Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Car insurance gone wild, WTF?

Car insurance gone wild, WTF? (Page 2)
imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Sep 4, 2011, 06:44 PM

Originally Posted by Shaddim View Post
People who have money are loathe to throw money away, that's one of the reasons why they have it. 250% more than a daily driver M3, for a car that is listed as a strictly pleasure vehicle, is a little excessive. It's not a big deal, I thought it would make an interesting anecdote, but it seems that it's just another thing that makes people around here angry. "Grrr, why would you complain? Now we're mad at you. Grrr."
How you spend your money has absolutely no bearing on your car insurance. And, unfortunately, your clean driving record doesn't really have a lot of bearing either. You could stand in front of your insurance agent's office and scream at the top of your lungs that you'll never drive it hard, drive above 15 mph, etc, but the fact is that insurance companies see anything with two or four wheels as an accident waiting to happen. An Italian mid-engined supercar with expensive electrics and complex mechanicals isn't going to do anything to help that. Is it really that confusing to you? A M3 is pretty standard fare across the US. A Gallardo isn't. You're moving up several classes of cars from a sports coupé to a supercar. If you were moving up from a M3 to something like a M5 or M6, I would be surprised with such an increase. But from a M3 to Gallardo would be like me going from my '99 Accord to a brand new M3, really. I'd expect to probably quadruple what I pay now for insurance. I'm not mad at you for having money, I frankly couldn't care less how much you're worth. Expecting such a huge increase on such a huge change of cars just seems like common sense to me.

Shaddim  (op)
Clinically Insane
Sep 4, 2011, 10:37 PM

Originally Posted by Spheric Harlot View Post
That's exactly what a Lambo is, here; hence my post up above.

I can't judge whether it's just so enormously fun to drive that it's worth getting just for that, but I'll give the benefit of the doubt and just call it a "toy" rather than a "penile prosthesis", which is definitely appropriate to the German market.
Yes, it is that fun to drive. Not sure how Germans look at things, don't care, I'm buying it for weekend fun. There are tons of great curvy roads around here, many where I'll not see another car for miles. Good stuff.
Originally Posted by ort888 View Post
Well you bought a car whose only purpose is to shout to the world "Look at me, I'm rich! I'm rich, look at me! Look at me! Look at me! I'm rich!" and you're shocked that State Farm is going to charge you that much to insure it?

And, hey wait, that's what this post is for too. You know that 99% of the people on here can't relate in any way, you just wanted to talk about how you can buy a Lamborghini. It's important for you to let us all know you're buying a Lamborghini.
Really? So, if I were like the other 99% and talked about my wife's new Mini, that would be a-ok? Because the Lambo is expensive I should be ashamed of the fact I can afford one and just STFU? Hell no. I'm not getting one to tell people I'm rich, I buying one because it's incredible bang-for-buck in top-tier sports cars and it's crazy fun to drive.
If a magical elf came to me and told me I could have a brand new Lamborghini, for free, with all of the maintenance and insurance and all related costs provided for free, for the lifetime of the car, (and I'm not allowed to sell it). I would say no.

Because I would just feel like an ass driving it around. A total ass.

When a "normal" person sees a Lamborghini driving down the road, the first thing they think is, "What kind of jerk off owns that car. Probably a trust fund baby with tiny genitals, or some idiot with more money then sense." It's like putting on a 3 foot high jewel encrusted sombrero. It just screams, LOOK AT ME! LOOK AT ME! I HAVE STATUS! AND MONEY! LOOK AT ME! Whether you think that's the message you send with the car or not, that's the message almost everyone receives.
So, you'd just live in guilt, stick your head in the sand, and be careful not to offend others just because you've got more than the average person? **** that. That's just being a coward... and a bit of a hypocrite. What did I feel when I drove it last week? Adrenaline, lots of it.
This, too.

