Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > How good is Finder burning in Panther?

How good is Finder burning in Panther?
threestain
Mac Elite
Nov 3, 2003, 09:50 AM

I've just upgraded to Panther, and my copy of Toast (5.1.3) doesn't work now, and I was wondering how good the finder burning is in people's experience - I haven't used it enough before, and I feel that I should, before I upgrade Toast and stop using it again!

eevyl
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 3, 2003, 10:32 AM

I only use the built in cd burning features of OS X in Panther. For my needs it works as expected and quite well. Finder burns Mac/Windows hybrid CDs and DVDs, and I can duplicate them using Disk Utility.

Quite basic, it depends on your particular needs.

nsxpower
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 3, 2003, 12:43 PM

The Finder burning was never BAD, per se. Just SLOW, because it creates an image (hence the copy process prior to burning), then burning and then verification (slower then Toast IMHO). For CDs this is not such a big deal, but when burning DVDs with 4Gb of data SPEED becomes a major factor ... Finder takes 2 hours and Toast about an hour at 1x!

Toast 6 is very nice
My Blog & Photos
PowerBook (Ti) 1Ghz � 1Gb � 60Gb � SD

DeathMan
Mac Elite
Nov 3, 2003, 09:51 PM

For some reason, blank cds don't even come up in the finder for me (panther). So I just use toast. I don't know what the problem is.

tritonus
Senior User
Dec 1, 2003, 04:21 AM

Originally posted by eevyl:
I only use the built in cd burning features of OS X in Panther. For my needs it works as expected and quite well. Finder burns Mac/Windows hybrid CDs and DVDs, and I can duplicate them using Disk Utility.

Quite basic, it depends on your particular needs.
Okay, maybe you can tell me how I can do this with Panther's Finder burning:

1. make an identical copy of an audio CD

2. burn data CD >650 MB (<700 MB)

(3. burn data CD >700 MB)

1) and 2) are very important to me, but I don't want to buy Toast just for that. Any help would be appreciated.
SwitCHerland, Europe
17" PowerBook 1GHz | WaterField SleeveCase | LaCie d2 250GB | AirPort Extreme BS, AirPort Express | iPod photo 60GB

eevyl
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 1, 2003, 06:46 AM

Originally posted by tritonus:

2. burn data CD >650 MB (<700 MB)

(3. burn data CD >700 MB)

1) and 2) are very important to me, but I don't want to buy Toast just for that. Any help would be appreciated.
1. You cannot. You could always import the audio CD as AIFF instead of MP3 with iTunes, so you don't lose quality, and then burn again.

2. I can burn 700MB data CDs with Panther's Finder just fine.

3. Dunno never tried > 700MB CDs.

tritonus
Senior User
Dec 1, 2003, 09:19 AM

Originally posted by eevyl:
1. You cannot. You could always import the audio CD as AIFF instead of MP3 with iTunes, so you don't lose quality, and then burn again.

2. I can burn 700MB data CDs with Panther's Finder just fine.

3. Dunno never tried > 700MB CDs.
Thanks, eevyl

1. Okay.

2. How do yo do that? I just put a brand-new 700 MB LaCie CD-R medium into my SuperDrive (PowerBook 17" rev. A). Finder says capacity 670 MB (?), free 660.7 MB. If I copy a 698 MB, I get the error message "not enough space". What am I doing wrong? Any advice?

3. Okay.
SwitCHerland, Europe
17" PowerBook 1GHz | WaterField SleeveCase | LaCie d2 250GB | AirPort Extreme BS, AirPort Express | iPod photo 60GB

JKT
Professional Poster
Dec 1, 2003, 11:22 AM

Originally posted by threestain:
I've just upgraded to Panther, and my copy of Toast (5.1.3) doesn't work now, and I was wondering how good the finder burning is in people's experience - I haven't used it enough before, and I feel that I should, before I upgrade Toast and stop using it again!
Er, why don't you just update (for free) to Toast 5.2.x? AFAIK, this works well in Panther.

MPMoriarty
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 1, 2003, 08:17 PM

I always thought it was possible to make a direct copy of an audio cd. I am away from my Mac at the moment so I can't really test it out.

So if you wanted to make a copy of a music CD, you would have to import all the tracks into iTunes and then burn a CD out of there?

SupahCoolX
Mac Elite
Dec 1, 2003, 08:43 PM

Can't you just pop in the audio CD, drag the individual song files to your HD (thereby copying them), eject the audio CD, and burn the audio files to a new CD?

ryaxnb
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 1, 2003, 10:49 PM

Originally posted by threestain:
I thought Toast 5 worked fine in Panther 7B85 and later; have you got the latest updates?
Trainiable is to cat as ability to live without food is to human.
Steveis... said: "What would scammers do with this info..." talking about a debit card number!

tritonus
Senior User
Dec 2, 2003, 04:31 AM

Originally posted by MPMoriarty:
1. I always thought it was possible to make a direct copy of an audio cd. I am away from my Mac at the moment so I can't really test it out.

