Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Predictions for Toyota joining Nascar...

Predictions for Toyota joining Nascar...
centerchannel68
Baninated
Jan 25, 2007, 02:44 PM

I think this is going to be hilarious.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jan 25, 2007, 02:51 PM

All hail TOYODA

Oh, wait, nevermind

-t

residentEvil
Professional Poster
Jan 25, 2007, 02:52 PM

something i have been involved in actually; from the back side of friends that work with dodge and their race teams. i hear about more driver gossip than anything.

they made some pretty good noise on the truck side of things a few years back. i personally don't want them to do well but that is because i'm a dodge fan (and glad they came back too a few years more back).

Rumor
Jan 25, 2007, 02:52 PM

How many foreign car companies race in Nascar currently?
I like my water with hops, malt, hops, yeast, and hops.

residentEvil
Professional Poster
Jan 25, 2007, 02:53 PM

manufactures:

ford, dodge, chevy and now toyota.

pontiac was dropped 3 years ago (at least).

residentEvil
Professional Poster
Jan 25, 2007, 02:54 PM

what will be more interesting is the "car of the future" and what that will bring when it is in use full time by all teams.

centerchannel68  (op)
Baninated
Jan 25, 2007, 02:58 PM

Originally Posted by residentEvil View Post
something i have been involved in actually; from the back side of friends that work with dodge and their race teams. i hear about more driver gossip than anything.

they made some pretty good noise on the truck side of things a few years back. i personally don't want them to do well but that is because i'm a dodge fan (and glad they came back too a few years more back).
I was happy to hear about Dodge's return also, but then got sad when I saw their car.... pretty much the same thing that was already racing, only with intrepid headlight and taillight decals. ****ing lame. This is the REAL dodge nascar vehicle, when dodge didn't mess around:

Not only did it destroy almost all the competition, it was so good it was nudered again and again, until Dodge just said screw it and quit racing, because the fanbase wanted to see Chevy and Ford win more.

I hate nascar. They screw over anybody who does too well, and cater to the largest userbase. Plus the intrepid was about the lamest vehicle dodge has ever offered,a nd they made that their race car. PATHETIC.

centerchannel68  (op)
Baninated
Jan 25, 2007, 02:59 PM

manufactures:

ford, dodge, chevy and now toyota.

pontiac was dropped 3 years ago (at least).
Technically one could argue that Toyota is more of a US manufacturer than GM.

residentEvil
Professional Poster
Jan 25, 2007, 03:04 PM

off topic: ford won't be around much longer in the way it is now: i bet you toyota is going to make a bid to buy ford real damn soon or ford will have to merge with someone. i don't see much longevity of ford.

and all this could be null and void if the government steps in and bails them out; like they have several times with the airline industry.

/offtopic.

metro detroit is really going to be hurting even more soon...

Eug
Clinically Insane
Jan 25, 2007, 03:14 PM

off topic: ford won't be around much longer in the way it is now: i bet you toyota is going to make a bid to buy ford real damn soon or ford will have to merge with someone. i don't see much longevity of ford.

and all this could be null and void if the government steps in and bails them out; like they have several times with the airline industry.

/offtopic.

metro detroit is really going to be hurting even more soon...
Why would Toyota want to buy Ford? I doubt they'd want to deal with Ford's unions (among a bazillion other things).

Originally Posted by turtle777 View Post
All hail TOYODA

Oh, wait, nevermind

-t
I love that story about the woman who sued because her boss gave her a toy Yoda instead of a Toyota after she won a sales contest.

residentEvil
Professional Poster
Jan 25, 2007, 03:14 PM

because of all the plants and resources that would instantly become theirs.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Jan 25, 2007, 03:24 PM

because of all the plants and resources that would instantly become theirs.
Yes, but Ford's style is completely different. They'd totally have to revamp the car designs and totally revamp the plants to make them workable for them, while at the same time dealing with American-style unions.

