Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Yet Again: The Top-10 Album Lists

Yet Again: The Top-10 Album Lists (Page 2)
zro
Mac Elite
Feb 5, 2007, 12:16 AM

Originally Posted by shifuimam View Post
Forunately, the size of my penis is no longer compromised when someone on the internet disapproves of my musical repertoire. I suppose I'm one of the few who chooses their music based on what they actually like listening to or enjoy singing along to, rather than what best fits into their chosen subculture.
You probably shouldn't have asked for it, instead.

Let's face it, my list kicks all your lists asses. Combined.
( Last edited by zro; Feb 5, 2007 at 12:17 AM. Reason: page 2)

kmkkid
Professional Poster
Feb 5, 2007, 12:16 AM

Ahaha I probably should have listed Death Cab for Cutie, The White Stripes, The Strokes, Modest Mouse...let's see. Who else is a cliche poster boy for the tight corduroy pants crowd?

Forunately, the size of my penis is no longer compromised when someone on the internet disapproves of my musical repertoire. I suppose I'm one of the few who chooses their music based on what they actually like listening to or enjoy singing along to, rather than what best fits into their chosen subculture.

And once again for the OP and his legion of music critics: I listen to a wide range of music, spanning over many decades - However you asked for my Top Ten, which is what I provided. What can I say, I liked 90's Alternative overall. *shrug*. Who are any of you to criticize other peoples taste in music anyways?

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Feb 5, 2007, 12:30 AM

Ahaha I probably should have listed Death Cab for Cutie, The White Stripes, The Strokes, Modest Mouse...let's see. Who else is a cliche poster boy for the tight corduroy pants crowd?
Once you grow up you learn to separate music from fans. Detach yourself from your preconceived notions of "who-listens-to-what" and you might discover some good music out there.

[ fb ] [ flickr ] [] [scl] [ last ] [ plaxo ]

shifuimam
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 5, 2007, 12:39 AM

Originally Posted by - - e r i k - - View Post
Once you grow up you learn to separate music from fans. Detach yourself from your preconceived notions of "who-listens-to-what" and you might discover some good music out there.
What makes you think I haven't? I don't think groups like Queen and the Foo Fighters could really be considered anything but good music. Queen is classic, and seeing the Foo Fighters live was one of the best experiences of my life. Badly Drawn Boy is, IMO, pretty dang talented, when you hear the range of styles he can convey in a single album.

Someone posted about songs that make you feel things. I've got to tell you, The Colour and the Shape and There Is Nothing Left to Lose are filled with songs that fill me with a range of emotions.

I'm not into the emo subculture, but I still like Dashboard Confessional once in awhile. I'm not into the punk subculture, but I have several punk artists on my iPod and still listen to them. I'm not at all into the bubblegum pop subculture, but I will be the first to tell you I absolutely enjoy Lindsay Lohan's first album.

While there is classical music that most can agree is aural genius, most music in the last 100 years doesn't quite fit that description. There's music that I enjoy singing along to in my car or in the shower. There's music that makes me feel deep emotions. There's music that I just flat-out enjoy in the background during my day-to-day activities. Whether or not anyone else can say the same about that particular music is a moot point.

Music is meant to be enjoyed. If I enjoy it, then hasn't the artist accomplished what they were out to accomplish? When you turn musical preferences into a competition, you lose the beauty of the music, and then there's just no point to it except to be able to smile to yourself and say "pwned".
Sell or send me your vintage Mac things if you don't want them.

ShortcutToMoncton  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 5, 2007, 12:57 AM

I can't stand Death Cab; far too much teenage emo for me. Same with Dashboard Confessional. The Foo Fighters have unfortunately grown to be a mediocre, uninspired, lifeless band cranking out equally stale music...There Is Nothing Left To Lose was their last decent album, and even it had shitty songs on it (although, IMO, Aurora may be the best song Dave has ever written). I truly believe Dave has gotten too comfortable...I wish his girlfriend or Taylor Hawkins or somebody would just up and kill themselves, and he can be miserable and unhappy and go back to making good music. [/sarcasm]

I listen to everything, as long as its real and doesn't try too hard. I love music. But I think about my music...it isn't just playing so I can mindlessly sing along or do my work. I can't even study or read with music on; I just end up listening to it instead. I analyze what I'm listening to, and why its good or shitty, and why I love it or hate it or feel neutral towards it, and why it should be included on my top-10 list or cut immediately.

I don't think there's anything at all wrong with being critical of music. I do the same when I read, or when I look at art, or when I watch a hockey or soccer game, or when I see myself snowboarding. Analyze. Turn down the suck.

That's why I am able to claim Toxic is one of the best pop songs in modern history...but that's another entirely different story.

greg
Mankind's only chance is to harness the power of stupid.

shifuimam
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 5, 2007, 01:15 AM

Originally Posted by ShortcutToMoncton View Post
The Foo Fighters have unfortunately grown to be a mediocre, uninspired, lifeless band cranking out equally stale music...There Is Nothing Left To Lose was their last decent album, and even it had shitty songs on it (although, IMO, Aurora may be the best song Dave has ever written).
Oh, I agree completely. In Your Honor sucked ass. I was really appalled, because I had grown to love Nothing Left and Colour/Shape so much. The former definitely doesn't have as good a lineup as the latter, but Aurora and Learn To Fly are really A+.

