Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Alternative Operating Systems > iTunes on External Drive larger than free hard disk space on PC

iTunes on External Drive larger than free hard disk space on PC
Pastor41
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 16, 2006, 10:02 PM

I backed up my iBook onto an External Drive, capacity 150Gb. iBook now stolen. I wish to transfer my iTunes music library from External Drive to my PC. I have 28.9Gb of music in my iTunes folder on the external hard drive. I have only 11.6Gb free on the PC's hard drive. Obviously a straight "Import" will be easiest but will not fit. I want to have the music also so I can upload to a 60GB iPod Video from the PC.

Can I leave the music on the external drive and play from iTunes whenever?

Thing is, I can't see an option to have iTunes show all the music on the external hard drive. I went to "Edit - Preferences - Advanced", and this was the path there:

CDocuments and Settings\Administrator\My Documents\My Music\iTunes\iTunes Music

I Tried changing the path to my "F" drive (external hard drive), but when I go back to iTunes I can't see the music on the "F" Drive. When I shut down my PC and resart, iTunes has gone back to the path I list above.

How can i: a) Keep my music on the "F" / External Drive and be able when iTunes is open to select a track from drive "F"?

b) How do I delete a song from the iTunes library, but not from My Music folder?

Much obliged for any help

I am running iTunes Version 6 on Windows XP Pro.

DoGoodDrugs
Apr 17, 2006, 12:44 PM

in order to keep the music from transfering to your PC (you want to keep it on the external disk) just go to your itunes preferences, advanced tab, General tab, then uncheck "copy files to iTunes Music folder when adding to library"

if you want to delete the song from your itunes list without deleteing it from the music folder. just click on the song, press delete, there should be a window that pops up and says "do you want to move the file to the trash, or keep it" moving it to the trash will trash it, keeping it will not do anything.

hope this helps a little

ghporter
Administrator
Apr 17, 2006, 07:22 PM

Yup. My library is on a network drive so ALL the computers on my network can see it; iTunes (both Mac and Windows versions) supports putting the files wherever you want them-and there's nothing different when running Windows on your Mac.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Ryknow215
Apr 17, 2006, 11:02 PM

Yup, do exactly as DoGoodDrugs describes in the Advanced tab of iTunes preferences. That's how I listen to my songs without iTunes importing them into my library. I was running out of space on my iBook, so I keep all my music and back up my documents onto a 40 GB external hard drive.

Now if only I could do this with iPhoto, I would be in good shape...
21.5" iMac | OS X 10.6.4 | 3.06 GHz | 4GB DDR3
Motorola Droid | 2.2 Froyo
Playing together nicely!

Forum Links
Forum Rules