Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > New Powerbook G5

New Powerbook G5
zorrito
Aug 31, 2004, 09:57 AM

Hello, I am new to the forum, and I am about to travel to USA, ther I will buy a new powerbook G4 12'', but I heard that the new powerbook G5 is coming soon. Can anyone tell me when is going to be out!! thanks in advance for the help.

Felipe
i-book G3 Blueberry
Powerbook G4 12'' :D:D

d.fine
Mac Elite
Aug 31, 2004, 10:13 AM

I don't think there is a date set for the G5 PB's, but looking at the G5 iMac and the size of it, I'd think it wont take long .... but how long I don't dare say

stuffing feathers up your b*tt doesn't make you a chicken.

freakboy2
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 31, 2004, 11:18 AM

i'm not sure how much faster a g5 powerbook at 1.6 will be than at g4 at 1.5.. also you might give up battery life.

how the g5 runs in a laptop is an open question.

fb

jcadam
Mac Elite
Aug 31, 2004, 01:21 PM

Originally posted by d.fine:
I don't think there is a date set for the G5 PB's, but looking at the G5 iMac and the size of it, I'd think it wont take long .... but how long I don't dare say
My thoughts exactly. They CAN fit a G5 into a laptop. The iMac G5 is proof. Probably waiting on a few things

1. Apple to design the thing (probably complete our nearly complete)

2. 970FX production to get into full swing (the current demand for PM G5s and iMac G5s at least needs to be met)

3. Clear the channel of PowerBook G4s
Caffeinated Rhino Software -- Education and Training management software

Stradlater
Professional Poster
Aug 31, 2004, 01:42 PM

Originally posted by jcadam:
My thoughts exactly. They CAN fit a G5 into a laptop. The iMac G5 is proof. Probably waiting on a few things

1. Apple to design the thing (probably complete our nearly complete)

2. 970FX production to get into full swing (the current demand for PM G5s and iMac G5s at least needs to be met)

3. Clear the channel of PowerBook G4s
The iMac G5 is thicker than an XServe. New Powerbooks will eventually come, sure, but who knows how soon?
"You rise," he said, "like Aurora."

StevenWRX
Forum Regular
Aug 31, 2004, 01:44 PM

it will definitely be a while.

plus the first version will most likely have teething problems. So i would wait for at least revision B. That will be a long ways off.

thats why i went ahead and bought my revision C 17" no regrets.
-Rev. C PowerBook 17" 1.5GHz
-iPod Mini 4gb Silver (Rev. B)
-Gaming Rig: AMD Athlon 64 X2 4200+ Manchester, Asus A8N-E, 2 Gig Corsair XMS, nVidia GeForce 7900GT PCI-E, Seagate 320gb Barracuda HDD, Samsung 16X Dual Layer w/ LightScribe, Thermaltake Tsunami, Antec 550W True Power 2.0, Saitek Eclipse Keyboard, Logitech MX518 Gaming Mouse, Samsung 19" 931B.

Randman
Posting Junkie
Aug 31, 2004, 01:51 PM

Originally posted by StevenWRX:
it will definitely be a while.

plus the first version will most likely have teething problems. So i would wait for at least revision B. That will be a long ways off.

thats why i went ahead and bought my revision C 17" no regrets.
Me too, just 2 weeks ago. Though now I'm wondering if I should have waited for a G5 iMac and a used 12 iBook G4 or PB for on-the-go usage.

This is a computer-generated message and needs no signature.

iREZ
Professional Poster
Aug 31, 2004, 02:45 PM

That's what I probably would have done, but then again I didn't get an offer for a 17" at a 15" price so then again who knows. I do feel as though a good desktop and notebook combo is much better than one powerful portable or desktop.
NOW YOU SEE ME! 2.4 MBP and 2.0 MBP (running ubuntu)

Snake
Aug 31, 2004, 02:51 PM

I think we will see the dual-core G4 chip in the next PB before the G5. It is a logical progression, I assume Apple is still having heat/power issues with putting the G5 in the powerbook.

It was my understanding that the G5 processor has a greater power requirement than the G4 does, and the Powerbook battery life already leaves much to be desired. Heat is going to be the real kicker, Apple needs to work out a fancy solution to that problem. Arent the PowerMacs liquid cooled now?

I love my 1.33 ghz Powerbook now, and will probably keep it indefinately. You just have to get used to the fact that newer and better computers are released all the time, and unless you are rich you can never be on top of the curve 24-7.

15" 1.33ghz Al Powerbook w/1GB RAM, 64mb ATI VRAM
60GB 7200rpm Hitachi Travelstar 7K60 HD
20GB 4G iPod w/click wheel

d.fine
Mac Elite
Sep 1, 2004, 05:32 AM

oh, and by the way ...

