Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > What's Good About Canada? C'mon, be nice here!

What's Good About Canada? C'mon, be nice here! (Page 2)
broxy5
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 10, 2005, 03:04 AM

Originally Posted by adam1185
Actually the border reopened to beef a few weeks back ( http://www.cbc.ca/story/canada/natio...4.html?ref=rss )
It was sort of annoying that the only thing that gave us trouble going into the states on thursday was a fresh package of deeelicious pepper salami that we forgot we had. We were accused of lying (after just moments earlier we denied having beef) and it was yanked out of the cooler. Probably later to be consumed by the customs officials. It's a long way from anywhere @ Wildhorse.

PB2K
Mac Elite
Aug 10, 2005, 03:24 AM

my girlfriend and I loved our trip to vancouver last week. it's clean, well organised and beautiful. canada rocks ! great muffins and brownies, though i think prices are too high. a typical breakfast and diner (self prepared) costed us a buck or 30. maybe because we shopped in jericho, where we only found biological foods.

me near kapilano river
{Animated sigs are not allowed.}

PB2K
Mac Elite
Aug 10, 2005, 03:29 AM

Originally Posted by mojo2
(Canadian accent) Dontcha know you've got a major criminal up there in Vancouver selling the marijuana stuff down here to the states. So, hey, don't you get all holier than thou on us, now!
i don't want to spoil your party but the canadian police had no charges against him. he was just selling seeds.

me @ amsterdam cafe

i was there one day after they raided the building, it really worries me that the canadians allowed it to happen. i know that the dutch gouvernment is also happy to send suspects to the usa at the request of the DEA. That is bad, countries should respect eachothers sovereignty. The dutch gouvernment is a bunch of kiss ass christian democrats

anyway, the canadians have their drug-policies better sorted out than the americans !!!
( Last edited by PB2K; Aug 10, 2005 at 03:39 AM. )
{Animated sigs are not allowed.}

Kevin
Baninated
Aug 10, 2005, 10:50 AM

Originally Posted by besson3c
Yes, Montreal and Quebec City are the oldest cities in North America.. a lot of history there too.
Actually I believe it's St.John's

dcmacdaddy
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 10, 2005, 11:22 AM

Canada Rock!

Although I have have only been to Ontario and the Maritime Provinces.
I had considered moving to Halifax and still think about it sometimes.

List of Canadian Favorites
Tim Horton's
Rush
Trans-Canada Trail
low population density
SCTV
Breton folk music
Mounties
Kate and Anna McGarrigle (folk duo)
restrictions on handgun ownership
Parks Canada
bi-lingualism
Bob & Doug MacKenzie
One should never stop striving for clarity of thought and precision of expression.
I would prefer my humanity sullied with the tarnish of science rather than the gloss of religion.

Kevin
Baninated
Aug 10, 2005, 11:27 AM

Canada has some mighty fine women I've met over the years. Most I still talk to.

Good beer, and most of the time, very very nice to Americans.

BTW about the gun laws.

Gun control has not worked in Canada. Since the new gun registration program started in 1998, the U.S. homicide rate has fallen, but the Canadian rate has increased. The net cost of Canada's gun registry has surged beyond $1-billion -- more than 500 times the amount originally estimated. Despite this, the Canadian government recently admitted it could not identify a single violent crime that had been solved through registration. Public confidence in the government's ability to fight crime has also eroded, with one recent survey showing only 17% of voters support the registration program

Thirty-seven of the 50 states now have right-to-carry laws that let law-abiding adults carry concealed handguns once they pass a criminal background check. Violent crime in the United States has fallen much faster than in Canada, and violent crime has fallen even faster inright-to-carry states than for the nation as a whole. The states with the fastest growth in gun ownership have also experienced the biggest drops in violent crime rates.

OOOOOOOOOOOONCOOOOOOOOOOMIIIIIIIIIIIIING

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Location: Dangling something in the water… of the Arabian Sea
Aug 10, 2005, 11:41 AM

According to Canadian police and the RCMP, more than half of illegal guns in Canada originate in the US.

