Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > WMP 9 for Mac is here

WMP 9 for Mac is here
Art Vandelay
Professional Poster
Nov 7, 2003, 05:54 PM

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/win...x/default.aspx

Haven't run it through its paces yet, but does seem to be faster. Also, it has a new plugin that Safari recognizes.
Vandelay Industries

ryaxnb
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 7, 2003, 05:56 PM

Yipee! I was waiting for this.
Trainiable is to cat as ability to live without food is to human.
Steveis... said: "What would scammers do with this info..." talking about a debit card number!

Art Vandelay  (op)
Professional Poster
Nov 7, 2003, 06:08 PM

The new plugin does work well in Safari. Finally, MS decided to make a standard Netscape API plugin for WMP.
Vandelay Industries

klinux
Senior User
Nov 7, 2003, 06:17 PM

Not that Mac support it but I am disappointed with this:

* 5.1 discrete to stereo fold down only

Seriously, when is 5.1 coming as a standard on Macs as it is becoming standard on PC motherboards?

G5 represented a departure from the past but most of the time we had to wait for DDR, SATA, etc
One iMac, iBook, one iPod, way too many PCs.

jasong
Mac Elite
Nov 7, 2003, 06:25 PM

The interface doesn't match Panther. I guess that is expecting way too much of MS.

-- Jason

schk
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 7, 2003, 06:28 PM

Finally, no more reference files being downloaded before viewing windows media files in Safari. Real Networks needs to get off their asses and update realplayer so it does the same as well as work with expose. Also, how come MS media player can't keep the video playing while the window is moved, sloppy programming?

gorickey
Posting Junkie
Nov 7, 2003, 06:31 PM

FINALLY!!

iamnotmad
Senior User
Nov 7, 2003, 06:45 PM

Where's a good site to test out the plug-in for safari?

gorickey
Posting Junkie
Nov 7, 2003, 06:46 PM

Originally posted by iamnotmad:
Where's a good site to test out the plug-in for safari?
ESPN.com

Actually, about 3/4 of all the Web...seriously, everybody uses the 9 codecs now...

Anybody know how to turn down the volume with the Safari WMP plug-in?

bewebste
Senior User
Nov 7, 2003, 06:46 PM

It times out for me every time I try to download from the link on that page. Is anyone else having problems downloading?

OAW
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 7, 2003, 06:57 PM

Seems OK for small files. However, I tried it on a 300 MB WMV file it played OK for the first 30 seconds or so. After that I got decent audio but the video only showed a frame every 10- 15 seconds. Constant beachballs at that point as well. This was on an iBook 700.

On a positive note the Safari plug-in seems to work just fine.

OAW

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Location: Dangling something in the water… of the Arabian Sea
Nov 7, 2003, 07:01 PM

Is this the Safari plugin supposed to work?

When I go to MSNBC.com to check out the videos, up pops a browser window for the video. When I click on the speed I want, Safari says it can't play it but asks me if I want to try WMP.

I say yes and it plays fine.

However, I would have expected it to play in the browser window.

What can I set to change this?

Anyways, otherwise I like it. A nice upgrade.

iamnotmad
Senior User
Nov 7, 2003, 07:02 PM

Originally posted by gorickey:
ESPN.com

Actually, about 3/4 of all the Web...seriously, everybody uses the 9 codecs now...

Anybody know how to turn down the volume with the Safari WMP plug-in?
ESPN media beachballs my Safari... have to force quit

Developer
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 7, 2003, 07:09 PM

Thank god it's here finally!
Nasrudin sat on a river bank when someone shouted to him from the opposite side: "Hey! how do I get across?" "You are across!" Nasrudin shouted back.

Art Vandelay  (op)
Professional Poster
Nov 7, 2003, 07:26 PM

Originally posted by Eug Wanker:
Is this the Safari plugin supposed to work?

When I go to MSNBC.com to check out the videos, up pops a browser window for the video. When I click on the speed I want, Safari says it can't play it but asks me if I want to try WMP.

I say yes and it plays fine.

However, I would have expected it to play in the browser window.

What can I set to change this?

Anyways, otherwise I like it. A nice upgrade.
Sounds like you still have the old plugin or you didn't relaunch Safari after installing WMP9.
Vandelay Industries

Developer
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 7, 2003, 07:42 PM

Oh man, I hate VISE installers. This thing is searching my hard disk for over half an hour now and going.

