Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Software Update through non-apple NAT ?

Software Update through non-apple NAT ?
Brit Ben
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 18, 2002, 09:13 PM

I have an issue where software update tells me that it is unable to connect to the Internet. I'm running through a non-apple NAT gateway. If I run via the ABS NAT implementation it all works.

What am I missing ? Do I need to forward specific ports for the software update ?

Cheers,
Ben.

dtriska
Mac Elite
Apr 19, 2002, 12:08 AM

I have no problems with my Linksys, so it's not a port forwarding issue. What's are you using for NAT?

Cipher13
Apr 19, 2002, 12:11 AM

I have no ports mapped via my software router (IPNetRouter running on a different computer), so it must be something else.

In your network preferences, under the popup menu, open 'active network ports', and move ethernet to the top.

[ 04-19-2002: Message edited by: Cipher13 ]

Smircle
Forum Regular
Apr 19, 2002, 11:50 AM

Originally posted by Brit Ben:
I have an issue where software update tells me that it is unable to connect to the Internet. I'm running through a non-apple NAT gateway. If I run via the ABS NAT implementation it all works.
I have the same problems with an old G3 working as a DSL router/file server. I cannot get software update to work through this machine (it works on the G3). Also I cannot fetch html pages from certain servers.

Unfortunately I don't know a solution.

dreilly1
Mac Elite
Apr 19, 2002, 12:11 PM

As far as I can tell, the software update is doing nothing abnormal that would require port-forwarding. A quick tcpdump on my linux firewall (which SW update works through) confirms that the connection looks like any standard web connection. If you surf the web OK (without a proxy), you should be able to do the SW update.

It sounds like the problem may be with youe NAT gateway not NATting properly.

[ 04-19-2002: Message edited by: dreilly1 ]

Member of the the Stupid Brigade! (If you see Sponsored Links in any of my posts, please PM me!)

Forum Links
Forum Rules