Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Software Basestation in Panther?

Software Basestation in Panther?
craigthomas
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 29, 2003, 07:03 PM

Is there still a software basestation. I need to extend the range of a graphite base station using a G4 tower to my TiBook. See a graphic Diagaram of what I'm trying to achieve.

gorickey
Posting Junkie
Dec 29, 2003, 07:05 PM

Sure, you need to enable Internet Sharing...

System Preferences > Sharing > Internet > Turn Internet Sharing-On

craigthomas  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 29, 2003, 07:20 PM

Tried that. I get this message:

"You cannot start Internet sharing because there are no ports available tove which to share your connection. Choose a different connection to share or turn on another port using Network preferences."

Is there a port i need to open?

gorickey
Posting Junkie
Dec 29, 2003, 07:22 PM

Are you trying to share your Built-In Ethernet connection to Airport equipped computers?

You have an Airport card in your G4 Tower, right?

RevEvs
Mac Elite
Dec 29, 2003, 07:39 PM

Hmmmm i take it you are receiving from the base station via airport and also trying to be a SW base station to the powerbook via the airport also.

I dont think you can receive via airport and have that airport card be a SW basestation at the same time.

If you connected the Tower to the base station via ethernet and then the tower as a SW Basestation would work i think.

revs
I free'd my mind... now it won't come back.

craigthomas  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 29, 2003, 10:42 PM

That's right revs, a G4 desktop is receiving Airport signal from a base station and I'm trying to send as a s/w base station as well to my ill-powered Airport receiving TiBook. Seems like there's no way to do that. If you look at my diagram, you will see what I'm trying to do.

Originally posted by RevEvs:
Hmmmm i take it you are receiving from the base station via airport and also trying to be a SW base station to the powerbook via the airport also.
I dont think you can receive via airport and have that airport card be a SW basestation at the same time.

If you connected the Tower to the base station via ethernet and then the tower as a SW Basestation would work i think.

revs

craigthomas  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 29, 2003, 11:26 PM

No, I know I can share via Ethernet. I want to share my Aiport. Basically Airport in and AirPort out.

Originally posted by RevEvs:

revs

ddiokno
Mac Elite
Dec 30, 2003, 02:12 AM

Unfortunately, to do what you want, you would need to add a pci wireless card, or a usb wireless card. From there, you would be able to select either wireless card or the airport card to connect to the airport base station, and the other wireless card to share the connection.
Good luck,
David

craigthomas  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 30, 2003, 08:04 AM

David, do you have a real world experience with this example? I would go the direction you mentioned easily if you or someone can tell me for sure it will work. And any recommendation on a PCI card that doesn't require a driver?

Originally posted by ddiokno:
Unfortunately, to do what you want, you would need to add a pci wireless card, or a usb wireless card. From there, you would be able to select either wireless card or the airport card to connect to the airport base station, and the other wireless card to share the connection.
Good luck,
David

ddiokno
Mac Elite
Dec 30, 2003, 08:24 AM

Hi Craig,
In theory, it should work.. i haven't tried it with two wireless cards, but have with two Ethernet cards (weird circumstances, but it did work). I am currently on vacation, but will be home Sunday and can try it on one of my iMacs. (It has an airport card, and I have an extra Belkin USB wireless adapter). If you can wait, I can get back to this thread the beginning of next week.
-----
unfortunatel, I don't know of any PCI wireless cards that don't require drivers...

regards,
david

ddiokno
Mac Elite
Dec 30, 2003, 08:50 AM

Craig,
Another inexpensive option would be to turn on internet sharing (select share connection from airport to ethernet). Buy an inexpensive wireless router (you can find them anywhere from $9.99 to $29.99 after rebates) and plug that in to the ethernet port and then use it to reroute the wireless signal.
just another thought...
david

craigthomas  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 30, 2003, 02:27 PM

Hi David, I appreciate your feedback and all seem like good ideas. I especially like the less costly router idea, but I wonder how the router would communicate with the base station. Thoughts?
Craig

Craig,
Another inexpensive option would be to turn on internet sharing (select share connection from airport to ethernet). Buy an inexpensive wireless router (you can find them anywhere from $9.99 to $29.99 after rebates) and plug that in to the ethernet port and then use it to reroute the wireless signal.
just another thought...
david

Synotic
Mac Elite
Dec 30, 2003, 05:56 PM

Craig,
just another thought...
david
Sorry to intrude on a thread but... are there reliability issues with inexpensive routers? I want to get a wireless router (either LinkSys or NetGear) but if I can get one significantly cheaper with no noticeable difference I will. Hopefully this will be helpful to you to craig

craigthomas  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 30, 2003, 11:16 PM

I went a bought a D-Link Wireless Router today and gave it a try. I couldn't get it to work. The setup wants it to connect to a DSL or Cable modem, and there is no set-up for using it just as a DHCP repeater. Basically it doesn't use the Inertnet that comes from Internet Sharing over Ethernet. D-Link does make repeaters that work with their own routers, and will in the futrue will work with other brands. I'll go to Macworld and see what I can find out.