Violent crime falling in USA? OK but the overall violent crime in the USA is MUCH higher in the USA than in Canada.

AB^2=BCxAC
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 10, 2005, 11:45 AM

Reasons to love Canada (for starters):

Paul Anka
Neil Young
Leonard Cohen
Joni Mitchell
The Guess Who
Sloan
Sarah Mclaughlin
Rufus Wainwright

Margaret Atwood
Northrup Frye
Marshall McLuhan
Robertson Davies
Alice Munro
Farley Mowat
Michael Ondaatje

Degrassi Junior High, Next Generation, etc.
Tom Green
The Edison Twins
Fraggle Rock
SCTV
The National Film Board: animations (Norman McLaren, Richard Condie, etc)
CBC Radio One's Morningside
"I stand accused, just like you, for being born without a silver spoon." Richard Ashcroft

dcmacdaddy
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 10, 2005, 11:45 AM

Originally Posted by Kevin
Canada has some mighty fine women I've met over the years. Most I still talk to.

Good beer, and most of the time, very very nice to Americans.

BTW about the gun laws.

Gun control has not worked in Canada. Since the new gun registration program started in 1998, the U.S. homicide rate has fallen, but the Canadian rate has increased. The net cost of Canada's gun registry has surged beyond $1-billion -- more than 500 times the amount originally estimated. Despite this, the Canadian government recently admitted it could not identify a single violent crime that had been solved through registration. Public confidence in the government's ability to fight crime has also eroded, with one recent survey showing only 17% of voters support the registration program

Thirty-seven of the 50 states now have right-to-carry laws that let law-abiding adults carry concealed handguns once they pass a criminal background check. Violent crime in the United States has fallen much faster than in Canada, and violent crime has fallen even faster inright-to-carry states than for the nation as a whole. The states with the fastest growth in gun ownership have also experienced the biggest drops in violent crime rates.

I didn't claim, or even imply, that less gun ownership in Canada equates to a safer, less crime-free community. You assumed that was my reasoning--dare I say you "projected" that was my reasoning--but it is not. I like the Canadian gun laws because it means there are less handguns in general cicrulation. I simply don't see the need for everyday people to be using handguns whether or not it is for personal safety. So, to reiterate, I like the fact there are less handguns in circulation in Canada regardless of its effect on crime levels.

Let's not turn this into a gun ownership debate. I have made clear my reasoning why I stated something. So, lets just leave it at that.
One should never stop striving for clarity of thought and precision of expression.
I would prefer my humanity sullied with the tarnish of science rather than the gloss of religion.

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Aug 10, 2005, 11:48 AM

Best thing about Canada? Celine Dion no longer lives here. She and her weird husband now live in the US.

Blue Mountain is sort of Ontario's version of Whistler/Blackcomb, except about a third as large..
No. For skiing/snowboarding, there's really no comparison to Whistler/Blackcomb, or even Tremblant (in Québec).

I've been to all of the above several times. I only go to Blue Mountain for snowboarding because it's best in Ontario. However, that's not saying much. It still sucks in comparison to many places in BC and Alberta.

Kevin
Baninated
Aug 10, 2005, 11:51 AM

Originally Posted by Eug Wanker
Violent crime falling in USA? OK but the overall violent crime in the USA is MUCH higher in the USA than in Canada.
Yes Eug. And the US is more populated than Canada.

That would be like me saying we have less crime in my town than say.. New York.

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Aug 10, 2005, 11:54 AM

Yes Eug. And the US is more populated than Canada.

That would be like me saying we have less crime in my town than say.. New York.
OK, to clarify: The violent crime rate is much higher in the US. ie. Violent crime vs. the population.

In fact, many Canadians will go to the US to study certain types of forensics, since even in big Canadian cities the numbers of, say, shootings & stabbings are too low. eg. You're better off studying it in Baltimore than you are in Toronto, which has a much bigger population.