I dunno about Amerika, but when I shopped around for my current vehicle, the insurance premiums from other companies with identical coverage were easily double what I'm paying now.
Yep, shopped all the major players, all are in the same ballpark.
Originally Posted by Uncle Skeleton View Post
Lot of sour grapes in this thread. Congrats on the new toy, Shaddim.

PS. Insurance is the biggest reason I decided not to get another car when my last one died. Maintenance cost was a big one too, but insurance cost is ensured I wouldn't mind paying for a convenience-not-necessity, but to keep paying constantly was over the line.
Thanks. I know maintenance will be higher, but it isn't obnoxious like a V12 or a Turbo 8. A naturally aspirated V10 is a great happy medium, especially one with as much test time as the Audi 5.2. I have a Jaguar V12 E-type and I'm sure that's going to be interesting when it has issues.
Originally Posted by Snow-i View Post
You people are disgusting.

The man has a point with his insurance, and berating him for bringing up just because the dollar amounts are more than you're used to seeing in your bank account is disgusting.

On topic:

Have you asked the insurance company why its so much more expensive than you would think?
I guess I was thinking there might be some good discussion about the Gallardo, or car insurance, but it seems that most here just want to bust my nuts over it. I suppose in retrospect, I shouldn't be surprised.
Originally Posted by Lateralus View Post
We're in a recession. There are many on this board who are un-or-underemployed. People with copious amounts of personal wealth tend to catch flack during times like this.
Meh. I pay my dues. In the last 12 months I've donated >$2M, almost half of it to children's hospitals, paying for treatment that their parents can't afford. If I buy a few things here and there, my conscience is clean.
Originally Posted by gradient View Post
Really? I'm pretty sure that if I came on here to complain about cost of fuel for the Learjet I had just bought, the responses would be about the same. Would you call anyone who objected to those theoretical complaints "disgusting" too? Would the OP? I doubt it.
I can sympathize, the cost of fuel for a personal jet is insane. The insurance for one is even worse. It's part of the reason I don't own aircraft.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

Shaddim  (op)
Clinically Insane
Sep 4, 2011, 10:45 PM

Originally Posted by imitchellg5 View Post
How you spend your money has absolutely no bearing on your car insurance. And, unfortunately, your clean driving record doesn't really have a lot of bearing either. You could stand in front of your insurance agent's office and scream at the top of your lungs that you'll never drive it hard, drive above 15 mph, etc, but the fact is that insurance companies see anything with two or four wheels as an accident waiting to happen. An Italian mid-engined supercar with expensive electrics and complex mechanicals isn't going to do anything to help that. Is it really that confusing to you? A M3 is pretty standard fare across the US. A Gallardo isn't. You're moving up several classes of cars from a sports coupé to a supercar. If you were moving up from a M3 to something like a M5 or M6, I would be surprised with such an increase. But from a M3 to Gallardo would be like me going from my '99 Accord to a brand new M3, really. I'd expect to probably quadruple what I pay now for insurance. I'm not mad at you for having money, I frankly couldn't care less how much you're worth. Expecting such a huge increase on such a huge change of cars just seems like common sense to me.
You missed the point. A recreation only vehicle has a much lower rate than one you drive daily. I can rack up 100k miles /yr on an M5 and it would only be half of what I'd pay for full coverage on a Gallardo that will see <10k. So, I'm not getting full coverage, just liability and comprehensive.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

subego
Clinically Insane
Sep 4, 2011, 10:51 PM

What's your deductible?

Shaddim  (op)
Clinically Insane
Sep 4, 2011, 11:11 PM

Originally Posted by subego View Post
What's your deductible?
For collision? It would have been $500. I thought about going to $1000 but the difference was minor.
- Thomas Paine

subego
Clinically Insane
Sep 4, 2011, 11:18 PM

It should be 5K.

