Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > 17 million iPods sold in the last three months?

17 million iPods sold in the last three months?
volcano
Senior User
Jan 17, 2007, 02:58 PM

Okay, I've been trying my hardest to find some sort of link to an article for this, but I can't.

I've been watching CNN Headline News for a good portion of the day since my city is covered in ice, and almost everytime their "Your Money" segment comes on, they keep talking about Apple. According to CNN, Apple sold 17 million iPods in the last three months. That's insane.

If any of you have cable or digital cable, you should watch for that segment. The only reason I hate Headline News is due to the fact that their website is crap and it doesn't provide articles for everything they talk about during the show.

But regardless, that's a lot of iPods.

Dakar²
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 17, 2007, 03:00 PM

I picked one up shortly after they released the 5.5g. Being able to do double the rez plus twice the storage capacity of my current library size was too tantalizing.

Goldfinger
Professional Poster
Jan 17, 2007, 03:36 PM

I'm as amazed as your are every time I hear those sales numbers. Doesn't everybody have an iPod by now ? They still manage to move millions of iPods every month. Incredibe.

iMac 20" C2D 2.16 | Acer Aspire One | Flickr

iREZ
Professional Poster
Jan 17, 2007, 04:14 PM

consume people....

go and consume!
NOW YOU SEE ME! 2.4 MBP and 2.0 MBP (running ubuntu)

Rumor
Jan 17, 2007, 04:15 PM

I still don't have an iPod.
I like my water with hops, malt, hops, yeast, and hops.

HackManDan
Forum Regular
Jan 17, 2007, 04:23 PM

I just bought an iPod two weeks ago.

Oisín
Moderator Emeritus
Jan 17, 2007, 04:27 PM

Originally Posted by Goldfinger View Post
I'm as amazed as your are every time I hear those sales numbers. Doesn't everybody have an iPod by now ? They still manage to move millions of iPods every month. Incredibe.
If those figures are worldwide, then they’re not actually all that insane or incredible. In North America and most of Europe, everybody and his neighbour has an iPod (or two) already; in many other, densely populated, parts of the world, iPods are only just coming into their own now. Two years ago, when I left China, iPods were rare; they were just starting out with the ads, and only the rich kids had an iPod—back here, more or less everyone you saw in the street had one.

This winter, when I went back, they’d become quite commonplace: lots of people walked around with iPods, and they’re on sale everywhere now. But they’re still not nearly as ubiquitous as they are here. Consider that the Chinese market alone consists of roughly a billion people (disregarding the other roughly five hundred million as not being a realistic part of the market for an iPod), and think of how many other countries there are in similar economic positions as China—basically, most of Asia and South America. If Apple sells 70 million iPods per year, it’s still only a drop in the ocean of all the people who make up the potential market.

Edit: On the other hand, if those figures are not worldwide, and Apple sold 17 million iPods in the USA alone these past three months, then I agree: that is absolutely insane.

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 17, 2007, 04:42 PM

Ever since my 2g 10gig died on me last year (weeks after I'd bought a new battery upgrade for the damn thing!), I've been planning to get a new one. But, the new models coming out always make me wait for more! First it was the video iPod, then the "new" video iPod that looked a good bit nicer...now it's the iPhone, which isn't really an iPod replacement but is making me want to wait to see if they do something awesome to the iPod as well. Sigh.

greg
Mankind's only chance is to harness the power of stupid.

willed
Professional Poster
Jan 17, 2007, 05:13 PM

There are a good number of iPodders whose first iPod will have given up by now - the only reason I can use my 3G properly is because I replaced the battery myself. Many won't bother, especially when the 5Gs are such a big advance over even the 4G, let alone 1-3G.

BRussell
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 17, 2007, 05:36 PM

21 million. They just released their report.

BRussell
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 17, 2007, 05:45 PM

Oddly enough it looks like they sold fewer Macs than in the last quarter.

Forum Links
Forum Rules