Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Netscape hurts Mozilla

Netscape hurts Mozilla
megasad
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 22, 2002, 08:42 AM

Mozilla 1.2b and Netscape 7.0 installed under 10.2.1, most is well. Except...

When I apply the Pinstripe theme in Mozilla, it changes appropriately and sticks through any number of restarts. Netscape cannot use the theme, this I know, and so when I start it up it uses the 'Classic' theme. So I quit Netscape and open Mozilla... And it is 'Classic' too.

WTF?

Also, when I apply the 'Modern' theme in Netscape, in the hope that, if I explicitly tell them to use different themes, all will be well, Netscape is Modern until I start Mozilla. Then, upon changing Mozilla back to Pinstripe, Netscape is Classic again.

Please tell me; is there any way to stop this annoying behaviour? Or is it something I will just have to live with?

Thanks,
Simon
BayBook (13" MacBook Pro, 2.4GHz Core 2 Duo, 4GB RAM, 1TB HD) // BayPhone (iPhone 4, 32GB, black)

chris v
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 22, 2002, 10:47 AM

Sounds as though they're sharing the same set of prefs. Do your bookmarks update in both when you make changes in one? Not sure how to re-route prefs for either one. That's definitely not an optimal situation, though.

CV

When a true genius appears in the world you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him. -- Jonathan Swift.

megasad  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 22, 2002, 01:32 PM

Mm-hmm; I bookmark a page in Mozilla, quit Mozilla, open Netscape and there it is in the Bookmarks.

Also, I use a custom userChrome.css file for Mozilla and I just noticed that Netscape uses it as well.

Does anyone know how to stop Netscape being all grabby grabby?
BayBook (13" MacBook Pro, 2.4GHz Core 2 Duo, 4GB RAM, 1TB HD) // BayPhone (iPhone 4, 32GB, black)

Gul Banana
Mac Elite
Oct 22, 2002, 08:55 PM

The question that springs to mind is why you need both... it's not like pages will render differently in one than the other.
[vash:~] banana% killall killall
Terminated

megasad  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 23, 2002, 07:48 AM

Originally posted by Gul Banana:
The question that springs to mind is why you need both... it's not like pages will render differently in one than the other.
In theory, and in my experience to date, you are correct. However, to test the websites that I make, I keep a current copy of every browser available for OS X.

Plus, if the programmers are halfway competent, this shouldn't be an issue; simply tell Netscape to use a ~/Library/Netscape/ rather than ~/Library/Mozilla/. Or, better yet, ~/Library/Preferences/Netscape/. Or am I missing something?

-Simon

sdagley
Oct 23, 2002, 02:11 PM

Originally posted by megasad:
Mozilla 1.2b and Netscape 7.0 installed under 10.2.1, most is well. Except...

When I apply the Pinstripe theme in Mozilla, it changes appropriately and sticks through any number of restarts. Netscape cannot use the theme, this I know, and so when I start it up it uses the 'Classic' theme. So I quit Netscape and open Mozilla... And it is 'Classic' too.

WTF?

Please tell me; is there any way to stop this annoying behaviour? Or is it something I will just have to live with?
Yes, you're missing something in that the back-end code in Netscape 7.0 is Mozilla. As developers we want them to be able to use the same preferences as it makes testing easier. If you're using the same profile between Mozilla and Netscape 7.0 of course changes you make in one will affect the other. Create one profile for use in Netscape 7.0 and another for use in Mozilla if you don't want that to happen.

snerdini
Senior User
Oct 23, 2002, 02:14 PM

Originally posted by sdagley:

Create one profile for use in Netscape 7.0 and another for use in Mozilla if you don't want that to happen.
DAMN that's a good idea. Now why didn't I think of that?

megasad  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 24, 2002, 02:52 PM

Originally posted by sdagley:

Yes, you're missing something in that the back-end code in Netscape 7.0 is Mozilla. As developers we want them to be able to use the same preferences as it makes testing easier. If you're using the same profile between Mozilla and Netscape 7.0 of course changes you make in one will affect the other. Create one profile for use in Netscape 7.0 and another for use in Mozilla if you don't want that to happen.
I've made separate profiles for both Mozilla and Netscape and, whilst they let me change the theme and keep them from interfering with each other, I'm forced to endure a prompt every time I start up either browser. Is there any way to skip the prompt? Tell Netscape to use the Netscape profile, Mozilla to use the Mozilla one?

sdagley
Oct 25, 2002, 08:35 PM

Originally posted by megasad:

I've made separate profiles for both Mozilla and Netscape and, whilst they let me change the theme and keep them from interfering with each other, I'm forced to endure a prompt every time I start up either browser. Is there any way to skip the prompt? Tell Netscape to use the Netscape profile, Mozilla to use the Mozilla one?
We're working on being able to launch w/o always getting the prompt when you have more than 1 profile. That might not help you though as you're still asking for Mozilla and Netscape builds to treat profiles as seperated by app. I will mention your issue to the engineer working on the profile code.

What may be more useful to you is being able to run both Netscape and Mozilla builds at the same time (as long as they're using seperate profiles) which we're also working on.

Forum Links
Forum Rules