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Aug 10, 2005, 11:57 AM

What's good? Well, the moose hunting isn't bad, and the fishing is ok.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

AB^2=BCxAC
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 10, 2005, 11:59 AM

Well, it's interesting that the murder rate is not always tied to death by handguns exclusively, that there are other population trends over the last few years which include the erosion of community funding from a famously stingey government that also impact crime statistics, and that Canada is still far safer for gun crime than the United States.

Also, I do believe gun registration is less about crime prevention than it is about advocating reposnsibility and care. You want to advocate prevention? Require gun owners to pay for insurance. You're required to get a driver's licence to drive and get insurance: most car thieves have their driver's licence, but not insurance...
"I stand accused, just like you, for being born without a silver spoon." Richard Ashcroft

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Aug 10, 2005, 12:13 PM

Originally Posted by AB^2=BCxAC
Also, I do believe gun registration is less about crime prevention than it is about advocating reposnsibility and care. You want to advocate prevention? Require gun owners to pay for insurance. You're required to get a driver's licence to drive and get insurance: most car thieves have their driver's licence, but not insurance...
You know, that's not a horrible idea. Most states that issue CC permits require that you post a bond of some sort. Just make it to where all new gun owners must pass a safety program, post a bond (get insurance), and then they can all concealed carry (provided they meet legal requirements).

Very good idea.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

dcmacdaddy
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 10, 2005, 12:33 PM

Originally Posted by MacNStein
You know, that's not a horrible idea. Most states that issue CC permits require that you post a bond of some sort. Just make it to where all new gun owners must pass a safety program, post a bond (get insurance), and then they can all concealed carry (provided they meet legal requirements).

Very good idea.
Excellent idea.

Just make it apply to ALL handgun owners, not simply those who are newly purchasing handguns.

Atomic Rooster
Aug 10, 2005, 12:40 PM

The Rolling Stone are here and they love it.

http://www.cbc.ca/story/arts/nationa...nes050809.html

Imagine 10$ a ticket!!!!

W

O

O

T !!!!!!!!!

BEER

It's 33 degrees C and I'm dyin'.

It's the humidity!!!

budster101
Baninated
Location: Illinois might be cold and flat, but at least it's ugly.
Aug 10, 2005, 12:42 PM

The Stones love it there? There must be massive amounts of drugs...

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Aug 10, 2005, 12:43 PM

Best thing about Canada? Celine Dion no longer lives here. She and her weird husband now live in the US.

No. For skiing/snowboarding, there's really no comparison to Whistler/Blackcomb, or even Tremblant (in Québec).

I've been to all of the above several times. I only go to Blue Mountain for snowboarding because it's best in Ontario. However, that's not saying much. It still sucks in comparison to many places in BC and Alberta.
I meant the hills are a third as large.. in other words, Whistler/Blackcomb makes Blue Mountain look like a walk in the park.

Actually, the best hills in Ontario are privately owned. I could list several private ski clubs that have steeper and more challenging terrain than BM. Right next door to BM, Cragleith, is where my parents are members at. They've got some great runs there.

Kevin
Baninated
Aug 10, 2005, 12:44 PM

Originally Posted by budster101
They didn't like it too much in the 60s and 70s.

BTW another reason

Atomic Rooster
Aug 10, 2005, 12:49 PM

Slight tangent for a second....

Violent crime in the United States has fallen much faster than in..... and violent crime has fallen even faster inright-to-carry states than for the nation as a whole. The states with the fastest growth in gun ownership have also experienced the biggest drops in violent crime rates.
Quote from Kevin in the "Bigotry is Funny" thread.

"Society says otherwise.

More crime, etc now than decades before.

Things aren't getting better that is for a fact".

Get ready for the SPIN.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Aug 10, 2005, 12:51 PM

Originally Posted by Atomic Rooster
Slight tangent for a second....

Quote from Kevin in the "Bigotry is Funny" thread.

"Society says otherwise.

