Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > GUI Customization > Pez Update?

Pez Update?
gdiddy
Dedicated MacNNer
May 30, 2003, 09:11 AM

Hey Adam,

Any chance of getting this updated to work on 10.2/3? I really miss this theme.
Michael: Hasn't everything been sort of discovered now by like Magellan and Cortez?

Buster: Oh, yeah yeah, those guys did a pretty good job.

Brien
Professional Poster
May 30, 2003, 10:08 AM

Adam's busy dude... you'll have to wait. Use ThemeFur.

FB Eye
Senior User
May 30, 2003, 10:53 AM

Speaking of ThemeFur, there's one theme I never managed to get *fured* and that's Sosumi...

I've succeded in the past with other themes, and that's because they were either in .theme or .dtla format. But considering Sosumi was only available as a package installer, how do you proceed?

Maybe smeger could help me on this one? And Zimphire, still planning on releasing the update Sosumi?

Thanks!!!

Brien
Professional Poster
May 30, 2003, 10:56 AM

The theme file should be inside the .pkg. Right click (or control click) the package, its in thier somewhere.

FB Eye
Senior User
May 30, 2003, 01:01 PM

Ok brain fart here... Sosumi isn't a package, it comes as a folder will all the elements + a terminal script command (install.pl)...

Back then, I tried renaming the folder called "Files" to Sosumi.theme or Sosumi.dlta and then running this Folder through ThemeFur. Neither Duality or ThemeChanger would recognize the *fured* renamed folder.

What else can I do?
Thanks!!!

darkcore
Dedicated MacNNer
May 30, 2003, 01:08 PM

The folder should have a file named Extras.rsrc, run that through Themefur

Dace
Mac Elite
May 30, 2003, 01:08 PM

Originally posted by FB Eye:
Ok brain fart here... Sosumi isn't a package, it comes as a folder will all the elements + a terminal script command (install.pl)...

Back then, I tried renaming the folder called "Files" to Sosumi.theme or Sosumi.dlta and then running this Folder through ThemeFur. Neither Duality or ThemeChanger would recognize the *fured* renamed folder.

What else can I do?
Thanks!!!
I have no idea what you are talking about, I had no trouble updating Sosumi. And Themefur only works with Extras.rsrc not folders or packages.

Data Bytes Computers - Montreal, QC
Ventes & Services / Sales & Services

smeger
Mac Elite
May 30, 2003, 03:15 PM

Everyone else's advice is A-1. The only file ThemeFur deals with is Extras.rsrc. You can find this by cntrl-clicking a .dlta or a .pkg and searching around for it.
Geekspiff - generating spiffdiddlee software since before you began paying attention.

gdiddy  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
May 30, 2003, 03:37 PM

The converted Extras.rsrc doesnt seem to work with ThemeChanger?
Michael: Hasn't everything been sort of discovered now by like Magellan and Cortez?

FB Eye
Senior User
May 30, 2003, 03:39 PM

Ok, I know perfectly well how ThemeFur works and I know it does it's thing on Extras.rsrc!!! I converted Underling without any problems this morning...

The problem with Sosumi is that when you open the disk image, there is a Folder named "Files" and some kind of terminal script to install the theme... There isn't any .theme or .dlta file on that disk image... All the elements of the theme are sitting there in this "Files" folder... The Extras.rsrc file is in the folder as expected and I can easily get the file *fured* with ThemeFur...

But after that, no matter what I do, neither Duality nor ThemeChanger list the theme!!! It's nowhere to be seen, although I moved the folder "Files" (containing my *fured* Sosumi Extras.rsrc file) in the Themes folder where all my other themes are...

I've tried adding a .theme or .dtla extension to this folder but then both Duality and ThemeChanger complain of some mysterious error... AAARRRGHH!!!

I know I'm not an idiot, I've converted many other themes with ThemeFur before, but only that Sosumi theme is giving me trouble... What am I doing wrong?

Or maybe if someone could just mail me a *fured* Sosumi theme, that'd be sweet

smeger
Mac Elite
May 30, 2003, 03:45 PM

Since Sosumi isn't stored in a standard theme format, you can't expect your theme changer apps to read it.

To fur it, fur the extras.rsrc and replace the original with the furred one. Then run the script to install it.

Or, if you'd like to make it usable with Duality/ThemeChanger, cntrl-click on one of your .dlta themes and read the file main.themescript with a text editor. It's pretty self-explanatory how to assemble a .dlta if you read it.
Geekspiff - generating spiffdiddlee software since before you began paying attention.

FB Eye
Senior User
May 30, 2003, 03:57 PM

This is getting ridiculous

I followed your directions precisely, *furing* the Extras.rsrc file with success using ThemeFur... then ran the install script in the terminal, again successfuly... nice terminal message tells me to logout to begin using Sosumi... i do exactly that and what am I greeted with after login in again?

