Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > The Zune "Social" is going up in flames!

The Zune "Social" is going up in flames!
Jim_MDP
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 21, 2007, 12:29 PM

Out of curiosity, I followed a link to ZuneScene's "Tech Support" forum.

It's insane. A page or more per day (just the support section) and the noob's questions are getting so repetitive they're starting to eat their young.

The software bites, the battery seems iffy, MS Marketplace appears to be a cluster#@% along with other third party content providers. Video conversion with MS's built-in (name?) seems even slower than us using QuickTime, and thats saying a lot. Syncing issues produced this tidbit:

"I am so close to sending this zune to microsoft with antrax all over it. God damn i am getting mad now"

The users seem, on average, quite young and non-technical (so much for most Win users having vaunted L33T skillz) with the most heinous sig pics. Very proud they be. Except one I noticed... the guy's nic and graphic were Zune-centric, but for some reason the Zune pictured was iPod WHITE!

WTF?

ETA: Ah, I now recall there were to be Black, White AND Brown models. Though I can't recall word one about any other than the Browns being sold.
( Last edited by Jim_MDP; Jan 21, 2007 at 12:49 PM. Reason: Senior moment.)

Dark Helmet
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 21, 2007, 04:14 PM

Version 2 will be a huge improvement but they will always be behind Apple no matter what they do.

"She's gone from suck to blow!"

Mr Kino
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 21, 2007, 04:38 PM

what on earth are you doing on ms forums? you exposed yourself, quick go wipe yourself down, before you infect some of us.

sort of off topic, but what ever happened to the origami thing?

Eriamjh
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 21, 2007, 04:45 PM

The iPod forums on Apple's site are not all flowers and perfume either.

I'm a bird. I am the 1% (of pets).

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Jan 21, 2007, 04:51 PM

I have to admit I'm quite surprised to hear this. I didn't realize people were buying the Zune.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jan 21, 2007, 04:51 PM

We need a Zune mockery forum here at 'NN.

-t

Hawkeye_a
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 21, 2007, 04:54 PM

why give it the publicity ? i give Zune 18 months just cause Microsoft has deep pockets....all it will accomplish is to kill off other company's MP3 products....good for Apple in the end.

Ultimately it will come down to the music download service. there will not be enough volume through the Zune store to sustain it's upkeep, forcing microsoft to eventually close it down, and that will only bolster Apple's presence in the market.

mduell
Posting Junkie
Jan 21, 2007, 04:55 PM

Burn baby burn.

Jim_MDP  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 21, 2007, 05:11 PM

Ok, done for a while. I DO feel a bit dirty though. And sore from laughing so much.

This may be hard to put across but...

1) Their members seem young, unruly and punkish. VERY quick to turn. Mods included!

2) Most (not all) of the calmest, most well thought out replies (even in the face of severe flames) seemed to come from the several established Mac/iPod & Zune owners. Go figga.

Now, the fun part... HUGE letter/petition to be sent to Redmond (like that has a chance in hell) of a "wishlist". Damn it but many, many items they want are already on the iPod. Too funny.

And a large helping of FUD floating around over there.

Kerrigan
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 21, 2007, 05:12 PM

I wonder if Zune 2.0 is going to have a different name. I mean, Zune sounds so stupid, I chuckle when I hear it.

Cadaver
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 21, 2007, 10:42 PM

Originally Posted by Kerrigan View Post
I wonder if Zune 2.0 is going to have a different name. I mean, Zune sounds so stupid, I chuckle when I hear it.
Rumor has it they're going to name them Zune mini and Zune nano.

They're even said to have a Zune shuffle in the works... squirts songs at random.


ink
Mac Elite
Jan 21, 2007, 11:10 PM

Originally Posted by turtle777 View Post
We need a Zune mockery forum here at 'NN.
Right next to the HD/Bluray forum

They're even said to have a Zune shuffle in the works... squirts songs at random.

gargamel123
Jan 21, 2007, 11:16 PM

By the time the Zune shuffle comes out viruses will be abundant for the zune. At that point it will squirt viruses at random. MS will spin this as an advantage as it will make the zune more secure since the software will have to be updated constantly.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jan 21, 2007, 11:36 PM

Originally Posted by Cadaver View Post
Muahahahah

WINNAAAARR.