Thanks for all the help!

ddiokno
Mac Elite
Dec 31, 2003, 12:03 AM

Originally posted by craigthomas:
I went a bought a D-Link Wireless Router today and gave it a try. I couldn't get it to work. The setup wants it to connect to a DSL or Cable modem, and there is no set-up for using it just as a DHCP repeater. Basically it doesn't use the Inertnet that comes from Internet Sharing over Ethernet. D-Link does make repeaters that work with their own routers, and will in the futrue will work with other brands. I'll go to Macworld and see what I can find out.

Thanks for all the help!
Hi Craig,
Hmmm... that's odd... I'll try it when I get home, but it's odd that it doesn't work. Most cable and dsl modems deal out dhcp, so that seeting should work between the routher and your mac (because internet sharring uses dhcp).
Good luck, and hopefully we can come up with a good solution.
Warmest regards,
david

ddiokno
Mac Elite
Dec 31, 2003, 12:07 AM

Craig,
Another thing you might try is (under the advanced set-up) giving the d-link a static IP address in the range of 10.0.2.2 to 10.0.2.55 (with the router being 10.0.2.1, and the subnet mask 255.255.255.0) which is what internet sharing uses.
again, best of luck!
David

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Dec 31, 2003, 09:42 AM

Originally posted by craigthomas:

Thanks for all the help!
It would be helpful to know how you've set things up, because I don't quite understand what you mean by the "Internet that comes from Internet Sharing over Ethernet." Are you connecting an ethernet cable from your desktop to the wireless router and trying to use Internet Sharing between the two? That would be a strained setup indeed-if one could make it work-because you would be going from wireless to wireless to wired and finally back to wireless.

Okay, let's take it from the top. According to your diagram (which is nice, btw), your TiBook isn't receiving the WIFI signal while your tower, which is in the same general location, is. Have you verified the PB's Airport card is functional by bringing it right next to the base station? In any case, you wouldn't be able to receive airport and share airport with the same card. Before hubs and routers became inexpensive, people used to buy second ethernet cards for their lans. As another poster said, you would need another wireless card, which would be messy. Sharing is saying there are no ports because you likely have turned off built-in Ethernet. I am connected through Airport; in my Internet Sharing pane, it says the connection will be shared with those computers connected to my Built-In Ethernet.

The addition of the wireless router doesn't improve your situation unless you can figure out how to get it to act as a repeater. While it may be possible, such a configuration probably only works using access points from the same company. I apologize for stating what you probably already know.
( Last edited by Big Mac; Dec 31, 2003 at 09:48 AM. )

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

craigthomas  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 31, 2003, 11:59 AM

Great, I haven't returned it yet and I'll give that a try.

Craig,
Another thing you might try is (under the advanced set-up) giving the d-link a static IP address in the range of 10.0.2.2 to 10.0.2.55 (with the router being 10.0.2.1, and the subnet mask 255.255.255.0) which is what internet sharing uses.
again, best of luck!
David

craigthomas  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 31, 2003, 02:30 PM

Hi Big Mac,

Yes, I was trying to connect the wireless router to the Ethernet jack of the G4 and use Internet Sharing via Ethernet from that machine. If i connect the Ethernet cable directly to the powerbook, and use ethernet in the port options, DHCP is the way it connects to the Internet. However, if I connect the ethernet from the desktop G4 to the wireless router, I can make a wireless connection to the router, but there is no Internet access. There's a ton of settings in the router setup, but all seem to be made for connecting to directly to a signal from a DSL/Cable modem. I use PPPoE in my AirPort config and know that I cannot use the PPPoE settings again in the router. It may be that I just don't know how to use the advanced settings properly. I still have to try Davids suggestion in the Advanced settings. Also, I typically get 2 bars of recetption from my TiBook, but occasionally i get none. Some sort of interference or someting, but the Airport card works fine (just that the TiBook has the worst reception out of all machines ever built with 802.11).

Again, I appreciate everyones help! Happy New Year.

Originally posted by Big Mac:
It would be helpful to know how you've set things up, because I don't quite understand what you mean by the "Internet that comes from Internet Sharing over Ethernet." Are you connecting an ethernet cable from your desktop to the wireless router and trying to use Internet Sharing between the two? That would be a strained setup indeed-if one could make it work-because you would be going from wireless to wireless to wired and finally back to wireless.

Okay, let's take it from the top. According to your diagram (which is nice, btw), your TiBook isn't receiving the WIFI signal while your tower, which is in the same general location, is. Have you verified the PB's Airport card is functional by bringing it right next to the base station? In any case, you wouldn't be able to receive airport and share airport with the same card. Before hubs and routers became inexpensive, people used to buy second ethernet cards for their lans. As another poster said, you would need another wireless card, which would be messy. Sharing is saying there are no ports because you likely have turned off built-in Ethernet. I am connected through Airport; in my Internet Sharing pane, it says the connection will be shared with those computers connected to my Built-In Ethernet.

The addition of the wireless router doesn't improve your situation unless you can figure out how to get it to act as a repeater. While it may be possible, such a configuration probably only works using access points from the same company. I apologize for stating what you probably already know.

Forum Links
Forum Rules