Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Iceland Rules!!

Iceland Rules!!
Logic
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 3, 2003, 05:48 PM

ICELAND IS THE TOP ONLINE FPS GAMES VENUE

I have told you before and I'll tell you again. We are taking over the internet!

I'm sorry, it is not often Iceland get into the news.

edit: damn, I can't find a way to link directly to the article. It's on the top in the news section.

"If Bush says we hate freedom, let him tell us why we didn't attack Sweden, for example. OBL 29th oct

philzilla
Occasionally Useful
Jul 3, 2003, 05:58 PM

Originally posted by Logic:
edit: damn, I can't find a way to link directly to the article. It's on the top in the news section.
you suck at the internet:

http://csports.computerandvideogames...ory.asp?id=154
"Have sharp knives. Be creative. Cook to music" ~ maxelson

Logic  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 3, 2003, 06:01 PM

Originally posted by philzilla:
you suck at the internet:

http://csports.computerandvideogames...ory.asp?id=154
Ha, you are right. Let me guess, ctrl-click, copy link, paste.

Do I win a prize?

"If Bush says we hate freedom, let him tell us why we didn't attack Sweden, for example. OBL 29th oct

malvolio
Professional Poster
Jul 3, 2003, 06:02 PM

How the hell did San Marino get in among all those Nordic countries?
/mal
"I sentence you to be hanged by the neck until you cheer up."
MacBook Pro 15" w/ Mac OS 10.8.2, iPhone 4S & iPad 4th-gen. w/ iOS 6.1.2

BasketofPuppies
Professional Poster
Jul 3, 2003, 06:04 PM

More proof that I was right about needing regime change in Iceland.
inscrutable impenetrable impregnable inconceivable

philzilla
Occasionally Useful
Jul 3, 2003, 06:10 PM

Ha, you are right. Let me guess, ctrl-click, copy link, paste.
quite logical, really...
"Have sharp knives. Be creative. Cook to music" ~ maxelson

willed
Professional Poster
Jul 3, 2003, 06:18 PM

Originally posted by malvolio:
How the hell did San Marino get in among all those Nordic countries?
As only 3 people live there, and one of those is an online gamer = 33% of the population play online games

Logic  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 3, 2003, 06:35 PM

Originally posted by philzilla:
quite logical, really...

MacGorilla
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 3, 2003, 06:48 PM

First the Icelandic Marines�, now this. Is there no escape from Iceland's march to world domination?
Power Macintosh Dual G4
SGI Indigo2 6.5.21f

Logic  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 3, 2003, 06:55 PM

Originally posted by MacGorilla:
First the Icelandic Marines�, now this. Is there no escape from Iceland's march to world domination?
MWUAHAHAHAHAHAHA
You are all doomed to be our slaves in the near future!

jckalen
Senior User
Jul 3, 2003, 08:18 PM

like there is anything else to do there
It looks just like a telefunken' U-47 - Zappa

undotwa
Professional Poster
Jul 3, 2003, 08:23 PM

Originally posted by jckalen:
You can paddle in hot springs and swim in molten lava in their volcanos.
In vino veritas.

wdlove
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 3, 2003, 08:25 PM

My wife love's Iceland, she dreams of being able to move there!

"Never give in, never give in, never, never, never, never - in nothing, great or small, large or petty - never give in except to convictions of honor and good sense." Winston Churchill

MacGorilla
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 3, 2003, 08:30 PM

Originally posted by wdlove:
Sell her to Logic
Power Macintosh Dual G4
SGI Indigo2 6.5.21f

Logic  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 3, 2003, 08:31 PM

Been here often?

Logic  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 3, 2003, 08:35 PM

They aren't dreams, they are nightmares

If you want any info just ask

Originally posted by MacGorilla:
Sell her to Logic
I don't think my fiance would like that. Even if she is very liberal

jckalen
Senior User
Jul 3, 2003, 09:07 PM

Been here often?
Well, just once, to Reykjavik. It IS cool how they use geothermal hot springs to heat buildings. However, odd that the patronymic system for naming your children is enforced by law - is that still the case? (To those who might not know, this means that if your name is Jeff (my 1st name), and you name your son Mike, his legal name would be Mike Jeffsson. If Mike names his son Joe, he would be Joe Mikesson.)

I went there around 1988 as part of a college course studying the effects of global pollution on Glaciers. Iceland was chosen because you have such a low pollution output of your own.