-t

His Dudeness
Mac Elite
Jan 22, 2007, 06:09 AM

Originally Posted by Chuckit View Post
I have to admit I'm quite surprised to hear this. I didn't realize people were buying the Zune.
I know. I saw an article somewhere saying that the Zune is on target for a million sales by June. Can't remember where I saw it, but I did. By June, won't it have been on the market for about 8 months?

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 22, 2007, 11:17 AM

I think M$ can carve out a tiny nitch for themselves. There are a lot of people who hate iPods. Many PC users cannot stand iTunes at all for some bizarre reason.

Also, as someone else has pointed out, the iPod tech support page is also probably filled with stuff like this. Go to an Apple Store on a Saturday afternoon and listen to all the unhappy people bitching at the geniuses with their messed up iPods. I was there a few months ago (with a broken iPod) and it was not a pretty scene.
( Last edited by ort888; Jan 22, 2007 at 11:40 AM. )

My sig is 1 pixel too big.

RAILhead
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 22, 2007, 11:34 AM

What's an iPod?
"Everything's so clear to me now: I'm the keeper of the cheese and you're the lemon merchant. Get it? And he knows it.
That's why he's gonna kill us. So we got to beat it. Yeah. Before he let's loose the marmosets on us."
my band • my web site • my guitar effects • my photos • facebook • brightpoint

Zarqawi's Eye
Baninated
Jan 22, 2007, 01:50 PM

Originally Posted by RAILhead View Post
What's an iPod?

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Jan 22, 2007, 01:53 PM

If I hated the iPod, I'd go with a CREATIVE Zen product, not the Zune.

zerock
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 22, 2007, 02:08 PM

Welcome to the Soci...er yeah

gargamel123
Jan 22, 2007, 04:09 PM

Originally Posted by ort888 View Post
I think M$ can carve out a tiny nitch for themselves. There are a lot of people who hate iPods. Many PC users cannot stand iTunes at all for some bizarre reason.
The reason they hate it is because it works logically. I had someone complaining to me that they couldn't change the registry on a mac a few days ago.

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 22, 2007, 04:17 PM

Yeah, listening to their complaints is always fun. The most common thing I hear is that they hate how it copies everything into it's own folder system and won't let them organize their music like they want.

I always respond that you are supposed to let it do it for you, and that that was the whole point, but they just don't get it.

from what I also hear, is that it can be pretty slow and buggy on Window's machines. Not sure if this is true, or just a symptom of other problems.

My sig is 1 pixel too big.

gargamel123
Jan 22, 2007, 04:20 PM

from what I also hear, is that it can be pretty slow and buggy on Window's machines. Not sure if this is true, or just a symptom of other problems.
It works fine on my windows machine. iTunes does stop the computer dead in its tracks when closing though. The newest version is when this started with the whole saving library thing when it closes. It does the same thing to my mac so that isn't specific to windows.

Hawkeye_a
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 22, 2007, 04:48 PM

Go to an Apple Store on a Saturday afternoon and listen to all the unhappy people bitching at the geniuses with their messed up iPods. I was there a few months ago (with a broken iPod) and it was not a pretty scene.
One of the major reasons why i quit with the Apple store in my area..... there's a manual, a tech support website and a toll free number. Constantly telling people how to reset their iPods get old really fast, thats 50% of em...another 48% dont understand the meaning of a "12 month" warranty, instead they buy the "very first iPod" (which is technically a 3G iPod), and wonder why Apple wont fix it for them for free. Another 1% come in with iPods that they ran over with their SUVs and demand it to be replaced under warranty, and the remaining 1% have legitimate issues with hardware. (+/-1%). Dealing with these people all day is worse than going to the dentist from 9-5.

Gamoe
Mac Elite
Jan 22, 2007, 09:10 PM

Originally Posted by gargamel123 View Post
By the time the Zune shuffle comes out viruses will be abundant for the zune. At that point it will squirt viruses at random. MS will spin this as an advantage as it will make the zune more secure since the software will have to be updated constantly.
LOL, that was great! I think after the Zune, no manufacturer will touch the squirt-related terms for a long time to come.

volcano
Senior User
Jan 22, 2007, 10:02 PM

Originally Posted by zerock View Post
Welcome to the Soci...er yeah

Well, if by "Welcome to the Social" Microsoft meant an angry mob of pissed off customers ranting and raving on a forum... then by golly they've succeeeded!

Oh, and I HATE squirting randomly. So I'll pass on the Zune shuffle.

Forum Links
Forum Rules