Shaddim  (op)
Clinically Insane
Sep 4, 2011, 11:37 PM

It should be 5K.
$5K isn't a listed option.
- Thomas Paine

Lateralus
Moderator Emeritus
Sep 4, 2011, 11:41 PM

Meh. I pay my dues. In the last 12 months I've donated >$2M, almost half of it to children's hospitals, paying for treatment that their parents can't afford. If I buy a few things here and there, my conscience is clean.
For the record, I wasn't siding against you - just voicing a fact.
I like chicken
I like liver
Meow Mix, Meow Mix
Please de-liv-er

subego
Clinically Insane
Sep 4, 2011, 11:47 PM

$5K isn't a listed option.
$1K is the maximum?

Shaddim  (op)
Clinically Insane
Sep 4, 2011, 11:59 PM

$1K is the maximum?
$2K is the max for comp and collision, still puts it over $1200. Maybe an agent can set it higher, but the online quote tool won't.

Edit: However, setting the comp from $500 to $2k dropped it from $387 to $338 every 6 months, w/o collision. That's nice, good idea.
- Thomas Paine

brassplayersrock²
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 5, 2011, 12:00 AM

" I feel when I drove it last week? Adrenaline, lots of it. " And then you'll get used to your new toy and be like, aw shut, that didn't last as long as I thought it would, what else can I waste my money on?

Shaddim  (op)
Clinically Insane
Sep 5, 2011, 12:14 AM

Originally Posted by brassplayersrock² View Post
" I feel when I drove it last week? Adrenaline, lots of it. " And then you'll get used to your new toy and be like, aw shut, that didn't last as long as I thought it would, what else can I waste my money on?
I dunno, the M3s have been great for >10 years now. I don't see wanting or needing a higher performance car. With the mods I plan, it's almost 600bhp with a curb weight of 3300lbs. That's rather beefy.
- Thomas Paine

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Sep 5, 2011, 12:26 AM

Personally, if you had just posted that you were getting a Gallardo, I don't think this thread would have gone the way it did. I think it was the whining about how expensive insurance was going to be for your super car that annoyed people the most.

Shaddim  (op)
Clinically Insane
Sep 5, 2011, 12:52 AM

Originally Posted by Wiskedjak View Post
Personally, if you had just posted that you were getting a Gallardo, I don't think this thread would have gone the way it did.
I don't.
I think it was the whining about how expensive insurance was going to be for your super car that annoyed people the most.
It's a recurring expense of >$1400, every 6 months, and it'll only be driven ~5-7k miles /yr. That's a decent chunk. We don't pay that much for all of our other vehicles combined. Also, I wasn't whining, I just thought it was absurd, which it is.
- Thomas Paine

mduell
Posting Junkie
Sep 5, 2011, 01:59 AM

Are you including off-road (track) coverage?

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Sep 5, 2011, 03:54 AM

Screw the hippies and their "I can't afford a Lambo" drivel, Shad...

...but that insurance *is* kinda cheap. It'd be more like $10k for me here.
Been inclined to wander... off the beaten track.
That's where there's thunder... and the wind shouts back.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Sep 5, 2011, 04:20 AM

Originally Posted by Doofy View Post
Screw the hippies and their "I can't afford a Lambo" drivel, Shad...

...but that insurance *is* kinda cheap. It'd be more like $10k for me here.
I'd be surprised if it wasn't even more than that. Especially modified. UK insurers do not like mods one little bit.
Though Doofy probably gets some kind of massive Royal diplomatic discount of course

For the money, you could import one of those crazy 1000bhp Skylines. Sideways at 100mph anyone? Plus its roomier than a lambo.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

Sealobo
Sep 5, 2011, 05:16 AM

whining about the insurance premium about one's supercar is one of the many perks.

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Sep 5, 2011, 06:29 AM

Originally Posted by Waragainstsleep View Post
I'd be surprised if it wasn't even more than that. Especially modified. UK insurers do not like mods one little bit.
Modified? Did I miss something?

