Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Yellow-ish TiBook screen?

Yellow-ish TiBook screen?
gdiddy
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 14, 2003, 05:01 PM

I just aquired a Compaq 1720 LCD screen and have it runnnig side by side with my TiBook and I noticed the Ti's screen has a slightly yellow cast ot it- image

I have tried adjustint the Ti's screen to loose the yellow and tried to make the Compaq screen match the TiBook to no avail.

Could there be some discoloration on the plastic film of my Ti's screen or is this just the way it has always looked it's just I've neve had anything to compare it to.

Thanks in advance,

G.
Michael: Hasn't everything been sort of discovered now by like Magellan and Cortez?

Buster: Oh, yeah yeah, those guys did a pretty good job.

seanyepez
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 14, 2003, 05:11 PM

If you haven't had another monitor to compare your PowerBook's screen to, it's quite possible that it's been that way as long as you've had it.

Which PowerBook G4 is it? The DVI-enabled PowerBooks had brighter, whiter screens than the original Titanium PowerBook G4's.

SubGeniux
Grizzled Veteran
Location: Shipped to another country by the US to be tortured so they can avoid Int. law.
Jun 14, 2003, 05:27 PM

Another thing to maybe try is changing your coloursyb profile, I'm not sure about the Tibooks, but on the pismo, the default lcd profile gave a very white (washed out) look, have a fiddle with profile and see what happens.

The Placid Casual
Professional Poster
Jun 14, 2003, 05:38 PM

From my experince this 'yellowing', can happen to LCDs naturally...

In the top left and bottom right corners of my 17" Studio Display, it has clearly developed a 'yellow' tint over time.

I have also noticed it a little on my 3 year old iBook 466SE when it sits next to my 12" Powerbook.

I spoke to Apple about it and they said it was just 'natural'... didn't make any odds to me as bioth items are out of warranty anyway...

Peace,

Marc

Burke
Forum Regular
Jun 14, 2003, 06:14 PM

Originally posted by gdiddy:
I just aquired a Compaq 1720 LCD screen and have it runnnig side by side with my TiBook and I noticed the Ti's screen has a slightly yellow cast ot it- image

I have tried adjustint the Ti's screen to loose the yellow and tried to make the Compaq screen match the TiBook to no avail.

Could there be some discoloration on the plastic film of my Ti's screen or is this just the way it has always looked it's just I've neve had anything to compare it to.

Thanks in advance,

G.
Are you a smoker by any chance? I've seen several LCDs affected by smoke, and they turned "yellowish" as well.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Jun 14, 2003, 06:47 PM

Originally posted by gdiddy:

Thanks in advance,

G.
Yes, you're comparing against a desktop screen. The brighter the screen, the whiter it is. A good quality desktop screen is going to win every time - unlimited power. BTW, your picture isn't very useful, since the screen is green grass.

Compare the screen against the 12" PowerBook. The 12" is MUCH more yellow than the TiBooks. Even the 17" isn't quite as bright as the currect DVI 15", although those two are very close.

gdiddy  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 14, 2003, 08:58 PM

Thanks for all the info! No, I'm not a smoker, but ironically, the Compaq LCD was a piece of fire salvage that I tore completely apart (cleaned every circuit board, piece of glass and all the other pieces of film) and cleaned. I guess I'll just have to get used to it.
Michael: Hasn't everything been sort of discovered now by like Magellan and Cortez?

Buster: Oh, yeah yeah, those guys did a pretty good job.

mrmister
Mac Elite
Jun 15, 2003, 12:59 PM

Get SuperCal off VersionTracker and do a complete calibration--you should be able to correct for the tint.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Jun 15, 2003, 02:23 PM

Originally posted by mrmister:
Get SuperCal off VersionTracker and do a complete calibration--you should be able to correct for the tint.
The tint will vary with the brightness, so if you ever change the brightness it will need re-calibration.

Forum Links
Forum Rules