2. So if you wanted to make a copy of a music CD, you would have to import all the tracks into iTunes and then burn a CD out of there?
1. If you do succeed, please describe how you did it.

2. That's what I learned.
SwitCHerland, Europe

tritonus
Senior User
Dec 2, 2003, 04:32 AM

Originally posted by SupahCoolX:
Can't you just pop in the audio CD, drag the individual song files to your HD (thereby copying them), eject the audio CD, and burn the audio files to a new CD?
No, you would get a data CD containing AIFF files. But your CD player would not play the CD as it is a data CD.
SwitCHerland, Europe

tritonus
Senior User
Dec 2, 2003, 04:42 AM

2. How do yo do that? I just put a brand-new 700 MB LaCie CD-R medium into my SuperDrive (PowerBook 17" rev. A). Finder says capacity 670 MB (?), free 660.7 MB. If I copy a 698 MB, I get the error message "not enough space". What am I doing wrong? Any advice?
SwitCHerland, Europe

eevyl
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 2, 2003, 04:53 AM

No idea, tritonus... It is true that I also cannot burn more than 660 MB of data.

JKT
Professional Poster
Dec 2, 2003, 07:29 AM

700MB = total capacity of the blank unformatted disk

670MB = capacity of the formatted disk, I would guess. There are also invisible files copied to the disk when you add things which can take up a few MB as well, hence the reduction to 660.7MB

You will never ever be able to burn 698MB to a 700MB CD.

serranot
Forum Regular
Dec 2, 2003, 09:08 AM

<snippage>
Why can't you use Disc Copy and select the "CD/DVD Master?" I have duplicated other CDs using that utility in Jaguar. I know Panther is a bit different in its implementation of Disc Copy, but it might have the same feature.
T-bob

Jim_MDP
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 2, 2003, 12:44 PM

Originally posted by serranot:
Why can't you use Disc Copy and select the "CD/DVD Master?" I have duplicated other CDs using that utility in Jaguar. I know Panther is a bit different in its implementation of Disc Copy, but it might have the same feature.
Again� because the original music cd is NOT, strictly speaking, a DATA disc. Finder copying will produce a DATA disc containing the AIFF files, but a stereo cd player won't be able to read it. The format/file structures are different.

You might be able to load and play it in iTunes or any other player app but thats all. You need burning software that knows how to produce an 'audio disc', ie: Toast.

Jim_MDP
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 2, 2003, 12:47 PM

Originally posted by JKT:

Apple overburn lets us go to 702.5 MB.

More is possible, but not on a Mac.

(Thank Uncle Skeleton for the info, I don't know the reasons or the specifics.)

maxintosh
Mac Elite
Dec 2, 2003, 03:44 PM

Originally posted by Jim_MDP:
Again� because the original music cd is NOT, strictly speaking, a DATA disc. Finder copying will produce a DATA disc containing the AIFF files, but a stereo cd player won't be able to read it. The format/file structures are different.

You might be able to load and play it in iTunes or any other player app but thats all. You need burning software that knows how to produce an 'audio disc', ie: Toast.
Well, not exactly. It's true that the Finder only produces data discs, but Disk Copy/Disk Utility (in Panther) can create absolute duplicates of any disc. Just select "Create image from device" and make a CD/DVD Master. Then, select "Burn Image" and put in a blank CD and you'll have a bit-for-bit copy of the original.

videian28
Mac Elite
Dec 3, 2003, 02:05 PM

is there any particular setting you have to do to make recorded cd's readable by windows systems (hybrid disks)

Uncle Skeleton
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 3, 2003, 02:26 PM

Originally posted by JKT:
700MB = total capacity of the blank unformatted disk

670MB = capacity of the formatted disk, I would guess. There are also invisible files copied to the disk when you add things which can take up a few MB as well, hence the reduction to 660.7MB

um, no. Toast has always let you burn the full capacity of a blank disc. Alternatively you can make a blank disk image in Disc Utility (in 10.3 or Disk Copy in <10.3) of 700 MB, copy your data to it and "burn image" with the same utility. 660MB is the amount that the Finder gives you for reasons unknown. Incidentally, most blank media actually hold about 702.5 MB, depending on brand, but they say 700 because it's easier. For 650/74-minute discs, it's usually 659MB I think.

You can copy most discs (or at least the mac partition) with Disk Copy/Utility, but I have a vague recollection that Apple crippled Audio-CD imaging for copyright reasons.

Re: overburning. each sector of the disc has a certain number of bytes used by the file format for error-correction. If those bytes were instead used for novel data, it would hold about 800 MB. But then you would have no error correction. (S)VCDs use this extra space and compenate with their own internal error correction. You can do this (I think) by using the CDROM-XA mode of Toast, but I haven't tried it and I certainly don't recommend it. Error correction is there for a good reason

Forum Links
Forum Rules