Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Hardware Hacking > Use firewire cdr as a firewire harddisk

Use firewire cdr as a firewire harddisk
pjotr28
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 10, 2006, 04:09 PM

Hi,

I've got this sony crx140ei external cd-writer. I don't use it anymore and I exchanged the internal writer with a hard disk for backup purpose. But the hard drive isn't recognized by my mac. System profile shows a Lacie 1394-CDrom drive. I've tried it in master and slave setup but no luck. I assumed the case would work as a firewire enclosure. Any ideas or isn't this going to work.

btw I'm using osx 10.4 on a PM G4 with an fastmac upgrade

tia

mountainash
Forum Regular
Mar 24, 2006, 05:29 AM

Hey that's weird. I swapped out a cd-rw drive from a lacie case and put in a dvd drive. It had some issues burning DVDs. I wonder if our problems are related. There might be something built in to the firmware of the case, that's telling the OS "Hey, I'm a CD drive".

Okay, I've plugged in my drive, and it shows up the same. Under system profiler - firewire - LaCie 1394-CDROM Drive.

What is Disk Utility showing? Maybe it just needs a format. Try some other drives and see what happens.

lothar56
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 4, 2006, 01:28 PM

I have a Lite-On CD-RW case that I put hard drives into. System profiler sees it as a CD-RW but the firewire HD icon shows up on the desktop and I can treat it just like a HD, but my roommate's PC only sees it as a CD drive.
iBook G4-1.33/768 || B&W G3-450/640 || Beige G3-G4 450/352 || Beige G3-400/256 in Classic case || Beige G3-300/256 || PB 5300cs Pictureframe 100/24

PB2K
Mac Elite
Apr 4, 2006, 03:03 PM

I swap external drives all the time, I have no issues, except with cheaper enclosures. Those just fail continously.

I now work with internal drives. Much faster.
{Animated sigs are not allowed.}

Tenacious Dyl
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 5, 2006, 03:27 PM

I've had no problems using CD cases to load hard-drives. Actually one of the oldest USB CD burners out there (I forget the brand... but it was 2x burn...) Works great, just slower (USB 1.0) connection. I just use it to check drives for pure functionality (Does it work? Or not.)
yep.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Apr 5, 2006, 07:31 PM

Lacie firmware prevents use of other drives in their cases. Some others do this too. EZQuest being another I know of. Possible LaCie even flash the drives themselves.

Forum Links
Forum Rules