Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Networking > Can't get our Macs to see WET11 wireless bridge

Can't get our Macs to see WET11 wireless bridge
butchfoote
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 20, 2006, 07:37 AM

We have a number of Macs in the house. One of them, an old iMac DV, has been successly connected to a Linksys WRT54G broadband wired/wireless router via a Linksys WET11 wireless ethernet bridge for some time.

We are now moving from Comcast to Verizon FIOS but still have both connected. We aren't using any wireless connections on the FIOS router yet, but would like to connect this bridge to FIOS.

In order to reconfigure the WET11, I need to access its internal config utility, normally achieved by accessing the WET11 at it's 'default' address of 192.168.1.225. When I set the iMac to talk to the WET11 at this ip address it never responds. (I've even tried this from different macs).

What am I missing or doing wrong?

Thanks in advance!!!

Butchfoote

ghporter
Administrator
Aug 20, 2006, 11:05 AM

Do a hard reset on the WET11 to return it to its default settings-including its default IP. It looks very much like the box's IP has changed and that's what your problem is. It's possible to set these things to have a dynamic IP (why I don't know-it's stupid to have to reset everything to factory settings and reconfigure everything whenever you want to make one change...), so when you do get into it make sure you have it KEEP a static IP.

You might also want to see about a faster bridge. Really, really. The WET11 is good and all that, but with fiber coming into the house, an 11Mbps (max) wireless bridge will feel like walking through tar.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

butchfoote  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 24, 2006, 05:03 PM

Glenn
Sorry to bug you again on this, but I can't figure out how to make the WET11 and iMac talk to the WRT router since we moved to FIOS. We have G3 PB, iMac G4, iMac G5 all running great over the wire and my son can connect to the wireless side from his HP XP PC. No problems AT ALL with this transition.

But this WET puppy is AWFUL. I've tried configuring it per the manual both the a Mac and a PC. It doesn't work as advertised. I had it running before and now it's gone and I can't figure out what I did before.

I am ready to give up and drill a hole in the ceiling to get to my daughters iMac. It would be much quicker than this has taken over Thanksgiving.

ghporter
Administrator
Nov 24, 2006, 07:06 PM

There's a good possibility that the WET11 is just not working properly. And with the last firmware update over two and a half years old, I don't think it's going to be the best choice for anything, really. Plus it's only capable of 802.11B speeds, so it's slow as molasses compared to the hardware that your Macs and your HP have.

You can get the WET54G, Linksys' 802.11G bridge for less than $90 at Newegg, and if your time is worth much at all to you, that may be the way to go. Plus a new device will have a warranty and Newegg standing behind it. If it was me, this is what I'd do.

butchfoote  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 25, 2006, 09:29 AM

Thanks, Glenn for taking the time to make such a great suggestion. I'll see what I can find.

I took another but temporary route to getting my daughter online again. I got out the old G3 Wallstreet PB and an old Belkin Wireless Cardbus (PCMCIA) card and had it working in about 30 minutes. It would have taken far less if I hadn't spent so long trying to figure out how to feed the WEP key into airport. I finally got it in as hex.

She's online now. If ican figure out how to get her hard drive (full of iTunes music) on the net somewhere, then she can be fully back in business.

Again, thanks!

ghporter
Administrator
Nov 25, 2006, 12:21 PM

Another reason to get a newer bridge is that you can move up to WPA security. WEP is poo, to put it mildly-it is NOT secure in the least, effectively being a piece of "Magic Transparent Tape" on your door instead of a lock. WPA is easy to use (no worries about what to enter because the passphrase to key function is part of the standard!) and is VERY secure.

Shuriken
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 17, 2006, 04:25 AM

ok im doing everything on a PC..not that this should matter much but i have it so i changed it to a dhcp..oops i now know this but when i try to reset it nothing seems to happen...is there any amount of time or something i should be doing to reset the box to defalt setings?

ghporter
Administrator
Dec 17, 2006, 12:07 PM

A lot of Linksys boxes expect a certain level of Java functionality-if your PC doesn't have the latest Java package (direct from Sun-cut out all middle men) then fix that. And do a "hard" reset on the WET11 before you try again so you'll be starting from a known state.

Forum Links
Forum Rules