Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > News > Tech News > Toshiba ups the ante with 900GB HDD at 10,500RPM

Toshiba ups the ante with 900GB HDD at 10,500RPM
NewsPoster
MacNN Staff
Jul 12, 2012, 05:22 AM

Toshiba has upped the ante in the battle to deliver the fastest and largest capacity 2.5-inch hard disk drive. Toshiba claims that the new AL13SE, which uses a 6Gbps SAS 2.0 interface with a 64MB buffer, will boost transfer rates by 32 percent over its previous generation of hard drives. It also achieves its high performance by using a dual-stage head positioning actuator to deliver additional gains.

Aimed at Enterprise customers where mission-critical server and storage applications are required, the new drives are offered in 300GB, 450GB and 600GB models, in addition to the top of the line 900GB model. The drives are also offered mounted in a 3.5-inch bracket for legacy-based 3.5-inch servers. Toshiba is has yet to announce pricing or availability.

Ham Sandwich
Jul 14, 2012, 06:50 PM

Greetings. I am unable to delete my posts, and apparently you moderators are on some kind of a strike.

Therefore, I have removed the content of the original post by hand.

I am asking for this post to be deleted, since I don't seem to have the option to do that myself.

P
Jul 15, 2012, 07:41 AM

Flash drives are great, but I'm not convinced that there is production capacity in the world to put them everywhere there are HDDs today. It turns out that it is hard to make denser SSDs, which does not bode well. I'm a bit surprised that there are not more hybrid drives out there. The one on the market - Seagate XT - works very very well, and is a huge step up from regular spinning 2.5" drives.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

Forum Links
Forum Rules