Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Windows XP == eXtra Pain

Windows XP == eXtra Pain
driven
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 24, 2002, 11:49 AM

An interesting article. http://www.fortune.com/indext.jhtml?...&doc_id=207355

There was a similar article today by John Dvork telling about his blue screen experience with XP, but alas I can't find that link.
- MacBook Air M2 16GB / 512GB
- MacBook Pro 16" i9 2.4Ghz 32GB / 1TB
- MacBook Pro 15" i7 2.9Ghz 16GB / 512GB
- iMac i5 3.2Ghz 1TB
- G4 Cube 500Mhz / Shelf display unit / Museum display

Nimisys
Banned
Apr 24, 2002, 02:10 PM

that guys a moron

you don't have to restart after program installs, many engineers include that for older versions... and if for soem reason the software is extra sucky and you do have to restart, you close expolorer and re launch it... boom instant OS restart

OF cource its still the nT kernel... they always said it would be, its the fact that they mergeed the NT kernel across all product lines, and over DOS ( which m,ost consumers have had) it is much more stable

MS messanger: their product, they can include it, and right clicking and selecting exit on the icon must be a bit too difficult for some.

Program storage: for some i guess the concepts of folders are to difficult, or the fact that all installed software asks you were to put it if you don't want to have it goto its defaukt folder

and what the **** is configuring a program... and how is shoddy gui design by a 3rd compnay programmers any of M$'s fault?

this guy is just bitching for bitching's sake and because it seems to be the ppular thing to do these days

driven  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 24, 2002, 02:37 PM

Originally posted by Nimisys:
<STRONG>that guys a moron

you don't have to restart after program installs, many engineers include that for older versions... and if for soem reason the software is extra sucky and you do have to restart, you close expolorer and re launch it... boom instant OS restart
</STRONG>

In his defense, many programs do require a restart. Obviously OS upgrades and hotfixes do, but this is forgivable. (Even Apple does this.) But, when Office and IE upgrades require a restart that's a bit odd. Why? Because they both upgrade some system level components. (This should NOT be included in applications!) Also: Some DLLs get locked by the system and require a restart to replace them, but these are getting fewer and fewer.

.NET is "supposed" to allow XCOPY type installs. If so, rebooting will be a thing from the past. (except for CLR upgrades!) Ask me in 3 years how this worked out.
- MacBook Air M2 16GB / 512GB
- MacBook Pro 16" i9 2.4Ghz 32GB / 1TB
- MacBook Pro 15" i7 2.9Ghz 16GB / 512GB
- iMac i5 3.2Ghz 1TB
- G4 Cube 500Mhz / Shelf display unit / Museum display

juanvaldes
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 24, 2002, 06:18 PM

Originally posted by driven:
<STRONG>

In his defense, many programs do require a restart. Obviously OS upgrades and hotfixes do, but this is forgivable. (Even Apple does this.) But, when Office and IE upgrades require a restart that's a bit odd. Why? Because they both upgrade some system level components. (This should NOT be included in applications!) Also: Some DLLs get locked by the system and require a restart to replace them, but these are getting fewer and fewer.

.NET is "supposed" to allow XCOPY type installs. If so, rebooting will be a thing from the past. (except for CLR upgrades!) Ask me in 3 years how this worked out. </STRONG>
But remember that IE is now a part of the system so if it is updated so is the system in effect.
The spirit of resistance to government is so valuable on certain occasions, that I wish it always to be kept alive.
- Thomas Jefferson, 1787

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Apr 25, 2002, 03:22 AM

I'm hoping Microsoft won't be around in 5 years.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

Nimisys
Banned
Apr 25, 2002, 03:37 AM

Originally posted by juanvaldes:
<STRONG>

But remember that IE is now a part of the system so if it is updated so is the system in effect.</STRONG>
IE is purely a gui Shell / extension of the explorer core in windows, one of the reasons you can;t just remove IE from windows and active desktp is possible... also it allows other programs to access those API's and use the internet. proof: you can make a web browser in VB and still have all the features of IE, without running IE.

so your correct, which makes since as to why after a major IE uopgrade you do have to restart (though the explorer close/reload trick does work) as major portions of Explorer as a whole have been changed, and as such are accesible to any program that calls that API.

same basic thing with Office, its install provide a lot of base level API's other prorams can call to, so it also makes since as to why a rebbor is needed after install. IF Office, wasn;t such a money maker and would be completly monopolistic, it would make a lot of sence to have it completely tied into and a normal feature of windows.

ANd Driven, i Agree with you system level componets shouldn;t come in 99% of the Apps they are, i can see it for Office, IE, ( above for as to why) and a few other Microsoft programs ( developement tools). no reason for "mom's happy print shop" to come anywhere near the system componets.

KellyHogan
Banned
Location: The Breakaway Democratic Banana Republic of Jakichanistan.
Apr 25, 2002, 04:16 AM

Originally posted by olePigeon:
<STRONG>I'm hoping Microsoft won't be around in 5 years.</STRONG>
Cool. I hope it gets replaced by an OS that has a sticky interface, spinning wheel, limited hardware and poor drivers. That would kill the whole computing industry. Great.

TNproud2b
Mac Elite
Apr 25, 2002, 12:32 PM

Originally posted by olePigeon:
<STRONG>I'm hoping Microsoft won't be around in 5 years.</STRONG>

It that the only way for Apple to succeed?
*empty space*

Forum Links
Forum Rules