Edit:
Done after just over one hour. Whatever that installer was searching it was doing so very thoroughly.
( Last edited by Developer; Nov 7, 2003 at 08:08 PM. )
Nasrudin sat on a river bank when someone shouted to him from the opposite side: "Hey! how do I get across?" "You are across!" Nasrudin shouted back.

spatterson
Mac Elite
Nov 7, 2003, 07:52 PM

It looks allright... Atleast you can see and here more audio codecs.

Busemann
Mac Elite
Nov 7, 2003, 08:08 PM

Hmm.. if i resize the playing safari-window, the video disappears it seems. Anyone else?

Mediaman_12
Professional Poster
Nov 7, 2003, 08:08 PM

7MB download, and I think the server is getting hammered, only getting 2.9KB per sec download speed. MS needs to take a leaf out of Apples book when it comes to popular downloads.

Epicurus
Nov 7, 2003, 08:12 PM

Doesn't seem to work at Microsoft's Xbox site. They have a bunch of trailers for their games, but when you view them it gives an unknown plugin extension.

Developer
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 7, 2003, 08:12 PM

Looks almost like a Cocoa app.

I didn't have write privileges to my Applications folder any more. Was this this installer?
( Last edited by Developer; Nov 7, 2003 at 08:20 PM. )

Twilly Spree
Senior User
Nov 7, 2003, 08:21 PM

WiMP 9 is welcome because so many websites use that codec.

I don't have much practical use for it and it is still the crap carbon its sibling WiMP 7 for OS X was. Essentially this looks like WiMP 7 with the WiMP 9 codecs. I don't see much difference.

[APi]TheMan
Mac Elite
Nov 7, 2003, 08:27 PM

Originally posted by Developer:
Oh man, I hate VISE installers. This thing is searching my hard disk for over half an hour now and going.

Edit:
Done after just over one hour. Whatever that installer was searching it was doing so very thoroughly.
It was probably searching your harddrive for illegal files. Microsoft always snoops where they don't belong.

Screw Microsoft AND the horse they rode in on.
"In Nomine Patris, Et Fili, Et Spiritus Sancti"

Scifience
Mac Elite
Nov 7, 2003, 08:28 PM

Originally posted by Developer:

Edit:
This was the installer sending Microsoft a copy of the contents of every file on your computer. They claim it is needed to ensure "digital rights management" security. They want to make sure you are not a pirate, so if they find a single pirated file on your computer they (1) refuse to install Media Player and (2) report you to the RIAA and other appropriate authorities.

Oh yeah, and don't forget to activate it and sign up for that Passport thingy.

Edit: APi beat me by one minute! Damn!

mcsjgs
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 7, 2003, 08:46 PM

On their download page:

ttp://www.microsoft.com/windows/windowsmedia/software/macintosh/osx/default.aspx

There are instructions on how to uninstall 7 before installing 9. Perhaps not doing this causes problems?

fortepianissimo
Senior User
Nov 7, 2003, 09:04 PM

Originally posted by Scifience:
This was the installer sending Microsoft a copy of the contents of every file on your computer. They claim it is needed to ensure "digital rights management" security. They want to make sure you are not a pirate, so if they find a single pirated file on your computer they (1) refuse to install Media Player and (2) report you to the RIAA and other appropriate authorities.

Oh yeah, and don't forget to activate it and sign up for that Passport thingy.

Edit: APi beat me by one minute! Damn!
you're joking righy? cuz Little Snitch detected nothing leaking (so far).

Spliff
Mac Elite
Nov 7, 2003, 09:14 PM

How come the Windows Media plugin doesn't appear in the list of "Installed Plug-ins" under Safari's Help menu?

I quit and relaunched Safari. I checked the plug-ins folder and the new plug-ins are there, but they're not listed in Safari.

When I click on a Windows Media link, it downloads the file and then I have to double-click it to play it. It still doesn't play it within the browser.

WTF is the point of that?

Spliff
Mac Elite
Nov 7, 2003, 09:26 PM

WMP 9 doesn't play video clips at http://nhl.com/intheslot/watch/video/index.html

When I try, I get this:

In order to play this file, you need to upgrade your media player to a version compatible with Windows Media Rights Manager V7. Select View Compatible Players below to see a list of compatible media players.

If your current media player does not have a Windows Media Rights Manager V7 compatible version, you should select a different player with the Windows Media Rights Manager V7 identifier.
( Last edited by Spliff; Nov 7, 2003 at 09:39 PM. )

mcsjgs
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 7, 2003, 09:26 PM

Originally posted by Spliff:
How come the Windows Media plugin doesn't appear in the list of "Installed Plug-ins" under Safari's Help menu?

I quit and relaunched Safari. I checked the plug-ins folder and the new plug-ins are there, but they're not listed in Safari.