For the money, you could import one of those crazy 1000bhp Skylines. Sideways at 100mph anyone? Plus its roomier than a lambo.
Why would you need to import one? Most of the 1k bhp ones are here already!
Shad would be throwing that money into the engine bay each week just to keep it running - they get a bit flaky and need constant rebuilds after about 650 bhp.
Plus, getting sideways in something with 4 wheel steer isn't all that pleasant.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Sep 5, 2011, 07:05 AM

Modified? Did I miss something?
He said he planned to modify it. Maybe that just means fuzzy dice and a vanity plate though.

Why would you need to import one? Most of the 1k bhp ones are here already!
I know there are a few over here but there may not be so many in the US.

Plus, getting sideways in something with 4 wheel steer isn't all that pleasant.
Never tried it. Sounded like fun though. It'd be amusing to overtake someone whilst sideways.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Sep 5, 2011, 09:49 AM

It's a recurring expense of >$1400, every 6 months, and it'll only be driven ~5-7k miles /yr. That's a decent chunk. We don't pay that much for all of our other vehicles combined. Also, I wasn't whining, I just thought it was absurd, which it is.
I've known since I was a teenager that the REAL cost of owning an exotic car is the insurance. Being able to afford the sticker price is only half the battle; you also need to be able to afford the insurance without complaining that it's absurd (which isn't all that different from whining).

My guess: you're wealthy enough to shrug off the purchase, but not wealthy enough to shrug off the insurance.

andi*pandi
Sep 5, 2011, 10:18 AM

Is this what you're getting Shaddim? If so, it's very very shiny.

As for insurance, I'd say if you've shopped around just take your lumps, pay the man, and go have fun!

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Sep 5, 2011, 10:36 AM

Its going to cost you more in fuel to drive it round the block twice than the insurance anyway, surely?

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Sep 5, 2011, 10:39 AM

Or he could self-insure. With the millions Shaddim apparently has he really doesn't need outside insurance.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Sep 5, 2011, 11:18 AM

Originally Posted by Big Mac View Post
Or he could self-insure. With the millions Shaddim apparently has he really doesn't need outside insurance.
Exactly, which I think is what he realized when he got a quote without collision.

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Sep 5, 2011, 11:26 AM

So, this Monday I'm buying a 2008 Gallardo Spyder (been shopping for a year now and finally found a great deal). I'm stoked, been looking forward to this for quite a while. Then, I get the quote from State Farm, who insures all of our stuff.

I'm >40.
Married.
Lived in the same place for >10 years.
No accidents... ever.
No tickets on my record, at all.

How much? Get this... $1440 for full coverage every six months, just for that car. That's more than double what I pay for my M3. I've checked other places and it's the same story, or worse. It's actually a pretty safe car, just an Audi R8 wearing a nice Italian suit, and I'll only be driving it an est. 5-10k mi /yr. Also, it's not like I live in a high crime area, and it'll be kept in a garage with a security system. My agent says it's likely because of the girls... but they're accident free and ticket free too. That's just ridiculous. I mean, I have to get the insurance, and I suppose I could just drop the collision coverage, but there's no reason why it's that much. It's highway robbery.
I'm just curious what you were expecting from this thread. Something like this?

"I know! When I upgraded from my Lambo to my Veyron, my insurance jumped to $3000 every six months!!! We're totally getting screwed by The Man. It's almost as bad as when they charge us for WiFi at the Hilton while those lucky poor people at Motel6 get it free."

Andy8
Mac Elite
Sep 5, 2011, 12:56 PM

Originally Posted by andi*pandi View Post
Is this what you're getting Shaddim? If so, it's very very shiny.

As for insurance, I'd say if you've shopped around just take your lumps, pay the man, and go have fun!
Shad said it was a Spyder:

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 5, 2011, 04:22 PM

If a magical elf came to me and told me I could have a brand new Lamborghini, for free, with all of the maintenance and insurance and all related costs provided for free, for the lifetime of the car, (and I'm not allowed to sell it). I would say no.