I don't think Toyota would consider it worth the hassle. I think Toyota would just continue to build new plants as they've been doing. I suppose they could buy a couple of Ford plants too, and hire some ex-Ford workers (off-union), but that's quite a different story than buying Ford itself.

residentEvil
Professional Poster
Jan 25, 2007, 03:32 PM

it wouldn't be that much retooling; car manufactures redo parts of many plants when model changes happen anyway.

besides, both companies have **** for design so retool is needed for all of it

Eug
Clinically Insane
Jan 25, 2007, 03:35 PM

it wouldn't be that much retooling; car manufactures redo parts of many plants when model changes happen anyway.

besides, both companies have **** for design so retool is needed for all of it
If you mean design for aesthetics, I might agree with you. If you're talking about technological design, I would not.

BTW, Toyota builds multiple models of their cars (including the Prius hybrid) on the same assembly lines.

What does Ford do? They used to only have one model of car per assembly line, but I don't know about now.

EDIT:

Did some checking. Ford does have some mixed assembly lines now, but it's nowhere near as widespread as with Toyota, and the ones that do exist do not seem to be as advanced as Toyota's either.

exca1ibur
Mac Elite
Jan 25, 2007, 04:03 PM

Toyota will take a few years to get into the hang there. They aren't new to NASCAR, they have been running Tundras in the truck series for a couple of years now. This is just their first time in the Nextel Series. So far, in testing at Daytona they have run pretty solid. Only thing is they are against more experienced teams so I don't expect miracles just because there it WAY too much competition out there. That and they are all on a new race team. So its an uphill battle but they will be fine over a few years.

Rev-O
Mac Elite
Jan 25, 2007, 08:55 PM

*sigh* Nascar. What a dull form of racing.
Left. Left. Left. Left.
I hope Toyota convincingly wins, but that just means that Nascar will saddle them with restrictions in order to keep races competitive.
Curse your sudden but inevitable betrayal!

sek929
Posting Junkie
Jan 25, 2007, 10:15 PM

Ford sold almost 1 million new F-150s last year.

Toyota couldn't buy them if they wanted.

centerchannel68  (op)
Baninated
Jan 26, 2007, 01:00 AM

Buy who? Toyota will move more tundras than that within 10 years or so, if things don't change drastically.

Rev-O
Mac Elite
Jan 26, 2007, 02:15 AM

Originally Posted by sek929 View Post
Ford sold almost 1 million new F-150s last year.

Toyota couldn't buy them if they wanted.
Wow! Selling almost 1 million new F-150s, coupled with panicked cost cutting measures, restructuring, and rolling out some brand new pos vehicles last year got garnered Ford over 12 billion in losses! Woohoo! And to you critical types, Ford expects to see a profit in 2009! That's only in 2 years away!
Curse your sudden but inevitable betrayal!

volcano
Senior User
Jan 26, 2007, 04:56 AM

Originally Posted by Rev-O View Post
Wow! Selling almost 1 million new F-150s, coupled with panicked cost cutting measures, restructuring, and rolling out some brand new pos vehicles last year got garnered Ford over 12 billion in losses! Woohoo! And to you critical types, Ford expects to see a profit in 2009! That's only in 2 years away!
I was about to say the same thing.

It's their biggest loss in 103 years.

(And for the record, Ford has been around for 103 years.)

Andy8
Mac Elite
Jan 26, 2007, 07:12 AM

Originally Posted by centerchannel68 View Post
I think this is going to be hilarious.
The same type of people said the same thing when they joined F1.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Jan 26, 2007, 08:31 AM

Originally Posted by Rev-O View Post
Yep, Ford will die just like Apple already died like what......15 times already?

sek929
Posting Junkie
Jan 26, 2007, 08:38 AM

Buy who? Toyota will move more tundras than that within 10 years or so, if things don't change drastically.
Which they will, you think a massive company like Ford is just going to lay down and die?

The new Tundra is damn slick, probably better overall than the F-150, but if Ford slims down their current lineup and focuses on what they are good at then I see a resurgence. Just look at Chrysler, they are doing awesome now.

