Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > How to move OSX to new Hard Drive?

How to move OSX to new Hard Drive?
rlmorel
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 9, 2002, 01:30 AM

Hi all,
I cannot seem to figure this out. Apparently, you cannot just copy everything over to a new hard drive and make it work, ala OS9. I am putting in one of those 120GB drives, and I don't want to reinstall everything. Can anyone point me in the right direction?
Thanks,
Bob Morel

"An argument isn't just saying 'No it isn't'!" "Yes it is!" "NO IT ISN'T!"

Brit Ben
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 9, 2002, 03:06 AM

Originally posted by rlmorel:
<STRONG>Hi all,
I cannot seem to figure this out. Apparently, you cannot just copy everything over to a new hard drive and make it work, ala OS9. I am putting in one of those 120GB drives, and I don't want to reinstall everything. Can anyone point me in the right direction?
Thanks,
Bob Morel</STRONG>
painful. basically, use ditto with the -rsrcFork option. Then bless the CoreServices folder on the copied disk using the bless command.

man ditto
man bless

Cheers,
Ben.

drjonesdotorg
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 9, 2002, 01:28 PM

Rimorel,

The very easy way to do this is by getting the latest Apple System Restore app from a system CD set. You have to have 2.1.1 at least. I got 2.1.2 from a macpage, but I can't find the page now.
Instructions usually talk about making a disk image with diskcopy, which limits you to 2GB. But if you just drop your working (even booted) OS X disk on the ASR app, you can 'image' the full disk to a fresh partition. Then just go to startup disk, choose it, & boot. I've done it, just had to change names, and you may have trouble if there are aliases.
The version I used would work while booted from 10.1, I believe, but where you really want to use this is over the network, which means any OS 9 System Software disk should do.

Hope this does it for you.

DJ
If a man expresses his true feeling or thought, and there's no woman to hear, is he still wrong?

Samanoske
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 9, 2002, 07:54 PM

The Terminal tool hfspax (Click me 4 Versiontracker!) did a quit good job for me. The custum Icons where gone but everything else was just wonderful. You need Terminal experience and root access. Ready the docu carefully. I checked out - that you don�t need to make several pax for each dir, but u can pax the root dir as well in one archive. Ya i know my english but ...

THIZ PLACE ROXX
.- OS X aDDICTED -.

ColonelSawtooth
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 10, 2002, 01:25 AM

Hi rlmorel,
I just moved my entire 12 GB OS X partition onto a new dedicated drive this afternoon. After a few days a tooling around with different command line tools and ASR, I ended up using Tri-Backup to copy my whole drive. The process was a little slow (about 35 minutes), but everything worked perfectly. Here is a link to the software on versiontracker, good luck. http://www.versiontracker.com/morein...id=4606&db=mac
--
The Colonel

yaro
Forum Regular
Jan 10, 2002, 03:12 AM

That problem has been solved. Buy retrospect.

matthewmodern
Jan 12, 2002, 01:08 AM

I would actually recommend against using Retrospect for this. Just tonight I used Retrospect (with the "copy an entire drive" function) for exactly this function when upgrading my Powerbook's internal drive. While all the files appeared restored to their correct locations on the new drive, the computer did not recognize the drive as a valid boot drive. DiskWarrior was able to fix this problem. However, even then, it appears that some files did not get copied correctly, as MacOSX was hanging on boot.

I considered trying again via Apple Software Restore, but that did not appear to support volumes larger than 4GB.

Instead, I ended up deleting everything and trying again using this method in OS9:
http://www.dan.co.jp/cases/macosx/backup-volume.html
Worked perfectly! And took about 1/5th of the time required by Retrospect. Mucho kudos to Dan for putting this info online, whoever he is.

-m

Forum Links
Forum Rules