Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > increase the speed in ibooks..

increase the speed in ibooks..
CandyMaffia
Forum Regular
Nov 12, 2002, 12:00 PM

how do you increase the speed in the ibook?? i have heard that people succeed to increase the speed with 100mhz..do you need a program that changes the speed of the processor, or what??
imac g5 20" isight ed. user with ipod shuffle, ibook g3 700mhz, nokia 6680, canon cp3200

appledude83
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 12, 2002, 08:34 PM

Well I'm not exactly certain but I think it's a little harder than a software program. I've seen some threads about overclocking your iBook, I think that's what you mean. This requires opening up and taking about your iBook, which with a laptop is not something for just anybody to do. Make sure you know what you're doing. Look around on these boards, somewhere there is a link to a site that shows you how to do it with pictures and is very detailed, that would be your best bet I think.

iBook 800/640MB/30GB

ryju
Professional Poster
Nov 12, 2002, 08:47 PM

Keep in mind that doing this will void whatever warranty you have. And unless you are super good then you might end of messing up your iBook, and I would cry if that happened. i didn't know there was a crying smily, cool!

klinux
Senior User
Nov 12, 2002, 09:08 PM

CandyMafia is talking about the CHUD tool. Does anybody still have it? I'd like to try it out.

robguz
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 14, 2002, 01:03 AM

Originally posted by klinux:
CandyMafia is talking about the CHUD tool. Does anybody still have it? I'd like to try it out.
From what i read on xlr8yourmac.com I think, the CHUD tool was updated last summer and the new version removes the ability to overclock it. You'd have to get your hands on the old version and I have no idea how to. Also, it seemed like something that needed to be invoked at each restart, so even if it couldn't take the overclock, a reboot would set it back to the default speed so no hard done. Also, there's no way Apple could tell that it had been overclocked. I've overclocked every CPU upgrade I had on my old 7500 and they all ran fine, especially the G3 220 that ran at 308MHz perfectly. Imagine overclocking 800Mhz by 50%! If only...

JoNoiD
Forum Regular
Nov 14, 2002, 01:12 AM

The usual way of overclocking the machine is ripping it apart and soldering stuff together. There are tutorials around (such as at xlr8yourmac.com).

What is the URL for the CHUD tool?

Forum Links
Forum Rules