When I click on a Windows Media link, it downloads the file and then I have to double-click it to play it. It still doesn't play it within the browser.

I think you still have the old WMP 7 files in your Internet Plug-Ins folder. Try deleting them and re-installing.

Spliff
Mac Elite
Nov 7, 2003, 09:40 PM

Originally posted by mcsjgs:
I think you still have the old WMP 7 files in your Internet Plug-Ins folder. Try deleting them and re-installing.
Well, I checked the plugin and it was version 9.0, but I deleted it and reinstalled and it worked this time. Weird.

Thanks.

fortepianissimo
Senior User
Nov 7, 2003, 10:08 PM

Originally posted by Spliff:

Mine works fine - both DRM and WMP plug-ins are listed in Safari's Help menu.

johnMG
Nov 7, 2003, 10:40 PM

I do *not* feel comfortable giving my administrator password to an installer for a MS product. However, I took the risk and did it anyway. Before I installed, I unplugged my dialup connection (no broadband) and tar'red and gzipped/bzip2'ed any media on my system (and dragged my original media folders to the Trash, doing a "Secure Empty Trash" too).

The "I'm sifting through your hard disk looking for contraband" portion of the install didn't take long. Here's pretty much what was touched during the install:

/Applications
/Applications/Windows Media Player
/Applications/Windows Media Player/Windows Media Player.app
/Applications/Windows Media Player/Windows Media Player.app/Contents
/Applications/Windows Media Player/Windows Media Player.app/Contents/MacOS
/Applications/Windows Media Player/Windows Media Player.app/Contents/Resources
/Applications/Windows Media Player/Windows Media Player.app/Contents/Resources/English.lproj
/Applications/Windows Media Player/Windows Media Player.app/Contents/Resources/English.lproj/HelpPages
/Applications/Windows Media Player/Windows Media Player.app/Contents/Resources/English.lproj/HelpPages/HTM
/Applications/Windows Media Player/Windows Media Player.app/Contents/Resources/French.lproj
/Applications/Windows Media Player/Windows Media Player.app/Contents/Resources/French.lproj/HelpPages
/Applications/Windows Media Player/Windows Media Player.app/Contents/Resources/French.lproj/HelpPages/Htm
/Applications/Windows Media Player/Windows Media Player.app/Contents/Resources/German.lproj
/Applications/Windows Media Player/Windows Media Player.app/Contents/Resources/German.lproj/HelpPages
/Applications/Windows Media Player/Windows Media Player.app/Contents/Resources/German.lproj/HelpPages/htm
/Applications/Windows Media Player/Windows Media Player.app/Contents/Resources/Japanese.lproj
/Applications/Windows Media Player/Windows Media Player.app/Contents/Resources/Japanese.lproj/HelpPages
/Applications/Windows Media Player/Windows Media Player.app/Contents/Resources/Japanese.lproj/HelpPages/htm
/Applications/Windows Media Player/Windows Media Player.app/Contents/Resources/Spanish.lproj
/Applications/Windows Media Player/Windows Media Player.app/Contents/Resources/Spanish.lproj/HelpPages
/Applications/Windows Media Player/Windows Media Player.app/Contents/Resources/Spanish.lproj/HelpPages/htm
/Applications/Windows Media Player/Windows Media Player.app/Contents/Resources/Swedish.lproj
/Applications/Windows Media Player/Windows Media Player.app/Contents/Resources/Swedish.lproj/HelpPages
/Applications/Windows Media Player/Windows Media Player.app/Contents/Resources/Swedish.lproj/HelpPages/htm
/Desktop DB
/Library/Application Support/MindVision
/Library/Caches
/Library/Caches/com.apple.ATS/501
/Library/Caches/com.apple.ATS/501/FondResourceCache
/Library/Caches/com.apple.LaunchServices.6B.csstore
/Library/Internet Plug-Ins
/Library/Internet Plug-Ins/DRM Plugin.bundle
/Library/Internet Plug-Ins/DRM Plugin.bundle/Contents
/Library/Internet Plug-Ins/DRM Plugin.bundle/Contents/MacOS
/Library/Internet Plug-Ins/Windows Media Plugin
/Library/Internet Plug-Ins/Windows Media Plugin/Contents
/Library/Internet Plug-Ins/Windows Media Plugin/Contents/MacOS
/Library/Internet Plug-Ins/Windows Media Plugin/Contents/Resources
/Library/Internet Plug-Ins/Windows Media Plugin/Contents/Resources/English.lproj
/Library/Internet Plug-Ins/Windows Media Plugin/Contents/Resources/French.lproj
/Library/Internet Plug-Ins/Windows Media Plugin/Contents/Resources/German.lproj
/Library/Internet Plug-Ins/Windows Media Plugin/Contents/Resources/Japanese.lproj
/Library/Internet Plug-Ins/Windows Media Plugin/Contents/Resources/Spanish.lproj
/Library/Internet Plug-Ins/Windows Media Plugin/Contents/Resources/Swedish.lproj
/private/tmp
/private/tmp/0
/private/tmp/501
/private/tmp/501/TemporaryItems
/private/var/log/secure.log
/private/var/log/system.log
/private/var/log/windowserver.log
/private/var/tmp

