Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Why is IE 5 so bad in OS 10.2 Jaguar

Why is IE 5 so bad in OS 10.2 Jaguar
Jay Bee
Aug 30, 2002, 02:07 PM

I just recently installed Jaguar (OS 10.2) on my DP 450 Power Mac. It is really great. Fast . I really like it. What I do not understand is why does Internet Explorer 5.1.2 run so bad. I think it runs great in OS 9 but in X I am having all sorts of problems. Seems just lazy, slow, I am getting the swirling multi-colored spinning ball. I have to force quit it to be able to continue.
Any other system window scrolls smoothly and resizes smoothly. Not IE. Jerky. At times the web page I go to will appear for an instant and then it will reappear with themself only partially loaded. I then must refresh or scroll to make it reappear.
Any one else having these problems with IE? As I said all other apps even other browsers do not show these irritating features.
Am I doing something wrong?
A friend of mine just purchased a new eMac 700Mhz and he has only 128MB of ram but IE seems to run better on his new machine and I cannot figure out why. I have ten times the amount of RAM he does. Could it be that just a little MHZ increase could allow IE to run smooth???????
I am confused........

dwishbone
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 30, 2002, 02:14 PM

what kind of graphics card does he have? if he has an eMac he can use Quartz Extreme to make the system run better. This really has a large effect on web browsing from what I hear. Unless you have a Radeon or GeForce 2/3/4 with 32MB RAM you are not going to see the same speeds.
Also, his computer is faster. The DP setup is great, but for alot of things that eMac 700 is going to run better.
24" iMac 2.13ghz C2D | 15" MBP 2ghz CD | "Soundwave" 60GB 5G iPod

solitere
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 30, 2002, 02:22 PM

"Why is IE 5 so bad in OS 10.2 Jaguar"

Regarding the subject of this tread as many other treads if you care to look is:

IE is a bad Carbon Port.. that�s it, that�s all...

Let�s hope the next major release of IE IE 5.5 or "6.0" is a better port!

dwishbone
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 30, 2002, 02:34 PM

i remember hearing something a while back, about the same time MSN 3.0 came out, that Microsoft said they were working on an OS X native version of IE 6 and would be available sometime in the first half of next year. I also heard there may be further updates to the 5.1.x version to help some of its problems until they can finish the true OS X version.
24" iMac 2.13ghz C2D | 15" MBP 2ghz CD | "Soundwave" 60GB 5G iPod

warnergt
Forum Regular
Aug 30, 2002, 02:39 PM

Maybe Apple has learned a trick from Microsoft -- a new OS isn't ready for shipping until it breaks the competition's software.

nestor68
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 30, 2002, 03:49 PM

The version of Internet Explorer included in Jaguar is the 5.2.1 and it's running smoothly for me.

LeeG
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 30, 2002, 04:33 PM

I have the exact same probs - I thought it was just me. G4/500/AGP/stock graphics (128 Rage pro - I Think), I have the page appear then disappear, and need to rescroll to get it to appear, I have also had endless spinning rainbows which needed force quit - one thing I love about X is that I can ALWAYS force quit errant M$ apps (IE for example) and they quit and restart without a prob. Never had these probs in earlier revisions of X - weird. Can't reliably repeat it either.

Lee
iPhone 3G 16Gb
24" 2.8Ghz Core 2 Duo iMac, 4GB/320GB/256MB
12" AlBook 1Ghz/768Mb/80Gb/Combo/AX

Jay Bee  (op)
Aug 30, 2002, 11:43 PM

LeeG,
It looks like you have almost the exact same setup as myself. And also having the same problem with IE that I am. I am running quartz extreme and using a factory installed ATI Radeon AGP card with 32MB. I also have 1.3 GB Ram installed.
I don't know about you but all the other aspects of Jaguar are great for me except IE 5.

It is really weird that a new eMac can run and render IE 5 better.

Must be some hardware difference in the newer Apple Lineup.