More crime, etc now than decades before.

Things aren't getting better that is for a fact".

Get ready for the SPIN.

Good catch, I missed that connection...

Perhaps they should make "arguing for the sake of arguing" an olympic sport?

Atomic Rooster
Aug 10, 2005, 12:55 PM

Leave it to you to be negative bout anything. What a sad life.

Now I'm off to "Tim Horton's" for my daily fix of caffeine.

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Aug 10, 2005, 12:58 PM

I meant the hills are a third as large.. in other words, Whistler/Blackcomb makes Blue Mountain look like a walk in the park.

Actually, the best hills in Ontario are privately owned. I could list several private ski clubs that have steeper and more challenging terrain than BM. Right next door to BM, Cragleith, is where my parents are members at. They've got some great runs there.
I can't comment on your club, but I've been to a few private ones and was not impressed. I much preferred Blue actually, because of the better facilities and greater range. The other annoying part is some of the private ones had historically limited snowboarding to only certain runs. That and the fact the private ones are well... private. Instead of spending $$$$ on membership fees I'd rather just fly to BC.

BTW, is Aspen still closed to snowboarders? Talk about uptight.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Aug 10, 2005, 01:04 PM

Originally Posted by CanadaRAM
Depends... what day is it?

The Liberals (133) are hanging on by a quasi- sortof- shotgun wedding - coalition thing with the NDP (19), which gives them 151, compared with a combined 152 if the Reform...no sorry Conservative party (98) and Bloc Quebecois (54) combine votes, leaving the balance to 3 independents (including one disgraced Liberal) and one vacant seat due to the death of a member last month -- the member who cast the swing vote that defeated the non-confidence motion earlier this year. We clear on that so far?

http://www.parl.gc.ca/information/ab...tandings-e.htm

The ex-liberal member sitting as an independent -- well, you can find her name in the Oxford dictionary under the definition for "loose cannon". One of the Conservative seats in Vancouver was won by about 10 votes over the NDP candidate, (with approx 70 ballots improperly excluded), but the NDP guy just recently gave up his challenge for a court recount to run for mayor of Vancouver (a traditional step to the Premiership of BC), looking to replace the soon-to-be-ex Mayor who had broken with his civic party (causing political havoc in Vancouver), but who has just been appointed by the Liberals to the senate (still with me?).

In the mean time the collective breath is still being held for the Gomery commission report which will lay the blame for a few hundred million $ gone into advertising agency commissions, double billings and featherbedding (with the titillating possibility of Liberal party kickbacks), ostensibly to promote cultural programs (but really federalism) in Quebec prior to the last Quebec separation referendum (mais non, we don't use that word separation, we say c'est le sovereignty-association) -- which was narrowly defeated. Whatever the Gomery report says, it will be followed by dissolution of the Government and another election.

So, while the world debates WMD (or not), Evil non-western governments with nuclear programs (or not) and impending flu epidemics, back home we're set to collapse the govenment and possibly break up the country over who it was exactly who overpaid for the souvenir signed golf balls.

Homesick yet?
Heheh.. thanks for the concise summary!

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Aug 10, 2005, 01:07 PM

I can't comment on your club, but I've been to a few private ones and was not impressed. I much preferred Blue actually, because of the better facilities and greater range. The other annoying part is some of the private ones had historically limited snowboarding to only certain runs. That and the fact the private ones are well... private. Instead of spending $$$$ on membership fees I'd rather just fly to BC.

BTW, is Aspen still closed to snowboarders? Talk about uptight.
I guess I overlooked the fact you're a boarder, I can see how BM would provide the best experience to boarders.

According to my parents, a lot of members of the private clubs are somewhat against catering to boarders. It's hard to say whether this is because the majority skiers are trying to overpower the boarders, there are legitimate safety issues like the members claim, or if there is something else going on.