After testing it out on a WM9 file, I immediately dragged much of the above-noted files to the Trash and did another "Secure Empty Trash". This time it took a long while (maybe 10 minutes) and seemed to have frozen up, then completed. I think something was fishy, dunno.

schk
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 7, 2003, 11:20 PM

Have any of you successfully played clips that require DRM such as all the espn.com sites? On windows, I get a message I need to register in order to view the clips as part of DRM. I'm able to see DRM and WMP in my plug-ins for Safari and view other WM content, but with the ones on ESPN which require DRM it just opens up WMP and says cannot locate file. This was on the first install and subsequent deletion of all WMP and re-install.

Jim Paradise
Mac Elite
Nov 7, 2003, 11:38 PM

Does this update work with browsers other than IE or Safari such as Camino or OmniWeb?

addiecool
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 8, 2003, 12:35 AM

Guys this might sound like a obvious post but please restart your browsers for the plugin to be detected. It will work fine after that
iMac Intel Core Duo 2.0 Ghz 20", 1.5 GB RAM, 250GB
iMac G5 2.0 Ghz 17", 512 MB RAM, 160GB
iPod Video 5G 60GB White
Mighty Mouse sucks - "Bought the Logitech 518 Gaming mouse"
USB 2.0 Hard Drive Sucked - "Bought a Firewire Hard Disk"

[APi]TheMan
Mac Elite
Nov 8, 2003, 12:44 AM

Originally posted by fortepianissimo:
you're joking righy? cuz Little Snitch detected nothing leaking (so far).
They can still refuse to install the software if they find anything. Also, I should mention that this is all based on my opinion of Microsoft. I have no reason to believe anything fishy is going on, but I for one do not install Microsoft products other than Office.

Scifience: Hah. Try to be a little quicker next time Hehe

gorickey
Posting Junkie
Nov 8, 2003, 01:04 AM

Browser plug-in volume controls?

Where?

RooneyX
Mac Elite

It's the same crap as before but with the newer codec. I never even watch Windows Media content.

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Location: Dangling something in the water… of the Arabian Sea

Originally posted by addiecool:
Guys this might sound like a obvious post but please restart your browsers for the plugin to be detected. It will work fine after that
Yeah, I missed that the first time. Works fine now.

Also, MS explicitly says to erase WMP 7 first.

BTW, it works fine in MS IE 5.2 as well.

And man, some of you guys really need to get over this anti-Microsoft thing. Sheesh.

mcsjgs
Mac Enthusiast

Comprehensive List of Codecs Supported
Audio:

Windows Media Audio Decode (Format Tag: WMA2 = 353, WMA1=352)
Decodes all CBR profiles from 5kbps to 192kbps, 8kHz to 48kHz, mono and stereo
Decodes all v9 CBR profiles, from 5kbps to 320kbps, 8kHz to 48kHz, mono and stereo
Decodes all quality based, bit rate based and peak constrained VBR profiles
Supports WMA v1 and WMA v2 bit streams
Decodes WMV v9 Pro downsampled to stereo
Windows Media Audio Pro Decode
5.1 discrete to stereo fold down only
Windows Media Audio Lossless Decode
Windows Media Audio Voice Decode (Format Tag: 10)
Decodes all CBR profiles from 4kbps to 20kbps, 8kHz to 22kHz, mono
Supports Speech mode, Music Mode and post-filtering
G.726
Video:

Windows Media Video Decode (4CC: WMV7, WMV8, WMV9)
Decodes content encoded with WMV v7 and v8
Decodes content encoded with WMV v9
Decodes WMV v9 1p/2p CBR/VBR
Windows Media Video Image (4CC: WMVP)
Decodes CBR/VBR content
MS MPEG-4 Decode (4CC: MP42, MP43)
Decodes content encoded with MS MPEG-4 v2 and MS MPEG-4 v3
ISO MPEG-4 Decode (4CC: MP4S)
Decodes ISO MPEG-4 v1.0 (subset of simple profile)
Windows Media Video Screen v7

Targon
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 8, 2003, 01:16 AM

Is the plugin available to download by it self?