I have no doubt that if Ford doesn't change a thing then the Tundra will overtake the F-150 MAYBE in ten years, but you severely underestimate the folks that buy trucks. They likes what they likes and they rarely change truck brands for no reason, especially changing to a more expensive JAPANESE truck.

centerchannel68  (op)
Baninated
Jan 26, 2007, 11:51 AM

Originally Posted by Andy8 View Post
The same type of people said the same thing when they joined F1.
I mean it a different way. I hate rednecks, nascar, and all that's associated with it. I want toyota to clean house...but unfortunately nascar is so organized that they'll ruin any advantage toyota could possibly come up with.

centerchannel68  (op)
Baninated
Jan 26, 2007, 11:57 AM

Just look at Chrysler, they are doing awesome now.
No they aren't.

http://www.autoblog.com/2006/09/19/c...135-000-units/

http://www.autoblog.com/2006/09/25/c...dont-want-07s/

They made WAY too many vehicles. They have a surplus of a few BILLION dollars of trucks and SUVs that they can't sell. They're going to lose a LOT of money.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Jan 26, 2007, 01:53 PM

Well the SUV is the sole reason American companies continued down the sh!tter anyways.

America does not need another cross-over SUV minivan/truck/etc...

What America needs to do is make an actual bid on hybrids, the fact that GM has one PLANNED for 2009 and Toyota already has the technology perfected at this point worries me further.

The passenger/commuter car is the platform that has lifted Toyota and Honda into superpowers in the auto industry. US automakers need to PAY F**KING ATTENTION!!! Besides the Fusion, I don't think any US automaker has come out with a sedan worth buying for over a decade.

Gossamer
Professional Poster
Jan 26, 2007, 02:01 PM

centerchannel68  (op)
Baninated
Jan 26, 2007, 02:01 PM

Sedan? Hrm.. American sedan.... sheesh. I have no idea. I was going to say the GTO is pretty good...but it's a coupe. Ford? They really don't have anything that interests me in sedan format... nor chrysler... actualy, Dodge used to have the SRT4, which was technically a sedan, and although it was fun and fast, I'm not sure I'd call that interior part of a 'good car'.

centerchannel68  (op)
Baninated
Jan 26, 2007, 02:04 PM

Gossamer: yay! A hybird SUV! It gets a whole 25mpg instead of 19! Yay! Personally I don't see a big difference. Hybrids should be used on small cars instead of lumbaring SUVs, since SUV owners don't care about gas bills anyway.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Jan 26, 2007, 02:04 PM

Exactly, you can't really find a complete sedan that can compete on the world stage, it's very sad really.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Jan 26, 2007, 02:07 PM

Notice also that it's a Toyota Hybrid.

The only US "Hybrid" available is the GMC Sierra 1500 hybrid. Actually the electric generator is more used as a remote power station, and it gets ~1 MPG better than the V8 1500.

Plus, it has gotten nothing but horrible reviews from anyone who has driven it.

The Toyota SUV hybrids on the other hand are as slick and non-intrusive as the hybrid cars.

centerchannel68  (op)
Baninated
Jan 26, 2007, 02:12 PM

In other news, Honda is killing all their hybrids after 2008. They're going diesel baby.

Gossamer
Professional Poster
Jan 26, 2007, 02:12 PM

Performance of the Escape Hybrid is almost indistinguishable from the conventional Ford Escape with the 200hp V-6. The main difference is the Hybrid is capable of an honest 40mpg in stop and go driving and 500 miles between fill ups.
SUV Reviews - 2005 Ford Escape Hybrid Review

As far as sedans go, I like the Fusion. Sure, it's looks like a mish mash of other cars but it's still appealing. The interior is nice enough, 221hp isn't bad, AWD is cool, but the gas mileage isn't where it should be.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Jan 26, 2007, 04:32 PM

They should ditch the AWD, absolutely useless and a gas hog.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Jan 26, 2007, 04:34 PM

In other news, Honda is killing all their hybrids after 2008. They're going diesel baby.
I've always wondered if diesel hybrid technology would be feesable. They use it in locomotives, so you could have a nice efficient diesel running at a constant RPM (best fuel use) powering an electric motor.