Membership fees are insane - pretty much limited to the ultra rich and snobby. My parents are retired school teachers, they simply bought into the club years ago when tuition was a hell of a lot lower.

budster101
Baninated
Aug 10, 2005, 01:14 PM

Leave it to you to be negative bout anything. What a sad life.

Now I'm off to "Tim Horton's" for my daily fix of caffeine.

Leave it to you to read something negative where it doesn't exist.*snip*

EDIT: All well in good right up to the unnecessary name calling.
( Last edited by ThinkInsane; Aug 11, 2005 at 01:36 PM. )

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Aug 10, 2005, 01:34 PM

Apparently obesity rates are rising in Canada. In America, according to "Super Size Me", obesity will soon be the leading cause of preventable deaths.

With restaurants like Tim Hortons willing to serve awesome donuts (or is it doughnuts?!) on every street corner, is obesity being treated as a serious issue in Canada, or are people still pretty dismissive of it being a problem?

budster101
Baninated
Aug 10, 2005, 01:49 PM

http://www.43things.com/things/view/13856

Stop Drinking Tim Horton's Coffeee. They may not put nicotine in it like the rumors say, but there are a list of other addictive substances they can use to put in it so you come back for more...

Want a link?

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Aug 10, 2005, 01:56 PM

Apparently obesity rates are rising in Canada. In America, according to "Super Size Me", obesity will soon be the leading cause of preventable deaths.

With restaurants like Tim Hortons willing to serve awesome donuts (or is it doughnuts?!) on every street corner, is obesity being treated as a serious issue in Canada, or are people still pretty dismissive of it being a problem?
It's of course a serious problem, but in previous years surveys have concluded that the average caloric intake in the US is much higher than in Canada. Canada isn't low by any means, but the US of A sets the gold standard. But yeah, public health types are often warning us about obesity/diabetes/heart disease etc.

Interestingly, since we're talking about Tim Horton's in this thread... Tim Horton's has been expanding into the US and one thing they noticed that people were coming back asking for refills, despite the fact that Tim Horton's doesn't give free refills. They couldn't figure out why... until they noticed that the usual sizes for coffee are generally much larger in the US.

They solved the problem by making Canada's medium USA's small, and Canada's large USA's medium. And they added a size for USA's large.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Aug 10, 2005, 02:07 PM

People are far more kind and curteous, especially on the roads. Plus going 100KPH seems cooler than only 60MPH.

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Aug 10, 2005, 02:11 PM

Originally Posted by sek929
People are far more kind and curteous, especially on the roads. Plus going 100KPH seems cooler than only 60MPH.
Not necessarily. People aren't that courteous in Toronto or Montréal. Mind you, it's no comparison to say New York. I hate driving in New York.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Aug 10, 2005, 02:15 PM

Yeah but coming from Ma$$hole-land its like a horse and buggy ride through the woods.

Spliff
Mac Elite
Aug 10, 2005, 02:16 PM

Originally Posted by Kerrigan
It's a nice place to visit in the summer, the people are friendly, prices are cheap... in all honesty there isn't much to dislike about Canada.
Yes, there is: Quebec Separatists, corrupt former Prime Minister Jean Chretien, lousy climate, annoying TV celeb Ben Mulroney (and son of corrupt former Prime Minister Brian Mulroney), Celine Dion, no equivalent of New York, Chicago, London, or Paris (Toronto and Montreal don't even come close).

Spliff
Mac Elite
Aug 10, 2005, 02:21 PM

Originally Posted by PB2K
my girlfriend and I loved our trip to vancouver last week. it's clean, well organised and beautiful. canada rocks ! great muffins and brownies, though i think prices are too high. a typical breakfast and diner (self prepared) costed us a buck or 30. maybe because we shopped in jericho, where we only found biological foods.

me near kapilano river
Minor spelling correction. It's Capilano River. Not trying to be a prig. Just trying to encourage correct spelling.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Aug 10, 2005, 02:24 PM

Originally Posted by Spliff
Yes, there is: Quebec Separatists, corrupt former Prime Minister Jean Chretien, lousy climate, annoying TV celeb Ben Mulroney (and son of corrupt former Prime Minister Brian Mulroney), Celine Dion, no equivalent of New York, Chicago, London, or Paris (Toronto and Montreal don't even come close).
Quebec City is about as close to Paris as you can get.

