Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > News > Tech News > Linux drops support for Intel i386 processors in kernel

Linux drops support for Intel i386 processors in kernel
NewsPoster
MacNN Staff
Dec 16, 2012, 03:13 PM

Linux is phasing out support for Intel's i386 architecture, in an effort to simplify maintenance to the operating system's kernel. The changes in the 3.8 version of the kernel marks a departure of the OS from the processor that Linus Torvolds developed Linux on in 1991, an architecture the software supported long after the rest of the computing industry moved on to other architectures.

A Git commit by Ingo Molnar of Red Hat claims that the removal of support for 386-DX/SX processors "zaps quite a bit of complexity" in the kernel, which caused trouble to those working behind the scenes when updating SMP primatives. A "nostalgic cost" was associated with the change, namely the original 386 DX33 system would not "boot modern Linux kernels anymore." A response back by Torvolds states "I'm not sentimental. Good riddance." The recently released Linux 3.7, though not mentioning the removal of i386, does add in ARM multi-platform and ARM 64-bit support, a virtual extensible LAN tunnelling protocol, and Intel "supervisor mode access prevention" support.

demani
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 17, 2012, 09:27 AM

there's a difference between removing the i396 architecture and the removal of support for the 386/486 chips.

cgc
Professional Poster
Dec 17, 2012, 10:05 AM

Originally Posted by demani View Post
there's a difference between removing the i396 architecture and the removal of support for the 386/486 chips.
You can't reason with the MacNN Spambot...it knows no pain.

Forum Links
Forum Rules