Horsepower could be a problem, but a small turbo that could kick in when extra power is needed (like getting on the highway) could solve that.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Jan 26, 2007, 04:37 PM

Originally Posted by Gossamer View Post
SUV Reviews - 2005 Ford Escape Hybrid Review

As far as sedans go, I like the Fusion. Sure, it's looks like a mish mash of other cars but it's still appealing. The interior is nice enough, 221hp isn't bad, AWD is cool, but the gas mileage isn't where it should be.
Oops, missed that one, I HIGHLY doubt it gets 40 MPG, even Toyota's hybrids are known for embellishing the mileage, far more than normal cars to. I forget the figures, but MT reported that most hybrids actual mileage vs estimates were wildly exaggerated compared to conventional engines.

Gossamer
Professional Poster
Jan 26, 2007, 04:43 PM

They should ditch the AWD, absolutely useless and a gas hog.
In normal situations, yes. But I really could have used it the past couple of weeks up here.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Jan 26, 2007, 05:04 PM

They should have it as an option, making a car AWD standard is silly....unless you've already established that you do so, like Subaru.

Person Man
Professional Poster
Jan 26, 2007, 05:31 PM

Uh, no.

They're going to kill the hybrid Accord, because it's not selling well.

They're looking into diesel technology, but they won't be getting rid of all their other hybrids, though.

Rumor
Jan 26, 2007, 05:41 PM

I like my water with hops, malt, hops, yeast, and hops.

Gossamer
Professional Poster
Jan 26, 2007, 06:30 PM

They should have it as an option, making a car AWD standard is silly....unless you've already established that you do so, like Subaru.
It IS an option. You can get an I4, a V6, or a V6 AWD.

PB2K
Mac Elite
Jan 26, 2007, 07:19 PM

i like toyota. they make wonderful cars.
{Animated sigs are not allowed.}

Railroader
Banned
Jan 26, 2007, 07:47 PM

the fact that GM has one PLANNED for 2009 and Toyota already has the technology perfected at this point worries me further.
The only US "Hybrid" available is the GMC Sierra 1500 hybrid. Actually the electric generator is more used as a remote power station, and it gets ~1 MPG better than the V8 1500.
Not true. Saturn Vue Green Line.

centerchannel68  (op)
Baninated
Jan 26, 2007, 09:08 PM

Originally Posted by Person Man View Post
Uh, no.

They're going to kill the hybrid Accord, because it's not selling well.

They're looking into diesel technology, but they won't be getting rid of all their other hybrids, though.
Wnat to bet on that?

Person Man
Professional Poster
Jan 26, 2007, 09:32 PM

Wnat to bet on that?
No, I don't wnat [sic] to.

The Civic Hybrid has been a huge seller. The only reason they even made the Accord Hybrid was to show that they could.

But, with the low sulfur diesel fuels now available, diesel is poised to make a comeback in the US.

We shall see.

On another note, the gas station down the street from my house is advertising the following:

WINTERIZED
BIODIESEL
LUNCH SPECIAL

Hmm... wonder what that tastes like?

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jan 27, 2007, 03:02 PM

Originally Posted by Person Man View Post
On another note, the gas station down the street from my house is advertising the following:

WINTERIZED
BIODIESEL
LUNCH SPECIAL

Hmm... wonder what that tastes like?
This is how it works:

1) Heat frozen ("winterized") meal in microwave
2) Eat
3) Sh!t in your tank
4) Drive

-t

residentEvil
Professional Poster
Jan 27, 2007, 04:45 PM

probably tastes like frozen White Castle (or Krystals for you folks in the south).

Forum Links
Forum Rules