AQUA!!!

wtf? i rebooted just in case, but still no Sosumi... ran Aquafix, redid the operation in case I had made an error previously... same result:

AQUA

Bah, screw Sosumi, i give up...
( Last edited by FB Eye; May 30, 2003 at 04:32 PM. )

Dace
Mac Elite
May 30, 2003, 07:42 PM

Originally posted by FB Eye:
This is getting ridiculous

I followed your directions precisely, *furing* the Extras.rsrc file with success using ThemeFur... then ran the install script in the terminal, again successfuly... nice terminal message tells me to logout to begin using Sosumi... i do exactly that and what am I greeted with after login in again?

AQUA!!!

wtf? i rebooted just in case, but still no Sosumi... ran Aquafix, redid the operation in case I had made an error previously... same result:

AQUA

Bah, screw Sosumi, i give up...
Place the sosumi.rsrc in your themes folder, download MetamorphX...launch it, select the Sosumi.rsrc and install it. Duality used to be able to do this and Themechanger's arrogant and stubborn creators never implimented this feature in their app. You won't however have changed the Finder toolbar, bootpanel etc... Only the Extras.rsrc will have changed. Dazzla once updated Sosumi's Finder toolbar to include the new Forward button...I think I have his Sosumi 10.1 updated version with the forward button, but I'm not sure.

Data Bytes Computers - Montreal, QC
Ventes & Services / Sales & Services

Adam Betts
Addicted to MacNN
May 31, 2003, 12:40 PM

I've updated Pez to be compatible with 10.2.3 but haven't tested or tried it at all.

I can't do any further improvement or changes to Pez Theme because all of the important files and other themes (over one years worth of works) was lost during the backup. I was never really happy with the quality of Pez theme so it's not really a big losses for me. I'd love to do Pez 2 theme someday but it doesn't seem possible for me anymore. Theme making is way too time-consuming

bOOzo
Addicted to Themes
May 31, 2003, 02:20 PM

Originally posted by Adam Betts:
I was never really happy with the quality of Pez theme so it's not really a big losses for me. I'd love to do Pez 2 theme someday but it doesn't seem possible for me anymore. Theme making is way too time-consuming
I think you should give it a shot once ThemePark 1.0 is out, or wait until Panther is released and see if it has any more theming capabilities.

swiz
GUI Punk
May 31, 2003, 04:49 PM

Originally posted by Adam Betts:
I've updated Pez to be compatible with 10.2.3 but haven't tested or tried it at all.

I can't do any further improvement or changes to Pez Theme because all of the important files and other themes (over one years worth of works) was lost during the backup. I was never really happy with the quality of Pez theme so it's not really a big losses for me. I'd love to do Pez 2 theme someday but it doesn't seem possible for me anymore. Theme making is way too time-consuming
Adam-
Must you whip out a sweet download icon like that so nonchalantly when I can work for a week on an icon and have it look nowhere near as nice...

24" AlumiMac 2.4ghz C2D, 4g Ram, 300g HD, 750g USBHD • 80g iPod • 160g ATV • iPhone 3g

gdiddy  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 27, 2004, 06:15 PM

I know how much all you MacNN'ers love it when a thread is bumped back from the dead.

Adam, any chance of revising Pez for ShapeShifter?

Please everyone, no comments on sexual, color or position preferences.

Pez - It's here, it's peer(ple) -get used to it!

"Didd-iot

smeger
Mac Elite
Jan 27, 2004, 10:04 PM

I'm actually using Pez right now on my backup machine with ShapeShifter. I had to do some hacking to convert Pez from a .theme to a .dlta, though. I copied an existing DLTA theme and did a Show Package Contents on both, moved the stuff from the inside of the .theme to the inside of the new .dlta, and changed the main.themescript file around to reflect the changes.

I emailed Adam my guiKit file, maybe he'll post it somewhere.

I like this theme quite a bit.

gdiddy  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 28, 2004, 10:54 AM

Smeger - You are awesome!

I tried messing around with theme park last night and made some progress - but why reinvent the wheel!

Adam, please let this great theme see the light of day again.

gdiddy  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 29, 2004, 03:25 PM

bump-azoo-la

gdiddy  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 31, 2004, 04:07 PM

one more time!

Bump.

Hi I'm Mike
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 31, 2004, 10:48 PM

are you bumping in the night? watch where you are going, bumping posts is silly.

gdiddy  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 31, 2004, 11:31 PM

Bumping posts is silly! Never does anything but annoy people with nothing else to do but complain.

... oh, by the way. All my "bumping" got me this:

http://homepage.mac.com/adambetts/c...es/PezTheme.zip

Thanks to Adam and Smeger for getting this one together!

Now, can someone tell me why my toolbar buttons are so small using shapeshifter??

zachs
Mac Elite
Feb 1, 2004, 12:02 AM

Originally posted by gdiddy:
Bumping posts is silly! Never does anything but annoy people with nothing else to do but complain.

... oh, by the way. All my "bumping" got me this:

http://homepage.mac.com/adambetts/c...es/PezTheme.zip

Thanks to Adam and Smeger for getting this one together!

Now, can someone tell me why my toolbar buttons are so small using shapeshifter??
Link doesn't work...?

Forum Links
Forum Rules