Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Ti Book battery weight saver?

Ti Book battery weight saver?
gdiddy
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 15, 2002, 01:39 AM

Does anyone know if there's such a thing as a Ti Book battery weight saver? Remember the ones they had for the pismos? I have a client who is buying several 1ghz powerbooks that will be plugged in for their whole lives. I managed to get a PB for myself and would love to have a bunch of spare batteries around the house.

G.
Michael: Hasn't everything been sort of discovered now by like Magellan and Cortez?

Buster: Oh, yeah yeah, those guys did a pretty good job.

emerrill
Dec 15, 2002, 02:19 AM

is that just like a plastic shell that fills the battery bay?

seanyepez
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 15, 2002, 03:42 AM

You can't buy one at the moment, but I'm sure you could have one made for you at a plastic shop.

iEvolve
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 15, 2002, 07:30 AM

What does it matter how much it weighs if it's plugged in and likely to be sitting on a desk?

mrtew
Professional Poster
Dec 15, 2002, 08:15 AM

I think they'd want the battery in there even if it was always plugged in, for three reasons.
1. There was a thread a week or so ago about how the processor runs much slower or at least performs much worse without the battery. It doesn't make a lot of sense but several people ran the test and got the same results. You might want to check that out.
2. If the power goes out, or even if the cord is jerked out (which has happened to me more than once at work) or the surgeprotector is switched off by a stray foot (also more than once) that battery comes in WAY handy for not losing all your work or worse.
3. If the company sells the computers after a year or two, or it they go bankrupt due to employee leeching, the computers might be worth more in a complete state.
I'd be tempted to take home a pile of batteries too, which I'd probably never end up using, and would finally sell on eBay for $20 a piece, but I think I would just leave them where they were and enjoy my new SuperTi with one battery.

I love the U.S., but we need some time apart.

gdiddy  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 15, 2002, 11:30 AM

Originally posted by mrtew:
I think they'd want the battery in there even if it was always plugged in, for three reasons.
1. There was a thread a week or so ago about how the processor runs much slower or at least performs much worse without the battery. It doesn't make a lot of sense but several people ran the test and got the same results. You might want to check that out.
2. If the power goes out, or even if the cord is jerked out (which has happened to me more than once at work) or the surgeprotector is switched off by a stray foot (also more than once) that battery comes in WAY handy for not losing all your work or worse.
3. If the company sells the computers after a year or two, or it they go bankrupt due to employee leeching, the computers might be worth more in a complete state.
I'd be tempted to take home a pile of batteries too, which I'd probably never end up using, and would finally sell on eBay for $20 a piece, but I think I would just leave them where they were and enjoy my new SuperTi with one battery.
These machines will be running a presentation out in the field by sales people with zero computer skills for the most part. On of the problems we'd had in the past with our Pismo units was the sales person not plugging the unit in and running the battery out and then being completely clueless as what to do. And it would also cause an expensive service call to diagnose the "problem". I don't think the comapny will go bankrupt any time soon either and these units will be used unitl they fall apart. The speed issue with the battery removed is the biggest problem at the moment though. That won't be easy to get around. Maybe there will be a firmware fix.

G.
Michael: Hasn't everything been sort of discovered now by like Magellan and Cortez?

Buster: Oh, yeah yeah, those guys did a pretty good job.

drmbb2
Forum Regular
Dec 15, 2002, 01:08 PM

Your serious ?!!! These people DON'T plug a laptop in, then run the battery down, and wonder WHY it stops working ?!!! Seriously, are they THAT clueless (if so, I DO feel for you). I'd think just a 5 minute "education" (read - smack upside the noggin) session would be enough to fix that, and, as said, with the battery in, they are covered if the power isn't available (for whatever reason). Also, the "speed" issue doesn't seem like it will be a huge problem for (presumably) powerpoint or software demo's.

Forum Links
Forum Rules