Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Political/War Lounge > OMG consumer confidence is down

OMG consumer confidence is down
el chupacabra
Mac Elite
Sep 29, 2009, 12:01 PM

link1
link2

As you can see the fictitious numbers of the "consumer confidence index" fell from 54.5 to 53.1
(A total of 1.4 percentage points)..signaling something....

What I find amusing about this economic condition is the back and forth hypocrisy and flip flopping on logic.
Am I the only one who thinks it's a good thing people are buying less plastic crap they don't need; and living more by their means? Am I the only one who sees this as the answer to what many people have been hoping for? Why does everybody cheer when these ridiculous numbers reflect people buying more for the sake of buying more...and supporting jobs for the sake of supporting jobs regardless of the useless job the person may be doing for a useless scamming company that shouldn't exist; why would we want that? Frankly I'd rather a person be on welfare than wasting resources producing products society doesn't would do better without....driving up the cost of resources the whole while.

As a conservative who believes in conserving the environment, conserving resources, conserving 'real' labor, conserving my purchases, I like to see the CCI go down. Less purchasing means saving more oil, timber, water, energy, less exploitation, lower prices; and less waste and forest destruction in general.
These economic times could be used to our advantage. We could have lost AIG, and Citi group permanently
That alone would have made it worth it. The day these companies declared they were in trouble should have been a day of celebration not of panic and bailout. We could have then banned much of their business practices just like many other nations did so long ago. But instead our couch-class stood up and screamed "JOBS JOBS!!1!1!!! JOBS! WE NEED TO SAVE DER' JOBS TO SAVE DA ECONOMY"

On a tangent:
As I read through the news today I saw Starbucks is making instant coffee to help it through the tough times. I was thinking what a waste of cropland/forest coffee and tobacco is...and was reminded how liberal environmentalist types want marijuana to be legal so we can all use it... like alcohol; and was wondering how much of the rain forests would need to be leveled to make way for these hippies' to get their cheap fix.

It just seems nobody has any linear logic now days, they say they believe in 1 philosophy and then support something that contradicts that philosophy.

Does anyone else care whether the confidence index goes up or down or stays the same? And if you want it to go up why???

Snow-i
Professional Poster
Sep 29, 2009, 02:03 PM

blah blah motherland blah blah the worker will prevail...

Forum Links
Forum Rules