I don't think there's anything at all wrong with being critical of music. I do the same when I read, or when I look at art, or when I watch a hockey or soccer game, or when I see myself snowboarding. Analyze. Turn down the suck.
You can be critical of music for your own preference without criticizing someone else because of their choices. Telling someone to "expand their horizons" or "be more open-minded" by listening to what you approve of is unnecessary. They could flip that and pretty much tell you to do the same.

I'm glad we could agree on something. I was afraid this would turn into a "neener neener neener" kind of thread and I'd just take out my posts to stop the idiocy.

And "Toxic" is damn catchy.

Cipher13
Feb 5, 2007, 01:39 AM

Originally Posted by imitchellg5 View Post
In no order:
Fergalicious, by Fergie ( I don't know why)
You know, I heard this song for the first time just yesterday. It was playing on a television in the pub so loudly one could not ignore it.

Honestly, I think I could rate it the worst song of all time without any hesitation (though apologies to all the gangsta rappers that just got knocked off that particular shared pedestal).

And she looks like a man.

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Feb 5, 2007, 01:49 AM

Music is meant to be enjoyed. If I enjoy it, then hasn't the artist accomplished what they were out to accomplish? When you turn musical preferences into a competition, you lose the beauty of the music, and then there's just no point to it except to be able to smile to yourself and say "pwned".
Which was exactly my point. Shame you didn't say that in the post I replied to though.

[ fb ] [ flickr ] [] [scl] [ last ] [ plaxo ]

Tiresias
Feb 5, 2007, 02:15 AM

Brian Eno - Music for Films
Radiohead - Hail to the Thief
Thom Yorke - The Eraser
Leonard Cohen - Songs from a Room
Bob Dylan - Infidels
Nirvana - In Utero
Bjork - Vespertine
Eminem - The Eminem Show
Lead Belly - (Any compilation)
Pavement - Terror Twilight

volcano
Senior User
Feb 5, 2007, 02:25 AM

Originally Posted by Cipher13 View Post
You know, I heard this song for the first time just yesterday. It was playing on a television in the pub so loudly one could not ignore it.

Honestly, I think I could rate it the worst song of all time without any hesitation (though apologies to all the gangsta rappers that just got knocked off that particular shared pedestal).

And she looks like a man.
But she be up in the gym just workin' on her fitness! You're her witness! OMG!

I've come to enjoy mindless pop music these days. It takes me away from the depths of the stuff I typically listen to, and encompassing your life in "dark" melancholic music just makes you a cynical, half-glass-empty type of individual. This would explain why I suddenly went from Thursday/Cursive/Saves the Day/Dashboard Confessional after enjoying them for years to Gwen Stefani/Nelly Furtado/Fergie/Black Eyed Peas. My poor mind needed the release. I feel better now.

I'll be honest, most (if not all) of Fergie's songs are completely ridiculous when you start listening to the lyrics. But before you know it you're singing along, having a great time, and your mood goes up. That's why I listen to it. I don't look for depth, I don't look for subliminal messages, I don't listen for anything below the surface: I just want something to jam out to in my boring car ride to work/school. I don't mind being stuck in traffic for an hour as long as I have a good beat/tune to keep me singing and highly entertained.

And calling Death Cab for Cutie "emo" is like saying The Beatles were a death metal band. Ben Gibbard is one of the most down to earth guys in the industry, and he doesn't wear enough black or even wear black eyeliner, nor does he sing about how much his life sucks on a regular basis. His songs are true to form, and they all exude a message that can be universal and work for many situations. I realize to many it's an acquired taste -- but that can be true for many, many artists/bands. Think about Bright Eyes: most people I introduced to Conor Oberst hated his voice at first and couldn't stand it. But there's something raw and innocent that occurs when he sings, and it takes a while for that magic to sink in. Then the light bulb suddenly turns on and you can't stop listening because there's always a story behind every song.

I used to be so embarassed that I had started listening to the Black Eyed Peas and Gwen Stefani that I would actually change the mp3 info in iTunes and "hide" them by using a different artists/bands name. Ridiculous I know. Nowadays I don't give a damn. If I like it, I'm going to listen to it. Period.

ShortcutToMoncton  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 5, 2007, 02:28 AM

I suppose I'm one of the few who chooses their music based on what they actually like listening to or enjoy singing along to, rather than what best fits into their chosen subculture.
This just grated on me when I read it again. No, you are not a unique snowflake. You are not "one of the few." There is no subculture that defines many music lovers' music (including my own)...unless you want to talk about the rock/hip-hop divide. A quick check of my last 10 albums played include The Hold Steady, The Byrds, The Flying Burrito Brothers, Calexico, Boris, The Weakerthans, Califone, TV On the Radio and Clipse. If there's a subculture in there somewhere you can identify, you've got my respect.

In fact, if I may say so myself, your top-10 list is one of the few on here that pretty much pegs you into a "subculture."

greg
Mankind's only chance is to harness the power of stupid.

shifuimam
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 5, 2007, 10:48 AM

Originally Posted by ShortcutToMoncton View Post
In fact, if I may say so myself, your top-10 list is one of the few on here that pretty much pegs you into a "subculture."
No kidding. I never would really put Blink182, Foo Fighters, Lindsay Lohan, and Badly Drawn Boy into the same pot.

I'll try to mix it up next time to garner more approval from the internets.

TomR
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 5, 2007, 02:25 PM

Man I feel old (48)!

No particular order (off the top of my head):

Zappa - Joe's garage
Zappa - Shiek yer bootie
The Good Rats - Live at last
Kiss - Alive!
ELP - Welcome back my friends to the show that never ends
Ted Nugent - Double live Gonzo
Led Zep - II