Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Linking Mac minis

Linking Mac minis
spiffothemouse
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 12, 2007, 08:06 PM

A friend of mine who does video editing (uses FCP HD but not Shake, etc.) is in the market for a new Mac. The Mac Pro's are a little out of his range unless he get's a refurb one, so I suggested either a loaded out iMac or a pair of mini's that he link together. To clarify, is it a.) possible to link several minis together to act as one computer, essentially having a RAID array for HDs and using both processors to do rendering, etc. and b.) would this setup trump a loaded out iMac in terms of speed, power, etc. for the money?

Thanks for the replies.

SSharon
Professional Poster
Mar 12, 2007, 08:46 PM

I'm not really sure if that is the best route to take, but here is a place to start reading about it.
Apple - Mac OS X - Xgrid
AT&T iPhone 5S and 6; 13" MBP; MDD G4.

mduell
Posting Junkie
Mar 12, 2007, 08:49 PM

No, you can't make several minis act as one. You can use a network of them for batch-type jobs, but it's not going to help with anything interactive. And it's not like a RAID array for hard drives.

It sounds like he needs a Mac Pro and should buy a refurb. The iMac adds a lot over the mini in terms of graphics performance and disk performance, but I think he'd be frustrated editing HD on it.

spiffothemouse  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 12, 2007, 09:01 PM

thanks for the responses. i'll let him know refurb mac pro is the way to go.

Forum Links
Forum Rules