Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Wincent.org now not entirely sure that 4K78 is GM

Wincent.org now not entirely sure that 4K78 is GM
silverfox
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 20, 2001, 02:36 PM

Wincent and Sho admit they are speculating in their latest update today, and Sho seems to be getting to be a little restless that a pre-release is not the GM...

Sho:
"Evidence is mounting that Apple may only be including 4k78 in certain limited-run "preview" copies of OSX distributed to Mac dealers and various other third parties, and it is rumoured that the "retail" boxes to be available 24/3/01 include a new, as yet unseen build."

However, Wincent is still of the opinion that the build will be identical and that they actually do have a copy.

Yet, "evidence is mounting"...

So can we all agree that nobody is sure what is goin on, and that nobody is stating anything but opnion and there hasn't been any fact?

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
Mar 20, 2001, 02:41 PM

Very interesting considering that they were "SO SURE" I think that either way it will be fine. I'm sure they haven't changed all that much. We can always hope, but don't hold your breath. I'm still very excited either way...

------------------

kertong
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 20, 2001, 02:54 PM

all this speculation about 4k78 being the GM or not! The Suspense!

Its an amazing time in Apple history, I'm enjoying every bit of it. Look ourselves! I see a new post pop up at least every 5 seconds on these forums - the OSX General Discussion is now the only section I visit, as it takes up most of my time and is the most exciting.

Well, its cool that people are speculationg, and some are very firm in their beliefs, but I still believe that there is room for anything to happen. We won't know for sure until saturday. Apple is a clever cookie. They have tricks up their sleeve (I'm hoping).

All in all, I'm very glad to be witnessing this day of apple history and sharing with all y'all.
I live my life one cool toy at a time.

tanhauser
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 20, 2001, 02:58 PM

I totally agree with kertong, I too am enjoying every single second. The speculation, the debate, the posts, the screenshots, the reviews, everything.

Like I said earlier, it's all part of the fun.

F

the_sisko
Forum Regular
Mar 20, 2001, 03:02 PM

But they forgot to say *what* evidence is mounting and *why* Apple would do such a thing. I really, really, doubt that. Please, if you have an answer, make it reasonable--no conspiracy theories, please.

Then again, I also said that Apple would never ship a developer CD to the average Joe OSX customer...

the_sisko
Forum Regular
Mar 20, 2001, 03:03 PM

I'm enjoying every bit of this too. It's nice having a little bit of gratification each day with all the daily leaks/rumors/myths about OSX, rather than just one day of gratification when the box comes to me in the mail.

Mr Scruff
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 20, 2001, 03:07 PM

Wincent still think K78 is the GM. Sho doesn't, and never did. I don't think anything has changed. The new evidence is just lots of people posting that their 'secret sources' tell them that K78 isn't GM.

We'll have to wait and see if it is or not...

Gilsch2
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 20, 2001, 03:12 PM

Wow, that is very interesting. I was at a store here in LA yesterday and they had a cube with what the sales guy assured me was the GM. (I started a new thread with the complete story if you wanna check it out). The guy assured me(after I annoyed him with repeated "ARE YOU SURE THIS IS THE GM" questions) he had opened the box himself. The build was 4K78, and it didn't say GM or final candidate or anything. Could it be that stores got a semi-complete "preview" version? If that is the case, I was at a much bigger store just down the street, and they were not showing OS X on any of their computers on display there. EXCITING TIMES INDEED!!!

chrisml
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 20, 2001, 03:12 PM

Unreal. I really wish he would just say "I don't know what I have" and wait for Saturday. The final has become like Bigfoot. Lots of big footprints and "experts" to explain them but no body.

Chris

[This message has been edited by chrisml (edited 03-20-2001).]

gotterdamm
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 20, 2001, 03:16 PM

I wish Apple Emp would just tell us if Wincent is right or not.
Would save us all a lot of time.

apple emp
Forum Regular
Mar 20, 2001, 03:21 PM

we dont know internally

so chill out like all of us and wait until saturday.

------------------
not speaking for my employer, these views are mine alone

gotterdamm
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 20, 2001, 03:22 PM

Wow, that was fast

Lord Kronos
Senior User
Mar 20, 2001, 03:23 PM

Originally posted by apple emp:
we dont know internally

You really don't know ? or you can't tell us ?
"Sing you fools ! But you got it wrong..."

dark3lf
Mac Elite
Mar 20, 2001, 03:27 PM

we dont know internally

I said it before, and I'll say it again: haha!

ekoelbel
Mar 20, 2001, 03:28 PM

so the demo package sent to retailers= k78, but maybe oh maybe Final will be faster with a lot of apps?

why would apple ship a demo version that was slower without apps if they had a faster, app-filled retail version a day away? not exactly putting your best sales foot forward in stores if your demo is at all inferior to your boxed release.....

davidski
Forum Regular
Mar 20, 2001, 03:29 PM

apple emp may respond to this, but I would take him at his word, that he doesn't know either. If so, that's great - in the sense that it just adds to the mystery! Jeeze, after all the speculation, actually using the software may be a bit of a let down.

ColonelSawtooth
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 20, 2001, 03:42 PM

I also posted this at Wincent.org

Now lets take a step back and think about this. . .

1. We all know how Apple, especially Steve, likes to keep things so secret. I seriously doubt that the final release was leaked so early. That doesn't mean that it's not that same base code as '78, but I bet that if it is indeed '78, that the final version has some big surprises.

