Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > NoSleep for powerbooks!

NoSleep for powerbooks!
gdiddy
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 29, 2003, 11:10 AM

Just started using NoSleep with my Power Book (Ti 1ghz) and it works just fine. I know that Apple advises against doing this but what is the difference between running my powerbook with the lid closed, display asleep and having it hooked up to an external monitor/keyboard/mouse lid closed? I heat is the main concern here doesn't the 'Book still generate heat either way?

Any understanding on this will be greatly appreciated!
Michael: Hasn't everything been sort of discovered now by like Magellan and Cortez?

Buster: Oh, yeah yeah, those guys did a pretty good job.

escher
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 29, 2003, 12:36 PM

I was under the impression that all PowerBooks were able to run in "closed-lid mode" by default from the factory.

What a great hack/utility NoSleep is. I'll have to try it with my iBook/500. Just need to get an external monitor first.

Escher
"The only laptop computer that's useful is the one you have with you."
Until we get a 3 lbs sub-PowerBook, the 12-inch PowerBook will do.

slow moe
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 29, 2003, 01:10 PM

Originally posted by escher:
I was under the impression that all PowerBooks were able to run in "closed-lid mode" by default from the factory.
Somewhere in my user manual it said to just hook a monitor, and a usb keyboard and mouse to the powerbook, put it to sleep, close the lid, and then wake the powerbook using the usb keyboard. In that order to, I believe.
Lysdexics have more fnu.

gdiddy  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 29, 2003, 01:12 PM

Originally posted by escher:

What a great hack/utility NoSleep is. I'll have to try it with my iBook/500. Just need to get an external monitor first.

Escher
PowerBooks will run in closed lid mode, but only with an external keyboard, mouse & monitor. If you close the lid without an external keyboard, mouse & monitor it will go into sleep mode. NoSleep lets it keep running with the lid closed.

My main concern is that using my book with the lid closed will damage something but it doesn't seem to make sense since you can run it with the books lid closed with external keyboard, mouse & monitor hooked up. What prevents a PowerBook with external keyboard, mouse & monitor from overheating? Is the display completely powered down?

I guess I could see some harm if you left the display on full brightness and were really maxing out the cpu and heating everything up reall well.

Anyone have any experience with this? I'd like to use my 'Book in my car as kind of an overgrown iPod, hooked up to my car stereo with one of those cassette tape converters
Michael: Hasn't everything been sort of discovered now by like Magellan and Cortez?

Buster: Oh, yeah yeah, those guys did a pretty good job.

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Jun 29, 2003, 03:38 PM

Originally posted by gdiddy:
I'd like to use my 'Book in my car as kind of an overgrown iPod, hooked up to my car stereo with one of those cassette tape converters
I'm not really sure that's the greatest idea. I just would worry that a bump or sudden stop would send it flying and perhaps crash the hard disk. I think it would probably be ok in terms of heat, though. Real iPods are getting pretty cheap if you look for used or refurbished ones...

DekuDekuplex
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 2, 2003, 05:18 PM

Originally posted by Icruise:
I'm not really sure that's the greatest idea. I just would worry that a bump or sudden stop would send it flying and perhaps crash the hard disk. I think it would probably be ok in terms of heat, though. Real iPods are getting pretty cheap if you look for used or refurbished ones...
Indeed; I read in a hardware manual once that a hard disk is highly susceptible to sudden jolts when the disk is spinning; such jolts can crash the head into the platter, destroying the hard disk.

I always put my PowerBook on a stable surface whenever the disk is spinning. If you need to put the PowerBook on an unstable surface, you should first power down the hard disk.

DekuDekuplex
PowerBook® 17-inch [Rev. A] @ 1 GHz
512 MB RAM, 60 GB HD, AEBS, APP/PB
"Furuike ya, kawazu tobikomu mizu no oto."
-- Matsuo Basho

Forum Links
Forum Rules