Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Pivot tables in Excel 2008

Pivot tables in Excel 2008
damiensmunki
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 26, 2009, 06:20 PM

Hey, guys -

Anyone here have experience with pivot tables in Excel 2008? Can Excel 2008 handle all pivot tables built in Excel 2007 for Windows? We use these nearly every day in my office, and I'm thinking about picking up Office 2008. I'm tired of having to crank up Parallels every time I want to manipulate a pivot table. Thanks for any observations.

Rob

Edit: Oops...just noticed the double l's in the title.

Cold Warrior
Nov 26, 2009, 06:36 PM

I fixed the double L's.

Why not try Office 2008 for free? Here's the link to the free trial -
http://www.microsoft.com/mac/product...-download.mspx

Shades of Gray
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 14, 2009, 01:29 PM

My experience (pre-2008) was that Pivot Tables on the Mac side were never close to the Pivot Tables on the Windows versions (up through 2003). So, I would say that using 2007 is still the better option.

I ended up using macros in 2003 to develop Pivot Tables, giving much more flexibility and options than just what the user interface of Excel offered for Pivot Tables.
Ignore the argumentative nature of this poster. He is old and can't engage in meaningful dialog
very long. Therefore, management asks that you at least humor him. Thanks.

slugslugslug
Mac Elite
Dec 14, 2009, 07:34 PM

I’ve been going back and forth between 2007 & 2008 with some pivot tables and haven’t had problems. But I’m not doing anything super fancy, so YMMV. I second the motion of downloading the trial.

ghporter
Administrator
Dec 14, 2009, 08:44 PM

I never understood what a pivot table was in the first place. Shades of Gray, how did the Office 2004 version of Excel differ from the Windows version in this (and anything else)? In my (albeit limited) experience with Excel 2004, I've been able to do everything I would have in a Windows Excel sheet, so I'm curious how it is limited compared to Windows' version.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

philm
Mac Elite
Dec 15, 2009, 12:31 AM

My understanding is that Pivot Tables on the Mac version of Excel are essentially the same as Windows. Windows does offer Pivot Charts which the Mac version does not. Personally I stuck with Excel 2004 as Excel 2008 does not support VBA, although I think the Pivot Tables are unaffected.

TheoCryst
Mac Elite
Dec 15, 2009, 04:41 PM

Excel 2008 can handle MOST pivot tables created by Excel 2007. However, there are a few boundary cases that don't transfer over correctly. I agree with Cold Warrior: give the free trial a shot and see if it meets your needs.

Any ramblings are entirely my own, and do not represent those of my employers, coworkers, friends, or species

slugslugslug
Mac Elite
Dec 15, 2009, 05:02 PM

Oh, also, the filtering isn't as convenient on the Mac side, I just realized today as I was fiddling with a pivot table.

Forum Links
Forum Rules