Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > buying a new MBP

buying a new MBP
Hamilton
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 10, 2007, 01:33 AM

Hey there,

I'm looking into buying a laptop for school and playing games. I had a couple of questions and while I could do hours of painstaking research, I still feel it would be easier to ask the people who are using the technology now.

Im looking into buying the 2gb 2.3ghz 15inch MBP core2duo. I know that since its running intel it supports more windows applications but I don't quite know its limitations. So I suppose my first question would be how is the compatibility and are more mainstream programs and games becoming mac compatible?

The second question. Is now the right time to buy? Should I wait til N is standardized? Is there a new Macbook coming up in the next few months that will make mine look somewhat puny next to it? or is it a good while til anything new comes by?

Thanks in advance for your input. I Think I'll end up being a regular around here.

mduell
Posting Junkie
Jan 10, 2007, 01:55 AM

You can boot Windows on bare metal and run all Windows apps, just like any other Windows box out there. Or you can boot Windows in a virtualization environment (on top of OSX) and run most Windows apps (except 3D games and such).

N won't be standardized for at least another year. There's a significant upgrade to the mobile Core 2 Duo platform coming in the March-April timeframe. I think Apple will adopt it (Santa Rosa, with Robson) immediately.

Hamilton  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 10, 2007, 02:49 AM

will it be a huge, noticable performance upgrade? It isn't vital to my survival at this point but It would be nice to have a higher end computer. However if in 4months a significantly better upgrade is coming out it might be worth it to wait.

b1NARY73
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 10, 2007, 03:41 AM

You could play the wait and see game forever. I have a MBP 2ghz, running Windows Vista, and OSX, plays games great, and I love it so much, I sold my trusty Thinkpad Z60t and replaced it with Macbook. I still use my 20 iMac for large editing projects, but am about to sell it and buy a 20" ACD and use the Macbook for everything. It is that good.... at least for me.
 Macbook Pro 17" / 2.5GHZ Intel Core 2 Duo / 4GB Ram / 350GB
 Macbook Pro 17" / 2.16GHZ Intel Core Duo / 2GB Ram / 120GB
 Macbook Black / 2.4GHZ Intel Core 2 Duo / 4GB Ram / 350GB

cosmic dancer
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 10, 2007, 08:07 AM

I would also be interested to get a MBP. I've waited for the SF's keynote, and today I've been asking myself if I should keep on waiting until further events:

-Tiger: If it shows out in Spring, waiting for it is worthing the few months delay,
-I've heard about iLife07, iWork 07, and getting at least iLife 07 bundled with the laptop would be nice,
-Another event I've read about is the NAND integration in laptops, but I have no idea if I could expect this technology this year in MBPs.
-I would be interested to know if the graphic card integrated in the MBP 15, is to be replaced soon?
I'm sorry I don't know many things about Intel laptops...I still work with my old 667mhz powerbook.

Anyway, I'd be happy to hear about your comments (wait at least for Leopard, or a newer hardware
architecture) for this first semester?

entrox
Senior User
Jan 10, 2007, 08:36 AM

I bit the bullet today and just ordered a 17" MBP. I have been putting off the purchase for several weeks in the hope of getting refreshed cinema displays and updated software, but after seeing the keynote, I couldn't justify waiting any longer. Who knows when we'll be getting new stuff.

I also wouldn't count on Santa Rosa based Macbooks until June or July, since I don't see Apple jumping on the newest stuff immediately. Just look at the Core 2 Duo: Intel released them in late July, but Apple didn't put out a revised Macbook until late October. Even if they release them early, you should expect long shipping times.

Just my 2 euro-cents.

cosmic dancer
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 10, 2007, 09:17 AM

entrox, thank you for your valuable comment abut the hardware upgrades in MBP. If we could only see a major upgrade in October, I gather I should consider getting a laptop sooner.
I don't understand why MBPs are proposed with the ATI mobility 1600. I know it's quite something of a graphic card already, but on ATI's website, there are already X1800s and X1900s series offerings for laptop manufacturers. Is the X1600, so to speak a bit outdated? sorry if my comment is impolite...

mduell
Posting Junkie
Jan 10, 2007, 03:37 PM

Originally Posted by Hamilton View Post
will it be a huge, noticable performance upgrade? It isn't vital to my survival at this point but It would be nice to have a higher end computer. However if in 4months a significantly better upgrade is coming out it might be worth it to wait.
The faster FSB is marginal, but Robson is significant; the benchmarks we've seen so far show gains like cutting OS boot time or application launch time in half. Also, by then the new software (Leopard/iLife) will be preloaded.

Forum Links
Forum Rules