In part, I was kidding but I figured a guy who has a location of "In the middle of nowhere, a.k.a. Iceland" might feel the same way.

jckalen
Senior User
Jul 3, 2003, 09:22 PM

Oh, and from the site you linked to...

From personal experience I don�t find this surprising either. I had the pleasure on a number of occasions of staying in Reykjavik and the two most striking things on each visit were

a) Just how full and lively the bars were
b) The number of underwear shops per capita was orders of magnitude greater than I have experienced anywhere else in the world
Yep, one happenin' place!

Logic  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 4, 2003, 07:10 AM

Well, just once, to Reykjavik. It IS cool how they use geothermal hot springs to heat buildings. However, odd that the patronymic system for naming your children is enforced by law - is that still the case? (To those who might not know, this means that if your name is Jeff (my 1st name), and you name your son Mike, his legal name would be Mike Jeffsson. If Mike names his son Joe, he would be Joe Mikesson.)

I went there around 1988 as part of a college course studying the effects of global pollution on Glaciers. Iceland was chosen because you have such a low pollution output of your own.

In part, I was kidding but I figured a guy who has a location of "In the middle of nowhere, a.k.a. Iceland" might feel the same way.
I'm sorry about my reaction yesterday. I had a bad day and too much to do at work.

The partonymic system is still in charge, but you can if you want use your mothers name instead. I like this system better than the one they have in Sweden(which I guess is like in most parts of the world) where the women take up the mans family name. It also makes it easy to track you family back in time. One of my relatives tracked our family back to the 12th century. A very interesting read.

Are you a geologist or something like that? Or did you take the course just to get out of town

But about the much to do part. Well it depends on what you like to do. If you like to be out in the nature this is a good place to be, if you like to party at weekends this is a good place to be(but expencive) and if you like beautyful women this is a good place to be For culture, themeparks and such you should go somewhere else.

Zimphire
Baninated
Jul 4, 2003, 10:39 AM

What!?! A topic about Iceland and no one posted the pics of the airline chicks?

pffffft.

wdlove
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 4, 2003, 11:09 AM

They aren't dreams, they are nightmares

If you want any info just ask

I don't think my fiance would like that. Even if she is very liberal
Are you downplaying her dream of moving to Iceland? We happen to prefer a cold climate if that happens to be a reason.

"Never give in, never give in, never, never, never, never - in nothing, great or small, large or petty - never give in except to convictions of honor and good sense." Winston Churchill

Logic  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 4, 2003, 11:40 AM

Are you downplaying her dream of moving to Iceland? We happen to prefer a cold climate if that happens to be a reason.
Depends on what kind of cold climate you want. Right now there's about 20C outside, clouds and a slight breeze. This winter we didn't even have a "white christmas" and the temperatures stayed around 0C. So the cold climate is more a myth than truth. In the summer this is about as good as it gets but the winters come in all shapes and forms.
But are you thinking about traveling here and take a look at the nature or are you thinking about staying for a longer period?

The nightmare comment was more meant for the Icelanders here(esp Voodoo). I love this country but I can't live here for much longer. It's to small. But I guess I will want to come back here one day, there is some special bond between Iceland and icelanders. Here are a couple of pics for you and your wife(and names so you can check it out sometime in the future):
Seljalandsfoss

Seljalandsfoss 2

Volcanic eruption in Vatnaj�kull(Waterglacier in translation)

Volcanic eruption in Vatnaj�kull 2

Reykjav�k from the sky in the winter

Downtown Reykjav�k in typical weather

Perlan(the Pearl)
Has a rotating restaurant so you can see the whole 360 degrees while eating dinner(one of the best and most expencive restaurants on Iceland)

Volcanic eruption in Heimaey(notice the village)

And this is a must see for every tourist, The Blue Lagoon.
And then you can check out this page for some more images.

bamburg dunes
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 4, 2003, 02:30 PM

Originally posted by Zimphire:
What!?! A topic about Iceland and no one posted the pics of the airline chicks?

pffffft.

Lol, my ex-girlfriend is Icelandic AND worked on Icelandair for a while. We're still really close and I'm heading out to Iceland to see her in a few months.
it's such a bautiful place.

Logic, where abouts are you?
PIXAR Animation Studios

Logic  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 4, 2003, 02:32 PM

Originally posted by bamburg dunes:
Lol, my ex-girlfriend is Icelandic AND worked on Icelandair for a while. We're still really close and I'm heading out to Iceland to see her in a few months.