Will the plugin work in Safari if it is placed within the internet plugins folder wif out installing the entire WMP9 sh!tE?

So if dis is cool, anyone wanna host just the WM9 plugin for us to download?

Big up ya ches

[APi]TheMan
Mac Elite
Nov 8, 2003, 01:48 AM

And man, some of you guys really need to get over this anti-Microsoft thing. Sheesh.
/me questions whether or not this is the place to start an argument about Microsoft.

It's not. Needless to say I will not be installing Windows Media Player 9.

Targon
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 8, 2003, 01:51 AM

Originally posted by [APi]TheMan:
/I will not be installing Windows Media Player 9.
I dont wanna install the crap either but i NEED that plugin....reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeel baD.

cpac
Professional Poster
Nov 8, 2003, 02:26 AM

Originally posted by Jim Paradise:
Does this update work with browsers other than IE or Safari such as Camino or OmniWeb?
Works in Camino.

In OW I get audio, but no video. Not sure where the problem is exactly...

(an easy site for quick testing is MSNBC)
cpac

blackbird_1.0
Mac Elite
Nov 8, 2003, 04:19 AM

could someone just host the plugin for download, are their any dependencies the plugin needs?
Apple II GS | Powerbook 165 | iMac Rev. A 96mb RAM| iBook G3 500mhz, 128mb RAM | Power Macintosh G5 1.6ghz, 2.25gb RAM | Black MacBook 2ghz, 2gb RAM | iPhone Rev. A 8gb HD

legacyb4
Mac Elite
Nov 8, 2003, 06:14 AM

Bet you that's Microsloth's "subtle" way of saying "you want it, use a Windows machine..."

Cheers.

Originally posted by Mediaman_12:
7MB download, and I think the server is getting hammered, only getting 2.9KB per sec download speed. MS needs to take a leaf out of Apples book when it comes to popular downloads.
Macbook (Black) C2D/250GB/3GB | G5/1.6 250GBx2/2.0GB
Free Mobile Ringtone & Games Uploader | Flickr | Twitter

addiecool
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 8, 2003, 07:34 AM

..... And man, some of you guys really need to get over this anti-Microsoft thing. Sheesh.
Like yeah.... I know they are crap and all but cut it out people...
iMac Intel Core Duo 2.0 Ghz 20", 1.5 GB RAM, 250GB
iMac G5 2.0 Ghz 17", 512 MB RAM, 160GB
iPod Video 5G 60GB White
Mighty Mouse sucks - "Bought the Logitech 518 Gaming mouse"
USB 2.0 Hard Drive Sucked - "Bought a Firewire Hard Disk"

Cadaver
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 8, 2003, 09:42 AM

Here's another oddity - when watching a news clip from MSNBC, the video plays just fine when its in the active (topmost) window. But when the video window is not the active window, the frame rate drops by at least half. And this is on a 2x2GHz G5.

Colonel Panic
Senior User
Nov 9, 2003, 01:17 PM

does anyone else find it troubling that this release is not a "big deal" at the Mac BU site (www.microsoft.com/mac). In fact, I think the links there, if followed, still lead to WMP 7.1. (unless i am missing something)

is this evidence of a de-emphasis of the Microsoft Mac BU at Microsoft in favor of more direct ports? I think the Mac BU model served the mac community pretty well - far better than the earlier model without a dedicated mac unit that produced "champs" like Word 6 - a hideous port that wasn't fixed until Office 98, a good port with additional mac-specific features from the Mac BU.

ever since kevin browne left, it seems to have been much less of a presence, and maybe even is being slowly phased out?

Preciousss
Forum Regular
Nov 9, 2003, 10:22 PM

Man, what is it with M$? The download isn't in the Mac section of the site, the uninstall instructions are for OS9, and one of their MVPs on their newsgroups says it's OK to just run the installer without having to uninstall anything. This last part is contrary to everything I've read in these forums, and I'm much more inclined to trust all of you.

Someone recommended trashing the DRM file in the Library/Internet Plug-Ins folder, in addition to the main WiMP folder and the prefs file. Over in the M$ WiMP newsgroup, people seem to be having problems with the installer messing up their permissions in a way that DU can't fix. WTF?

As much as I'd like to view all that content I wasn't able to with WiMP 7, I'm just not in the mood to troubleshoot to this extent for a stupid media player. It shouldn't have to be this hard.

Forum Links
Forum Rules