2. What's all this about the 21st? If the offical release is Sat, why all the hoopla Wed???

Here's why -
Apple is planning something big, many people have said that this is the most important thing that they have done since the introduction of the original Mac in '84, and Steve is not going to let anyone steal his mojo. My speculation is that they are going to tell everyone about it Wed, then start mass shipping it from their main distributors - and that's why we've all been upgraded to FedEX Sat. Because FedEx is the only way he could hold off the shipping to Wed and still have people get it Sat, or even early next week.

Think about it, it all makes perfect sense.

Apple is not going to blow this one, they have fooled all of us and OS X final will absolutely rock.

Just an idea. . .

--
The Colonel

Mr Heliums
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 20, 2001, 03:43 PM

Let's face it, none of us will know exactly what's in those boxes until ... well are there any midnight openings in Oz? That would make it around 8am Friday (Eastern Time)

Mr H (who's wallowing in all this excitement)

the man
Mar 20, 2001, 03:47 PM

Could apple be hiding the truth from us?

I mean,

- AppleInsider boards has been down for a week (does that really take 1 week? I dont think so)
- MacNN Boards has had trouble (for me at least)

Maybe apple told macnn / appleinsider (or paid them whatever) to close their boards - and maybe they did the same with wincent, telling him to say that k78 = GM
maybe - maybe not

we'll see in a few days

apple emp
Forum Regular
Mar 20, 2001, 03:55 PM

i'd say 99.9% of us have no idea what is going to be in OSX.

only a couple more days and we find out, besides it is absolutely gorgeous outside right now, time for some lunch

------------------

PowerBookDude
Mar 20, 2001, 03:59 PM

only a couple more days and we find out, besides it is absolutely gorgeous outside right now, time for some lunch

apple emp good to see you back (or I didn't any of you posts latly)!

------------------
Ti 500/384/20/Airport
------------------
Pismo 500/256/12/Airport
------------------
iMac DV SE 400/128/12/Airport
------------------
iBook Blueberry 300/96/3/Airport
------------------
Other stuff
------------------
Epson 980 and 740i
------------------
SoundSticks
------------------
Visor Prism
------------------
Palm V (not being used)

tie
Professional Poster
Mar 20, 2001, 04:28 PM

This is slick. I'm hoping it gets faster, though I'm not expecting much. Wincent seemed so depressed that k78 was gm (even though his review of k78 was positive) that I was hoping he was wrong. In general, I usually open all my apps at startup so launch speed isn't such a big deal (except for Sherlock, which quits when you close the annoying window and takes forever to launch again). Also in the pb,my list of startup items never lasted more than one or two logins -- hopefully this has been fixed.
The 4 o'clock train will be a bus.
It will depart at 20 minutes to 5.

Misha
Professional Poster
Mar 20, 2001, 04:34 PM

Well said. Bravo.

aleph_null
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 20, 2001, 05:20 PM

Yeah, wish my office wasn't inside with no windows...

Time for a TiBook.

The Apple cafeteria's quite nice, by the way.

I personally favor the idea that k78 is GM, byte-for-byte, and that any new goodies or extras will be in the form of iDisk disk images. There'll be a dot release within 2 months which will provide some optimizations, a few extra UI niceties, and bug-fixes.

I think the fact that it's actually shipping, after years of work, and that it's as cool as it is and works as well as it does is more than enough "surprise". Hats off to Apple. "Insanely great" and all that...

Maybe I'll make a Jamba Juice run...

fobside
Mac Elite
Mar 20, 2001, 06:29 PM

Originally posted by kertong:
all this speculation about 4k78 being the GM or not! The Suspense!

Its an amazing time in Apple history, I'm enjoying every bit of it. Look ourselves! I see a new post pop up at least every 5 seconds on these forums - the OSX General Discussion is now the only section I visit, as it takes up most of my time and is the most exciting.

Well, its cool that people are speculationg, and some are very firm in their beliefs, but I still believe that there is room for anything to happen. We won't know for sure until saturday. Apple is a clever cookie. They have tricks up their sleeve (I'm hoping).

All in all, I'm very glad to be witnessing this day of apple history and sharing with all y'all.
life...nothing more than what one company does in the personal computer industry? hehe, maybe so...maybe so.

------------------
I used to use a PC.

JeffH
Mar 20, 2001, 07:03 PM

Bear with me on this one:
When Steve Jobs rejoined Apple it was with one aim in mind; to give the OS the biggest shake-up in its history - every hardware item since has been designed with OS X in mind, the translucent look is obvious in Aqua and in the choice of materials.
When Jobs re-took full control he kept the 'i' in 'iCEO',
"..to remind myself what is really important , the internet."
Since then he has restated his aim of making Apple the 'digital hub' of a modern lifestyle - with the internet vital to this vision.
Add to this the fact that every TV ad for Apple I have seen recently features 'iTunes' as the new killer app.
Then ask yourself if OS X (GM, retail, final candidate, whatever) is likely to ship on March 24th without a fully functioning browser, with a "killer" email app. (on an OS designed for stability) that crashes fatally, with iTunes as a downloadable option only, with all the debugging code still in place (read Wincent review) and that actually runs slower than the older code.
I know what I think.

Forum Links
Forum Rules