Reykjav�k downtown(almost). Or in the area natives call 101.

bamburg dunes
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 4, 2003, 02:38 PM

Reykjav�k downtown(almost). Or in the area natives call 101.
Nice, handy for the pubs. When I go out there, I stay in Hafnarfjordur, my ex decided to get one of those flats right up on top of some hill, murder to get to the shops each day, lol.
PIXAR Animation Studios

Logic  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 4, 2003, 03:14 PM

Nice, handy for the pubs. When I go out there, I stay in Hafnarfjordur, my ex decided to get one of those flats right up on top of some hill, murder to get to the shops each day, lol.
Yeah. No problem here though, everything is within 10 minutes to walk. I'll never move outside of 101 while I live on Iceland.

This area
not the greatest pic but anyway

bamburg dunes
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 4, 2003, 03:24 PM

Yeah. No problem here though, everything is within 10 minutes to walk. I'll never move outside of 101 while I live on Iceland.

This area
not the greatest pic but anyway
yeah, Reykjavik is lovely just now, that picture brought back a lot of memories, mostly good. There's a rehab/hospital quite close to the basalt church (forget the name), a friend of a friend went in there to detox, one of the best in the world apparently. I sued to go out drinking in cafe barin(spelling) and then strolled up to this club just up the road from it, funny nights it was.
PIXAR Animation Studios

kmkkid
Professional Poster
Jul 4, 2003, 03:26 PM

Wow, iceland looks so clean, almost sterile. And I thought Ontario was clean

Chris

Zimphire
Baninated
Jul 4, 2003, 03:30 PM

And the pic still hasn't been posted.

Logic  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 4, 2003, 04:13 PM

More pics since I'm in the mood to play PR agent and advertiser for Iceland at the moment.

J�kuls�rl�n
Been used in both 007: Die Another Day and The Tomb Raider. In both modified and changed, no trees and definatly not as high up as 007 implied. You are almost at see level and actually the Atlantic ocean is working it's way in eating away the beach and threatening the "highway" between east and the west of Iceland. If nothing is done the lenght from one city(H�fn) to Reykjav�k will more than double since you have to drive around the whole country to get there. Will go from about 300km to 900km.

J�kuls�rl�n
Its a lake(j�kul=glacier, �=river l�n=lagoon) created by the glacier and then runs down an about 100m long river into the Atlantic ocean.

J�kuls�rl�n

Above Hvalfj�r�

Typical Icelandic landscape

More typical Icelandic landscape

and more

yep.. you are right, even more

Judge_Fire
Mac Elite
Jul 4, 2003, 04:32 PM

So is there truth to the legend that the ancient Icelandic folks switched names to fool the Vikings?

Call the nice greenish island Iceland, and name the big lump of ice next door Greenland

The Vikings weren't kind to this flat nation of lakeside farmers (Finland), so I've always appreciated any ancient resistance to who are nowadays the Norwegians and Swedes

BTW, Finland trailed by Liechtenstein in the FPS stuff?! If San Marino is three people, then Liechtenstein can't be more.

J

Hugi
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 4, 2003, 04:47 PM

Wow, Logic. Did you just get hired by Icelandair to do some marketing? Well, you're doing a bang-up job

Aaah, I just went to visit my parents in East Iceland, here are some pics from my old hometown.

bamburg dunes
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 4, 2003, 04:54 PM

And the pic still hasn't been posted.
Lol, here you go, we are still friends but nothing more. I had to scan that one in, got more here, but thougth that probably was the best one of her in a normal state.

Edit: She'll kill me for doing posting a picture of her.

( Last edited by bamburg dunes; Jul 4, 2003 at 05:04 PM. )
PIXAR Animation Studios

Logic  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 4, 2003, 05:07 PM

Originally posted by Hugi:
Wow, Logic. Did you just get hired by Icelandair to do some marketing? Well, you're doing a bang-up job

Aaah, I just went to visit my parents in East Iceland, here are some pics from my old hometown.
Let's just say I'm bored and waiting for my fiancee to come home.

Here's the explanation of the underwear shops and pubs

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

I love this country

Logic  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 4, 2003, 05:11 PM

Originally posted by Judge_Fire:

The Vikings weren't kind to this flat nation of lakeside farmers (Finland), so I've always appreciated any ancient resistance to who are nowadays the Norwegians and Swedes
Mmmm, Puruvesi, Punkaharju and Savolinna ring a bell? I love the east of Finland. One of the most beautiful places in the world.