OreoCookie
Aug 31, 2002, 06:31 AM

Was IE ever a good browser.

I have found it cumbersome, ugly (no font smoothing for the longest time), no nice UI.

Gimme the UI of OmniWeb, the speed of Chimera and stability, and browsing would be fun again.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

dr. zoidberg
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 31, 2002, 07:34 AM

i had the very same problems already with 10.1.5... so this is certainly no news to me. let�s just hope for 6.0.

btw: if the content disappears righ after loading you can also press "select all" cmd-a and it should be there again. still, it is annoying.
"And Zapp Brannigan, your score qualifies you as assistant delivery boy, second class."
"Hmm. I guess I'll have to sleep my way to the top. Kif, wake me when I'm there."

Love Calm Quiet
Mac Elite
Aug 31, 2002, 09:28 AM

We've not had any problems with IE on our new iBook with a clean Jaguar install, but...

The version of IE that came with it is 5.2.1 !

Can you find that version online for upgrade? That might explain the problems?

Jay Bee  (op)
Aug 31, 2002, 10:11 AM

I am using the version that came with Jaguar. My friend with the eMac is also using the version that came with it. (5.2.1)
I have noticed one thing. It seems that the only ones who are having these problems are those of us with power macs. I don't know if this issue is just related to DP setups or not. It seems that Power Books, eMacs and iMacs are not having this issue. I played with his eMac for over four hours and never got a partial screen draw or spinning beachball. IE 5 on the eMac was comparable to IE 5 on OS 9.
As far as using IE in Jag it does appear faster than using it in 10.1.5 but still is plagued with these small irritating glitches that were in 10.1.5.
Now as far as my hard drive goes it is faster than the one in the newer eMac. Both systems are using a 100Mhz bus speed.
The only video card difference is that the eMac has Nvidea GF 2 which should be comparable to my ATI Raedon card. Both have 32MB memory.
The only other difference I can see is that he has a new machine with 700 mhz. I really do not think that is a factor as I see some here are having the same issue as myself with 800mhz machines.
It just may be some sort of a hardware incompatability or glitch with power macs that use a seperate moniter vs. a built in moniter.
At this stage it is really hard to tell...........

jrafter
Forum Regular
Aug 31, 2002, 10:15 PM

I experience some of the same screen problems, especially with font display, ONLY IF the "enable quartz text smoothing" preference is enabled. When it is turned off everything works OK. This is true with Word also, which suggests that there may be some problem with their internal implimentation of quartz text smoothing.

Jay Bee  (op)
Aug 31, 2002, 11:56 PM

Hey Jrafter....nice tip!!!!
By turning off "enable quartz text smoothing" within the IE 5 preferences pane I saw a world of difference.
I really never noticed this preference. It must have been turned on by default.
It really makes a world of difference. The text on web pages is sooooooo much clearer. I now do not have the problem of partial web page loads. I really cannot believe unchecking that box made so much difference.
I also noticed improved scrolling and faster page loads.
For all out there having this problem just go to IE 5 prefs>interface extras>uncheck "enable quartz text smoothing"
Hat's off to you!!!!!!!!!

ColonelSawtooth
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 1, 2002, 12:05 AM

Turning off the cache and limiting the history to only 50 pages in the advanced settings of the preferences make IE a completely different browser. I'm not sure why this makes such a difference, but IE goes from a slow, cumbersome pig, to an barely acceptable fairly decent browser.

It's really a shame the other browsers can't match the HTML rendering accuracy and javascript support of IE.
--
The Colonel

iKevin
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 1, 2002, 02:06 AM

Bizzare...it does seem to run faster when this is done.

I still like Netscape7 though.

milhous
Mac Elite
Sep 1, 2002, 03:31 AM

Bottom line is that IE6 is going to kill the competition, period.
F = ma

El Pre$idente
Banned
Sep 1, 2002, 06:22 AM

And I find Omniweb **** too. It's not really much faster than IE and has terrible support for CSS. Freezes up too.

Forum Links
Forum Rules