Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Switching from PC Outlook to Mac Entrouge

Switching from PC Outlook to Mac Entrouge
DigiHal
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 9, 2005, 10:38 PM

Hi all,

I have a questions that for the mac guru's out there.

I am switching my wife over to a mac for her pc.

(waiting 10 seconds for the applause to reach a dull roar. . .)

Ok, I have everything over fine, but I am really having a hell of a time getting her outlook (mail, contacts, calendar) over to entrouge.

I have tried expoting everyting to a .pst file and trying to import it on the mac. nothing.
I tried to drag over all of her messagesin a .msg format and dropiing them directly in. nothing.

I have tried some other things as well, but for the most part, nothing.

Can anyone give some advise on this.

Thanks all.

Hal!

icibaqu
Forum Regular
Jul 9, 2005, 11:29 PM

don't use entourage

use mail

my girlfriend started on entourage and then switched to mail. mail is better.

Thinine
Mac Elite
Jul 9, 2005, 11:54 PM

Especially in Tiger.

DigiHal  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 9, 2005, 11:56 PM

I tried mail as well. All of the above scenario's didn't work either.

If anyone can suggest how I can get these contacts/mail/calendar events from the PC to a Mac, either using Enterouge or Mail, sound off.

Thanks for the nod of the hat to Mail. I was on the fence about whether to switch over, and was totally going to do that, but it wasn't any easier than enterouge.

H!

wataru
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 10, 2005, 12:11 AM

The point is kind of moot because there's no such thing as "Entrouge."

PurpleGiant
Mac Elite
Jul 10, 2005, 12:41 AM

Unfortunately .pst files are not any kind of mailbox standard, and as such, few programs can import them. Just to clarify, is she using Outlook or Outlook Express? Which version?

If she is using Outlook 2001, you could use this tool from Microsoft to get it all into Entourage. If you go this route, I would still recommend exporting it then from Entourage into Mail.

DigiHal  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 10, 2005, 01:45 AM

Originally Posted by PurpleGiant
Unfortunately .pst files are not any kind of mailbox standard, and as such, few programs can import them. Just to clarify, is she using Outlook or Outlook Express? Which version?

If she is using Outlook 2001, you could use this tool from Microsoft to get it all into Entourage. If you go this route, I would still recommend exporting it then from Entourage into Mail.
Yes!

Thank you for the link.

Any way to get the info on the mac is great. And I will definitly look at converting everything from Entourage to Mail. It is a great app, and as a new mac user, she should get on board.

Thanks again PG!

H!

DigiHal  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 10, 2005, 08:57 AM

Originally Posted by DigiHal
Yes!

Thank you for the link.

Any way to get the info on the mac is great. And I will definitly look at converting everything from Entourage to Mail. It is a great app, and as a new mac user, she should get on board.

Thanks again PG!

H!
I got over zealous and diudn't read the requirements.

Oh well, back to square 1.

Would upgrading to Office 2004 help at all?

H!
( Last edited by DigiHal; Jul 10, 2005 at 08:57 AM. Reason: typo)

PurpleGiant
Mac Elite
Jul 10, 2005, 09:13 AM

The converter is for Outlook 2001 to Entourage 2004 specifically, so I would assume the update would get things going for you.

Perhaps if you know someone with Entourage 2004, you could borrow it for a day to do the import/export.

naphtali
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 10, 2005, 09:27 AM

Try these links

http://www.entourage.mvps.org/cross_...m/win_mac.html
http://www.entourage.mvps.org/cross_platform/

Recommends using intermediate programs like Eudora on Windows to convert the .pst files to something that can be transferred to and used by the Mac.

http://www.littlemachines.com/

Professional program to migrate from Outlook.

KenDallas
Jul 22, 2005, 12:50 PM

I have recently migrated from PC to the Mac environment and couldn't be happier. Part of my requirement for the move was to be able to move everything I had in Outlook over to the Mac. I had 2gb of emails in several PST files that I had accumulated over the past 10 years and absolutely couldn't afford to lose them.

After doing much research and trying various options, I found Outlook2MAC to be the best solution. The application is very inexpensive for what it does and does so well. You basically launch the application on the PC, then launch Outlook using the PST file that you would like to move, switch back to Outlook2MAC and start selecting the folders that you would like to move.

Once Outlook2MAC is done converting all your folders within the PST file into .mbox format, copy these .mbox files to a flash drive, CD, or even use ethernet to move these files over to the mac. From here you simple drag these files into Entourage or Mail depending on your preference.

I personally like Entourage over Mail... but then again thats just my personal preference.

At this point YOU ARE DONE !

Macola
Mac Elite
Jul 22, 2005, 01:33 PM

I wouldn't recommend Mail to someone who has just switched to a Mac, especially Outlook users. The first thing they'll want to know is where their contacts, appointments, to-do's etc are.

Entourage is actually a decent program if you don't need full Exchange server compatibility.
I do not like those green links and spam.
I do not like them, Sam I am.

ph0ust
Senior User
Jul 22, 2005, 03:17 PM

i recently did this same thing.... and i would second the use of "outlook2mac" by littlemachines. best $10 app i have ever bought. real easy to use and only takes moments to get everything in order for you to get it from a pc to either entourage or mac mail/address book/ical.

also, since this was for my work laptop (finally got them to dump windows) i was planning on using entourage to connect to our exchange server. honesly, mac mail is waaaaay better. entourage was sucking and not liking the exchange server. mac mail was flawless. after a week i uninstalled entourage. food for thought....

ValVashon
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 22, 2005, 07:05 PM

ph0ust-

How did you get Mail to work with an exchange server? I can get Entourage to check my mail but I can not set it up to send- we have an older version of exchange server at work. An upgrade has been promised for later this year. Are there instructions in Mail and or what version of exchange server are you using at work? I can't stand having to launch Classic and the OS 8/9 version of Outlook for Exchange every time I want to check e-mail.

Val

ph0ust
Senior User
Jul 22, 2005, 08:05 PM

ValVashon:

assuming you are running mail v2.0.2 (i am using tiger) there are configuration options when setting up your email accounts for imap, pop and exchange. it is pretty self explanatory, as you just go through the wizard jammy and input the exchange server info, etc. ultimately, exchange was annoying me (meaning the exchange mapi type accounts), so i just went with the imap option to connect to exchange (mapi is native, but imap works too). now i have my work email connected to an exchange server via imap, and two pop accounts all within mac mail.

i have not used an older version of mac mail on exchange, so if you are running a pre-v2.0 i can't recall how/if you can configure it. i was able to entourage v.x to work painfully with exchange, but i hear entourage 2004 is better. i use the rest of ms office on my pb, except for entourage which i really didn't like.

sorry if that is not the most helpful, but i think if you walkt through creating a mail account in mail.app you will see exactly what you need to do to connect to exchange.

[edited]

Forum Links
Forum Rules