Because I would just feel like an ass driving it around. A total ass.

When a "normal" person sees a Lamborghini driving down the road, the first thing they think is, "What kind of jerk off owns that car. Probably a trust fund baby with tiny genitals, or some idiot with more money then sense." It's like putting on a 3 foot high jewel encrusted sombrero. It just screams, LOOK AT ME! LOOK AT ME! I HAVE STATUS! AND MONEY! LOOK AT ME! Whether you think that's the message you send with the car or not, that's the message almost everyone receives.
This is the dumbest and most idiotic comment I've read in ages. Now someone who can't afford it, shouldn't buy a fancy supercar, or a personal jet, or a large house...just because people will realize they have money?

When a "normal" person sees a Lambo driving down the road, they say "wow! That's completely awesome! I'd love to be able to afford one of those!" You seem to have your wires crossed.
Mankind's only chance is to harness the power of stupid.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Sep 5, 2011, 05:13 PM

You should forget the Lambo and get a Koenigsegg Agera R. 0-200mph in 17.68 seconds!

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Sep 5, 2011, 05:16 PM

When a "normal" person sees a Lamborghini driving down the road, the first thing they think is, "What kind of jerk off owns that car. Probably a trust fund baby with tiny genitals
I've never understood this fascination with the genitals of supercar drivers.
Do not not think that a good proportion of them could be massively endowed?

Huge parts -> self-confidence -> earning ability -> supercar.
Tiny parts -> no self-confidence -> no earning ability -> standing on side of road believing everyone has same size parts as yourself.

That's the logical answer, no?

subego
Clinically Insane
Sep 5, 2011, 09:05 PM

Originally Posted by ShortcutToMoncton View Post
When a "normal" person sees a Lambo driving down the road, they say "wow! That's completely awesome! I'd love to be able to afford one of those!" You seem to have your wires crossed.
It depends on what constitutes "normal".

When I went to an X5 from a Cherokee there was a noticeable downturn in on-road politeness from people with bangers.

I admit, I'd be a little tempted to be a dick to a guy in a Lambo.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Sep 5, 2011, 09:16 PM

With the mods I plan...
Just don't make another thread complaining if your insurance jumps again

Athens
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 6, 2011, 03:11 AM

Originally Posted by FireWire View Post
Well.. I find that amount quite reasonable! I pay that amount for my 2005 Mazda3! 29 years old, 13 years driving experience without an accident, lived in the same place for 10 years, only driver, don't use it for work/school, etc.. Are insurance cheaper in the states or I'm being raped?
If I remember correctly Quebec like BC has provincial mandatory insurance with private companies only allowed to offer additional optional insurance. If its like BC its the same rate for every one which gets reduced each year to a max % based on driving record. Overall its cheaper for new drivers, and drivers with families but more expensive for 10+ year drivers with prefect records that live alone. Private insurance looks at every one in your home not just you so for most its not really cheaper. Its only cheaper for the older single person who has a perfect record. So in that regards private insurance like in Alberta and the US "can" be cheaper. Have a accident on your record or a wife with a accident on her record or teenagers all bets are off.
Blandine Bureau 1940 - 2011
Missed 2012 by 3 days, RIP Grandma :-(

SSharon
Professional Poster
Sep 6, 2011, 10:06 AM

When I went to an X5 from a Cherokee there was a noticeable downturn in on-road politeness from people with bangers.
I'll be the first to admit that I'm nicer to certain cars on the road and not as nice to others.

Shaddim: Enjoy the Gallardo, it looks awesome. I'm amazed it is cheaper than a Tesla Roadster. Did you mention the color anywhere in the thread? Insurance rates aren't something us mere mortals can figure out. While I understand where you are coming from with this thread, the truth is that many people here probably thought you were looking for empathy instead of discussion and mutual confusion at the insurance companies. Since most people here can't feel any empathy for you because of different financial circumstances their emotions got overtaken.

