Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Help with fundraising for photography project - The 12th Man

Help with fundraising for photography project - The 12th Man
MacBook78
Forum Regular
Oct 29, 2010, 09:11 AM

First let me say that I have no idea where to post this, but seeing as I am trying to sell an idea for fundraising this seems like the logical spot.

My name is Joe Toth, I have been a member of this board for the last year and a photographer for nearly 18 years. I cover sports and news in the United Kingdom, emphasis on sports. I have always been intrigued at what sort of atmosphere fans can bring to a sporting event.

I also feel that we put to much attention on the athletes and not on the people who make them the superstars they are.

So my project is plain and simple. I am going to try and photograph as many fans as I can from football teams in the United Kingdom for a gallery showing, website, and possibly book.

However, a lot of this planning and work will cost. Mainly the travel across the United Kingdom and all other costs associated with multiple photo shoots. I have teamed-up with a non-profit organisation online, Kickstarter, that allows people all over the world to back projects. I have set a certain amount I would like to raise over the course of 90 days. If I meet my target I get my funds for the project, if not, the people who donated the money lose nothing.

The positive thing for you - there are incentives to donating. For certain amounts donated, you will receive various items. There is something in it for everyone.

I have always hated asking for handouts, but as a photographer, funding for future projects always needs to come from somewhere.

If you are interested in hearing more about my project or know of anyone else who might be, please contact me or pass on my contact details. I am very passionate about making this happen in 2011 - 12.

Thank You For Your Support,

Joe Toth

Phileas
Mac Elite
Oct 29, 2010, 09:27 AM

Joe

Part of what I do to give back to the community is give business advice to start-ups of all descriptions, some in the not for profit and arts sector.

There is one universal golden rule: The more you've bootstrapped it, and thus proven the viability of your project, the easier it is to raise funds for it. Starting with a fundraiser, when really nothing appears to be in place but an idea, is incredibly hard.

I'd suggest getting the project going as much as you can, making the results public, and then applying for funding. I can see a real wealth of stories coming out of your idea. Good luck.

MacBook78  (op)
Forum Regular
Oct 29, 2010, 09:29 AM

Phileas, thank you for the advice. The whole purpose of the fundraising is to get things off the ground. But I understand your point and thank you. Once I get the fundraising website complete I will send it your way and see if you can help me out.

Joe

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Oct 29, 2010, 09:37 AM

Originally Posted by MacBook78 View Post
So my project is plain and simple. I am going to try and photograph as many fans as I can from football teams in the United Kingdom for a gallery showing, website, and possibly book.
That's going to be the ugliest showing/site/book ever made.

Have you tried writing to the Arts Council, F.A. or a few teams to see if they'd be interested in this sort of thing? Since the project results would actually be good promotion for everyone involved, I'm sure they'd drop a few quid your way.
Been inclined to wander... off the beaten track.
That's where there's thunder... and the wind shouts back.

MacBook78  (op)
Forum Regular
Oct 29, 2010, 09:39 AM

Doofy, yes that is the plan. But I am seeking this initial fund to get everything up and running so I can promote it to larger organisations.

I appreciate everyones ideas, but this thread was to get people interested in donating or forwarding the information onto others.

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Oct 29, 2010, 09:45 AM

Originally Posted by MacBook78 View Post
I appreciate everyones ideas, but this thread was to get people interested in donating or forwarding the information onto others.
Nobody's done that for my intended "Breasts of European Women" showing/site/book yet, so don't expect it with yours.

Grab yer local team. Ask 'em if they're up for this sort of thing, then ask 'em for tickets and travel to their away matches.
Been inclined to wander... off the beaten track.
That's where there's thunder... and the wind shouts back.

Phileas
Mac Elite
Oct 29, 2010, 10:46 AM

That's what I am saying. You've got to start something first, then you can ask others to contribute.

The only exception to this rule is having an established track record.

MacBook78  (op)
Forum Regular
Oct 29, 2010, 10:47 AM

Phileas,

You are 100% correct. But as a photographer, I do have a proven track record.

MacBook78  (op)
Forum Regular
Oct 29, 2010, 06:43 PM

Phileas
Mac Elite
Oct 29, 2010, 07:28 PM

Really nice idea, and I like the rewards you chose. There's a good correlation between what you give and what you receive.

Best of luck with it all.

Forum Links
Forum Rules