Bienvenido a MacNN !!

stuffing feathers up your b*tt doesn't make you a chicken.

Lancer409
Professional Poster
Sep 1, 2004, 06:09 AM

i cant wait to see if they change the styling of the powerbooks for a G5 model. I dunno when one comes out but I dont think it will be for a while .. I think i'm going to enjoy my powerbook for the next two years .. I wont touch a G5 powerbook until REV B at the earliest .. or REV C ...

No trees were killed in the sending of this message. However, a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

zorrito  (op)
Sep 1, 2004, 09:29 AM

Originally posted by d.fine:
oh, and by the way ...

Bienvenido a MacNN !!

Gracias amigo, nos vemos en el foro!!!!
i-book G3 Blueberry
Powerbook G4 12'' :D:D

Eriamjh
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 1, 2004, 12:00 PM

My optimism for a G5 powerbook is dampened by the G5 iMac. At over 2" thick with three fans, it's gonna take a new G5 chip with lower power consumption to squeeze that sucker into a PB just over 1 inch thick. Apple will not want to cross the 1" barrier by much. PB users have been spoiled snce the first G4 PB.

I think the iMac gives us insight into the PB G5. It will have at most two ram slots and be single channel memory like the iMac.

I don't think we'll be seeing a G5 PB until January at the soonest with July being more likely unless Apple has some amazing thermal technology up their sleeves. Expect the next PB to be a dual-core G4 by FreeScale (Motorola). Expect it first.

I'm a bird. I am the 1% (of pets).

tkmd
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 1, 2004, 12:44 PM

I have to admit I am really excited about a g5 in pb- but not in the current crop of 970's. Look at some these numbers. These chips are hot and quite frankly at slower (1.6GHz) speeds don't offer significant gains compared to the fastest G4 (especially if the 'free scale' division of Motorola) comes through with its new chips. Sure, increase the speed to 2Ghz+, the G5 begins to turn into a monster with its faster FSB and its longer pipeline (compared to the current G4) becomes less of hindrance.

The G4, IMO has room to grow. As much as Apples PR group and Mac groupies cry for the g5 in a PB, as far the near future is concerned the g4 is destined in the pb. Sure I would want a g5- at least for bragging rights- but bottom line the g4 can compete quite well at sub 2 gHz speeds. maybe the 980 will be a better match later. The real curiosity will be in the performance of the imac g5. a slower bus (600 mhz) and single chip should be a better comparison of a 970 in a pb. If it truly shows gains then I will take back the above statements - but I don't think it will.
Pismo 400 | Powerbook 1.5 GHz | MacPro 2.66/6GB/7300GT

Lancer409
Professional Poster
Sep 1, 2004, 02:28 PM

i cant wait to see what comes up in the coming months! i wonder .. if and when the G5 comes through the pipes .. will the powerbook styling change?

No trees were killed in the sending of this message. However, a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

StevenWRX
Forum Regular
Sep 1, 2004, 02:45 PM

Originally posted by iREZ:
That's what I probably would have done, but then again I didn't get an offer for a 17" at a 15" price so then again who knows. I do feel as though a good desktop and notebook combo is much better than one powerful portable or desktop.

i am very happy so far with my new 17" being my only computer. It is plenty capable for what i do, plus i can take it to the local coffee shops and around campus.

the g5 desktop was great, but i needed something portable.
-Rev. C PowerBook 17" 1.5GHz
-iPod Mini 4gb Silver (Rev. B)
-Gaming Rig: AMD Athlon 64 X2 4200+ Manchester, Asus A8N-E, 2 Gig Corsair XMS, nVidia GeForce 7900GT PCI-E, Seagate 320gb Barracuda HDD, Samsung 16X Dual Layer w/ LightScribe, Thermaltake Tsunami, Antec 550W True Power 2.0, Saitek Eclipse Keyboard, Logitech MX518 Gaming Mouse, Samsung 19" 931B.

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Sep 2, 2004, 01:13 AM

Originally posted by StevenWRX:
i am very happy so far with my new 17" being my only computer. It is plenty capable for what i do, plus i can take it to the local coffee shops and around campus.
Ever been to Pizza Pucks? It's a weird pizza place that only sells these little pizza... well, pucks. They're good. Kinda like puck shaped calzones.

Anyway, they have wireless and it was a hoot to go down there for some pizza and wireless gaming.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

meatyocre
Sep 2, 2004, 08:51 AM

Any thoughts on the PB G5 styling and form-factor? Will they keep the Aluminum body, or will that eventually retire along with the G4 chip?

Whatever the outcome, I am jumping on the next revision. My portable is a 12" PB Rev A. Still a great machine, but I prefer the updates...many important updates.

Forum Links
Forum Rules