Personally, I'm very happy that you are doing well. It means I'm one shot closer at actually getting to ride in a Gallardo! As for everyone else, why can't normal message board rules apply? If you think you'll be offended by a topic or discussion, just don't read it. I'm sure some of the people complaining here spend more than others do on cars, computers, vacations, homes, etc. so why pick on Shaddim?

Finally, when I see an exotic car on the road my first reaction is almost always directed at the car itself and how awesome it looks and never at the driver and whether they are a prick or not. Do I think to myself how the car costs more than my apartment? Sure I do, but I don't question how wealthy people spend their money. I'm far more likely to question how/why some ordinary Joe is driving an Escalade in a bad part of the city and complaining about the cost of gas.
AT&T iPhone 5S and 6; 13" MBP; MDD G4.

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 6, 2011, 10:51 AM

Also as an aside, I was always under the impression that the Audi R8 was based on the Gallardo platform, and not the other way 'round. I've gotten the opposite impression from this thread - anyone care to clarify?

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Sep 6, 2011, 10:52 AM

This thread has all the ear-marks of a "Legendary" thread, minus the page count. Pitiful.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Sep 6, 2011, 11:03 AM

Also as an aside, I was always under the impression that the Audi R8 was based on the Gallardo platform, and not the other way 'round.
The Gallardo predates the R8 by four years, so yes, apparently.

Lamborghini Gallardo - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Sep 6, 2011, 11:21 AM

Also as an aside, I was always under the impression that the Audi R8 was based on the Gallardo platform, and not the other way 'round. I've gotten the opposite impression from this thread - anyone care to clarify?
The R8 is based off of the 2008+ Gallardo, but there are a huge amount of differences between both cars, despite basic similarities.

Athens
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 6, 2011, 11:24 AM

What was retarded for me is my 1987 Honda Prelude compared to my 2012 Focus. The base insurance for the 2 cars is exactly the same. Sports Car + high theft car made my Prelude as much as a new car even though its 24 years old.
Blandine Bureau 1940 - 2011
Missed 2012 by 3 days, RIP Grandma :-(

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 6, 2011, 11:27 AM

Yeah, okay. Shaddim was pointing out that it was just an Audi R8 in an "Italian suit" I believe, but as I thought it's more that the R8 is the Gallardo in a "German suit". Semantics, but just caught my eye.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Sep 6, 2011, 11:32 AM

Originally Posted by The Final Dakar View Post
This thread has all the ear-marks of a "Legendary" thread, minus the page count. Pitiful.
Undoing a single permaban would be sure to get this car thread into High Gear.

subego
Clinically Insane
Sep 6, 2011, 11:57 AM

The ex just ran into someone on the tollway in my car.

Sonofa...

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 6, 2011, 12:00 PM

Cannot compute the following:

"The ex" and "[driving] my car"

Discuss.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Sep 6, 2011, 12:23 PM

Not everybody is on "hate" terms with the ex.

subego
Clinically Insane
Sep 6, 2011, 12:26 PM

She has no income, is in grad school for clinical psych, and is doing her practicum at a battered women's shelter in BFE.

I'd feel like a pretty big dick if I didn't hook her up.

subego
Clinically Insane
Sep 6, 2011, 12:27 PM

Not everybody is on "hate" terms with the ex.
There's that too...

Shaddim  (op)
Clinically Insane
Sep 6, 2011, 01:01 PM

Originally Posted by Andy8 View Post
Shad said it was a Spyder:

Except, mine is red.

You should forget the Lambo and get a Koenigsegg Agera R. 0-200mph in 17.68 seconds!
$1.5M for a Saab? If I were going to shell out that kind of money I'd get an Aventador, a Porsche 918 (when it's available), and a Spyker C8 T.
I've never understood this fascination with the genitals of supercar drivers.
Do not not think that a good proportion of them could be massively endowed?