However, I don't see how equivalent cities makes for an argument. Would the US be better if it had a city equivilent to Toronto or Montreal?

Spliff
Mac Elite
Aug 10, 2005, 02:27 PM

- Swiss Chalet
C'mon, that restaurant is absolute crap.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Aug 10, 2005, 02:31 PM

It's not great (nor is St. Hubert.. are they somehow related?!), but as far as fast foody-type restaurants go, it's better than many of the choices here.

Spliff
Mac Elite
Aug 10, 2005, 02:33 PM

Quebec City is about as close to Paris as you can get.

However, I don't see how equivalent cities makes for an argument. Would the US be better if it had a city equivilent to Toronto or Montreal?

Canada's big cities are still small-time and provincial (although Toronto likes to think they're globally important). When you're in Paris, London, and New York, you feel the weight and significance of their culture. There is real depth there and history. They have global significance.

With Canadian cities, it's all veneer. You can tell we just recently crawled out of the bush, our hair still smelling of campfire smoke.

Don't get me wrong, I love Vancouver, Toronto, and Montreal, but they got nothing on London, for instance. London . . . now that's a city.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Aug 10, 2005, 02:38 PM

Canada's big cities are still small-time and provincial (although Toronto likes to think they're globally important). When you're in Paris, London, and New York, you feel the weight and significance of their culture. There is real depth there and history. They have global significance.

With Canadian cities, it's all veneer. You can tell we just recently crawled out of the bush, our hair still smelling of campfire smoke.

Don't get me wrong, I love Vancouver, Toronto, and Montreal, but they got nothing on London, for instance. London . . . now that's a city.
Toronto is one of the most multicultural cities in the world, so perhaps it doesn't have a clear identity and character like the other cities you mention? I mean, when you think of New York, you can sort of visualize a stereotypical depiction of a New Yorker...

Just a theory...

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Aug 10, 2005, 02:43 PM

Agreed.

You know, I love New York, but I wouldn't necessarily want to live there... Why is that place so damn dirty?

placebo1969
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 10, 2005, 02:48 PM

Originally Posted by sek929
Unfortunately, that's been the exact opposite of my (along with various family members') experience. I live about 30 minutes from the border and deal with a lot of BC drivers. They seem to drive quite fast and tailgate. Your mileage (or kilometers or kilometres) may vary.

Spliff
Mac Elite
Aug 10, 2005, 02:50 PM

Agreed.

You know, I love New York, but I wouldn't necessarily want to live there... Why is that place so damn dirty?
That's a question for New Yorkers.

I'm trying to remember who said that Toronto was like New York, but run by the Swiss.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Aug 10, 2005, 02:51 PM

That's a question for New Yorkers.

I'm trying to remember who said that Toronto was like New York, but run by the Swiss.
Carrot Top?

mojo2  (op)
Professional Poster
Aug 10, 2005, 02:56 PM

In her show, "Kathy Griffin is not Nicole Kidman," KG says Rene Angelil is the oldest living Canadian!

Atomic Rooster
Aug 10, 2005, 03:15 PM

What a pathetic prick you are.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Aug 10, 2005, 03:21 PM

[/i][/b]
Who is this?

budster101
Baninated
Aug 10, 2005, 03:23 PM

Wonderful.

Atomic Rooster
Aug 10, 2005, 03:26 PM

Wonderful.
Darn it! I ran into a moose on the way to Timmy's.

mojo2  (op)
Professional Poster
Aug 10, 2005, 03:46 PM

Darn it! I ran into a moose on the way to Timmy's.
At first glance it looked like Jesus Christ. Then, it kinda bore a resemblance to AR, himself!

If so, way cool portrait!

Forum Links
Forum Rules