Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > "My PC is better for the environment than your MAC is."

"My PC is better for the environment than your MAC is."
brassplayersrock²
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 30, 2007, 06:21 PM

Facebook | Login

(you need a facebook account to see)

( Last edited by brassplayersrock²; Jan 30, 2007 at 07:45 PM. )

boston_errol
Jan 30, 2007, 06:30 PM

Silly hippies

::maroma::
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 30, 2007, 06:41 PM

I certainly hope the way you typed "MAC" is directly from this Facebook page. If not, you lose.

And I don't have a Facebook account so I guess I miss this gem.

brassplayersrock²  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 30, 2007, 06:43 PM

it is, don't worry, yeesh. btw, ANYONE can join facebook now, they made it public *BOO*

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Jan 30, 2007, 06:47 PM

Originally Posted by brassplayersrock View Post
it is, don't worry, yeesh. btw, ANYONE can join facebook now, they made it public *BOO*
And yet, for some reason, I'm still not jumping to get an account.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

brassplayersrock²  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 30, 2007, 06:55 PM

not asking ya to get an account

Gossamer
Professional Poster
Jan 30, 2007, 06:57 PM

Yeah, there are several groups about this. I thoroughly blasted one of them with info discrediting their FUD.

Peter
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 30, 2007, 07:01 PM

PCs have MACs too... :/
we don't have time to stop for gas

Addicted to MacNN
Jan 30, 2007, 07:02 PM

PC users have lost any semblance of an argument they may have thought they had over OS's. They can no longer argue that Windows beats Mac OS. So now they are going after the hardware. And its not the quality of said hardware, its the environmental impact. This is comical. But not comical enough where I actually laughed.

Gossamer
Professional Poster
Jan 30, 2007, 07:08 PM

Originally Posted by ::maroma:: View Post
PC users have lost any semblance of an argument they may have thought they had over OS's. They can no longer argue that Windows beats Mac OS. So now they are going after the hardware. And its not the quality of said hardware, its the environmental impact. This is comical. But not comical enough where I actually laughed.
It's not PC users, it's a corrupt organization looking for a buck wherever they can get it

hickey
Mac Elite
Jan 30, 2007, 07:17 PM

tell me more. I want to be able to chastise these folks if the opportunity presents itself.

goMac
Posting Junkie
Jan 30, 2007, 07:25 PM

As the story goes, Greenpeace asked Apple for a donation of Macs. Apple turned them down. So Greenpeace in retaliation started this Apple is bad for the environment campaign. Apple is actually one of the greenest computer brands according to the EPA.
8 Core 2.8 ghz Mac Pro/GF8800/2 23" Cinema Displays, 3.06 ghz Macbook Pro
Once you wanted revolution, now you're the institution, how's it feel to be the man?

brassplayersrock²  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 30, 2007, 07:34 PM

should have included the news article link that the club has: AlterNet: EnviroHealth: Apple Computers: Fun for You, Toxic for the Environment
( Last edited by brassplayersrock²; Jan 30, 2007 at 07:44 PM. )

Ganesha
Senior User
Jan 30, 2007, 07:50 PM

Facebook wants your email address and password... Hmmm... Why make it easy for DHS?

brassplayersrock²  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 30, 2007, 07:51 PM

dhs?

Addicted to MacNN
Jan 30, 2007, 07:54 PM

Oh snap its Greenpeace?? That immediately discredits anything and everything related to this argument.

Go to Hell Greenpeace.

Gossamer
Professional Poster
Jan 30, 2007, 07:55 PM

Rumor
Jan 30, 2007, 08:15 PM

Quicktime is toxic?
I like my water with hops, malt, hops, yeast, and hops.

hickey
Mac Elite
Jan 30, 2007, 08:25 PM

sweet. thanks for the links

brassplayersrock²  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 30, 2007, 08:50 PM

thank you for the link Gossamer. posted it on the groups wall

zro
Mac Elite
Jan 30, 2007, 09:03 PM

Originally Posted by ::maroma:: View Post
I certainly hope the way you typed "MAC" is directly from this Facebook page. If not, you lose.
Newegg - Get Into the Apple Lifestyle at Newegg.com! - IPod ( Recertified )

Not only do they spell it "MAC" and "IPod" they use the old rainbow logo. It's not like that elsewhere on their site, though...

