Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Online backup options

Online backup options
philm
Mac Elite
Jun 1, 2010, 01:12 PM

After a recent hard drive disaster, I'm looking at the various online options for backup: Mozy, Carbonite, Backblaze et al. Lots of web searching seems to suggest that none of these is an outright winner. Does anyone have experiences which they could share with the lovely MacNN community?

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jun 1, 2010, 01:24 PM

Could you share the reasons why those weren't winners ?

E.g., Mozy is perfect (IMO) if you don't mind spending the money.

Of course, none of these are "perfect" if you are looking for unlimited backup space for free.

-t

philm  (op)
Mac Elite
Jun 1, 2010, 05:15 PM

I'm happy to spend the $5 a month or whatever that these sites seem to charge. I have no issue with that. It's good to learn that you have found Mozy to be good. Various reviews seem to have people with a range of problems but, of course, it's widely used and I would expect a number of
negative reports given this.

Do you find Mozy eats up system resource or does it wait until you are not working? One plus point for Backblaze is that the software also supports local back up to a hard disk. I'm thinking of using BB at work where I have fast upload speeds and for a local hard disk backup, and Time Machine at home on the evenings.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jun 1, 2010, 06:18 PM

Well, I'm not sure (from the OP's post) if we are strictly talking online backup, or a combination of online + local.

Personally, I use TM, Mozy and backups to my own web storage (using Twin: Twin)

Re: Mozy - resource hog

Yes, sometime for a few minutes, the backup daemon seems to spin out of control. But that usually goes away within a few minutes. I never had any major issues with Mozy.

-t

jmiddel
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 1, 2010, 09:45 PM

I use Dropbox, for $99/year I get 50 Gigs. It is almost never a resource hog, just twice in a year it seemed to go crazy and slow everything to crawl, I just force quit it and that was all.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Jun 1, 2010, 10:41 PM

Keep in mind that these backup services cannot work well if you have a lot of crap to backup, particularly a bunch of large files, as most ISPs really restrict your upload bandwidth. For instance, I wouldn't count on backing up 20+ gig VM images or something this way, it would just be too painstakingly slow.

philm  (op)
Mac Elite
Jun 2, 2010, 03:23 PM

I'm giving Backblaze a go. I love Dropbox and use it regularly, but I don't think it's really a Backup tool, although I can see how it would be used for that.

all2ofme
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 2, 2010, 05:54 PM

I'm loving CrashPlan. A mate and I have been using it to backup to each other's machines for a couple of months now, and it works flawlessly.

I've got around 1TB on his machine, and after I'd seeded the initial backup (read: done locally, then taken the disk to his place) it's been quick and painless. Great to have an offsite back-up on top of my local Time Machine and mirror.

Love it. No affiliations, either

philm  (op)
Mac Elite
Jun 3, 2010, 09:12 AM

I found this review which is pretty good.

jmiddel
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 3, 2010, 08:54 PM

Thank you philm for the clarification regarding Dropbox. I also found your link useful, and Backblaze looks really good. I will try it.

bdmesq
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 27, 2010, 04:05 AM

Originally Posted by philm View Post
After a recent hard drive disaster, I'm looking at the various online options for backup: Mozy, Carbonite, Backblaze et al. Lots of web searching seems to suggest that none of these is an outright winner. Does anyone have experiences which they could share with the lovely MacNN community?

I HAVE TREID NOW FOR HALF A YEAR CARBONITE.
don't waste your money, does not work and the service "works" like a robot,they seem not to care.[every time you have to exclude some links and nobody can guess what is backed up]
anyhow nothing is backed up [or just a part and you can't even include what you want...........don't start it!!
I am also very much looking for a trustable .online backup......did not find one yet.

Forum Links
Forum Rules