Svenska(Ruotsi) or Finnska(Suomi)? Kiitos, Ykse, kaksi, kolmi or something like that. Oh and Saatana p�rkele voivitto. I have no idea if that last "sentence" made any sense but if it does no offence to you(something that I "learned" in Ruotsi)

Hugi
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 4, 2003, 05:13 PM

[filth]

I love this country
Apparently not as much as you love Chloe

Logic  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 4, 2003, 05:15 PM

Originally posted by Hugi:
Apparently not as much as you love Chloe

Well I was going to post pics of my girlfriend(who is by the way 182cm tall with dark, curly hair) but she would kill me!

l'ignorante
Mac Elite
Jul 4, 2003, 05:20 PM

Reykjavik, Laugavegur....Biobarinn, 22, Mokka....good memories.
I'm going next wednesday, with my wife and kids (all except me born in Reykjavik).
see ya Logic, and maybe Voodoo too, is he still around here?

Logic  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 4, 2003, 05:26 PM

Originally posted by l'ignorante:
I'm going next wednesday, with my wife and kids (all except me born in Reykjavik).
I will be here and probably Voodoo as well. How long will you stay? I don't know what a summer vacation is anyway so I'll be here the next years

Going to check what clubs/pubs are still open when you come here?

bamburg dunes
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 4, 2003, 05:27 PM

Edit: double post, tired, too tired now.
PIXAR Animation Studios

bamburg dunes
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 4, 2003, 05:28 PM

Well I was going to post pics of my girlfriend(who is by the way 182cm tall with dark, curly hair) but she would kill me!
I'm just glad mine is an ex, but she'll still dig me for it, even stevens though since she's done a lot of monkeying around with my photos at times. Lol
PIXAR Animation Studios

voodoo
Posting Junkie
Jul 4, 2003, 09:03 PM

Still around.

*hey l'ignorante, if you are in town or something, don't be a stranger.
I could take Sean Connery in a fight... I could definitely take him.

Hugi
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 4, 2003, 09:12 PM

Originally posted by l'ignorante:
No one ever thinks of me. I'll just be at home doing something much more fun

voodoo
Posting Junkie
Jul 4, 2003, 09:34 PM

We could have this getogether, me, Logic, Hugi and l'ignorante "in some pub in Reykjav�k"

tobster too if he's still around..

malvolio
Professional Poster
Jul 4, 2003, 10:11 PM

Mmmm, Puruvesi, Punkaharju and Savolinna ring a bell? I love the east of Finland. One of the most beautiful places in the world.

Svenska(Ruotsi) or Finnska(Suomi)? Kiitos, Ykse, kaksi, kolmi or something like that. Oh and Saatana p�rkele voivitto. I have no idea if that last "sentence" made any sense but if it does no offence to you(something that I "learned" in Ruotsi)
Hmph, my folks came from the west of Finland (Oulu, Vaasa and Rauma). Although I have to admit that maybe Pohjanmaa isn't the prettiest part of the country.
My grandma would have smacked you for saying "you know what" though (it's a very mild curse ).
/mal
"I sentence you to be hanged by the neck until you cheer up."
MacBook Pro 15" w/ Mac OS 10.8.2, iPhone 4S & iPad 4th-gen. w/ iOS 6.1.2

theolein
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 5, 2003, 09:52 AM

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

I love this country
I'll see you tomorrow.
weird wabbit

Zimphire
Baninated
Jul 5, 2003, 06:22 PM

I just want to see those Stewardess pics again.

voodoo
Posting Junkie
Jul 5, 2003, 06:24 PM

I just want to see those Stewardess pics again.

A classic

Zimphire
Baninated
Jul 5, 2003, 06:30 PM

Yes, they need to become regulars in the Fark Photoshop contests.

Esp that last one. She looks ornery.

voodoo
Posting Junkie
Jul 5, 2003, 06:42 PM

Yes, they need to become regulars in the Fark Photoshop contests.

Esp that last one. She looks ornery.
or�ner�y

Mean-spirited, disagreeable, and contrary in disposition; cantankerous.

adj : having a difficult and contrary disposition; "a cantankerous and venomous-tongued old lady"- Dorothy Sayers

... really, I think she looks quite aaah agreeable

Forum Links
Forum Rules