Kerrigan
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 30, 2007, 09:11 PM

"Green" activists are nothing more than puritanical ideologues who want to make life dour for the rest of us. If you want to clean up the environment, start pressuring third world countries like India or China to bring their regulations into line with the West. Avoiding a vacation or purchasing a PC is not going to save the climate.

gradient
Mac Elite
Jan 31, 2007, 12:18 AM

Originally Posted by Kerrigan View Post
"Green" activists are nothing more than puritanical ideologues who want to make life dour for the rest of us. If you want to clean up the environment, start pressuring third world countries like India or China to bring their regulations into line with the West. Avoiding a vacation or purchasing a PC is not going to save the climate.
Every step, no matter how small, helps. Anyone who claims to care about the environment but criticizes people for promoting a "green" ideology is lying. If people want to maintain a content western lifestyle then they are free to do so but they should be honest with themselves and everybody else about the implications.

volcano
Senior User
Jan 31, 2007, 03:32 AM

The group only has 10 members, so I'm not phased by it at all. There's a facebook group for EVERYTHING... so there's no point in fighting it. Hell, I even joined a facebook group last semester that deemed October 3 "Get Drunk and go to Class" day. And I'm happy to report that most of my friends in my classes did and were smashed and trashed during class that day.... so as you can clearly see, facebook groups DO serve a meaningful purpose! =)

OwlBoy
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 31, 2007, 09:44 AM

Originally Posted by Peter View Post
PCs have MACs too... :/
lol

-Owl

Dakar²
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 31, 2007, 09:49 AM

Originally Posted by Chuckit View Post
And yet, for some reason, I'm still not jumping to get an account.
ACL injury?

ghporter
Administrator
Jan 31, 2007, 10:21 AM

Isn't it interesting how individuals (can't really call them "people") can distort, selectively use facts, and otherwise dissemble so that they can feel good about "doing something" when they're just sitting there calling people names? The FULL issue is that while we (the computer using public) do have a bunch of hardware that includes toxins, the industry has been reducing the amount of toxins used and released in computer manufacturing for years. That includes ALL the players. The more radical "environmental evangelists" would have us completely dump ALL existing hardware for entirely earth friendly, biodegradable, low energy consumption machines (which, by the way, don't exist) NOW, and damn the cost or disruption in everything. They conveniently forget that some of that hardware provides the power to make their lates, ship their organic veggie patties, and warm their expensively decorated organic homes. Dumb.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Addicted to MacNN
Jan 31, 2007, 12:44 PM

Originally Posted by ghporter View Post
Isn't it interesting how individuals (can't really call them "people") can distort, selectively use facts, and otherwise dissemble so that they can feel good about "doing something" when they're just sitting there calling people names? The FULL issue is that while we (the computer using public) do have a bunch of hardware that includes toxins, the industry has been reducing the amount of toxins used and released in computer manufacturing for years. That includes ALL the players. The more radical "environmental evangelists" would have us completely dump ALL existing hardware for entirely earth friendly, biodegradable, low energy consumption machines (which, by the way, don't exist) NOW, and damn the cost or disruption in everything. They conveniently forget that some of that hardware provides the power to make their lates, ship their organic veggie patties, and warm their expensively decorated organic homes. Dumb.
I agree. This is why I despise Greenpeace for most of their practices. I've seen them distort facts and flat out make stuff up just to get press time. Its like they are all sitting around, bored off their asses, so they choose whoever is in the news at the time and tries to make a case around them.

I love anyone who tries to legitimately improve our natural environment. Its a noble cause for sure, and must be done. But people like this give true environmentalists a bad name.

Forum Links
Forum Rules