Huge parts -> self-confidence -> earning ability -> supercar.
Tiny parts -> no self-confidence -> no earning ability -> standing on side of road believing everyone has same size parts as yourself.

That's the logical answer, no?
I've never understood the "he's compensating for something" thoughts either. Jealous wankers.
Originally Posted by imitchellg5 View Post
Just don't make another thread complaining if your insurance jumps again
People tell their insurance about small modifications? I'm just talking about chipping and a meager 3psi of boost.
Originally Posted by SSharon View Post
I'll be the first to admit that I'm nicer to certain cars on the road and not as nice to others.

Shaddim: Enjoy the Gallardo, it looks awesome. I'm amazed it is cheaper than a Tesla Roadster. Did you mention the color anywhere in the thread? Insurance rates aren't something us mere mortals can figure out. While I understand where you are coming from with this thread, the truth is that many people here probably thought you were looking for empathy instead of discussion and mutual confusion at the insurance companies. Since most people here can't feel any empathy for you because of different financial circumstances their emotions got overtaken.

Personally, I'm very happy that you are doing well. It means I'm one shot closer at actually getting to ride in a Gallardo! As for everyone else, why can't normal message board rules apply? If you think you'll be offended by a topic or discussion, just don't read it. I'm sure some of the people complaining here spend more than others do on cars, computers, vacations, homes, etc. so why pick on Shaddim?

Finally, when I see an exotic car on the road my first reaction is almost always directed at the car itself and how awesome it looks and never at the driver and whether they are a prick or not. Do I think to myself how the car costs more than my apartment? Sure I do, but I don't question how wealthy people spend their money. I'm far more likely to question how/why some ordinary Joe is driving an Escalade in a bad part of the city and complaining about the cost of gas.
Thanks. I did get a lot of looks, and when I stopped for gas several people were smiling and talking about how great it was to finally see one in person. Even let one guy sit in the driver's seat, he was blown away and grinning from ear to ear. One fella asked if it was a kit and his buddy smacked him the in head and said, "no, it ain't a kit, you dumbass".
Technically, that's true. What I was saying is the V10 in it is German, along with a very large chunk of the electronics. The R8 is the "poor younger cousin", though still a very nice car. I dislike the looks of the R8, but that's just chalked up to personal preference. One thing that annoys me is the aggressiveness of the traction control, finally I just turned it off completely and it was fine.
Originally Posted by Laminar View Post
Undoing a single permaban would be sure to get this car thread into High Gear.
I'd actually enjoy that. "Why not get an Evo! What's wrong with the Exige S? You could have bought both for that much money!"
( Last edited by Shaddim; Sep 6, 2011 at 01:08 PM. )
- Thomas Paine

subego
Clinically Insane
Sep 6, 2011, 01:25 PM

The house across the street is giving you the finger.

hayesk
Sep 6, 2011, 01:47 PM

$2K is the max for comp and collision, still puts it over $1200. Maybe an agent can set it higher, but the online quote tool won't.
Then call an agent. Online insurance shopping is developed for people buying Toyotas. Call a real agent, where you can have them adjust the deductible, and you can ask them questions.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Sep 6, 2011, 01:49 PM

I never looked at the price tag for the 'Saab". In its defence: 1) They do make jet planes; and 2) That 0-200mph figure is apparently a record for a production car.

I don't imagine the difference is quite so pronounced in a Lambo but chipping some cars is not what I would call a small modification. You'll add 10% to the bhp of anything normally aspirated but turbos are a different matter. I know the R33/4 Skyline GTRs gain about 200BHP from a chip and I believe the old Lotus Carlton got a similar gain. 30-40% power boost for some 911 turbos and a bunch of the Ford Cosworth turbos is also common IIRC.

Regardless, over here even a performance air filter would be enough to invalidate your insurance if you hadn't declared it. I wouldn't be surprised if the same was true of a go faster stripe though.

Forum Links
Forum Rules