Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > Help, please - iPod not recognized after 10.4.4

Help, please - iPod not recognized after 10.4.4
Jupeman
Jan 12, 2006, 07:39 AM

I upgraded to 10.4.4 last night and to the new iTunes. After the upgrade my Mac does not recognize my 3rd Gen iPod. It does not appear in the Finder or iTunes. I cannot, therefore, apply the iPod Updater script (not to mention that I can't sync, etc).

Any thoughts?

I've tried rebooting the iPod, rebooting my Mac, using different cables, but nothing works.
Lots of Macs in the house...
Mac owner since 1985

rkv
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 15, 2006, 02:36 PM

I'm having a similar problem. I too recently loaded 10.4.4 and the new iTunes although I had not mounted my iPod in a while so I am not sure that is the cause.

When I attach my Gen 2 iPod via firewire it thinks it is an improperly formatted drive. Disk Utility can see it.

Additionally, iPod updater can see it. I've done both an update and a Restore. Neither of these resulted in my iPod being visible to iTunes or the Finder.

Anyone else seeing this? Any suggestions?

Podolsky
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 15, 2006, 09:40 PM

If your iPod battery is really low you sometimes need to leave it connected/charging for a while before Finder/iTunes picks it up. This is especially true if you have a lot of USB devices competing for resources. Try unhooking as many USBs as you can and put the iPod in a USB on the computer itself and give it half hour of charging.

Podolsky
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 15, 2006, 09:43 PM

Try leaving your iPod connected/charging for a while before you give up. If your battery is real low it can take a while for Finder/iTunes to recognize it. If you have a lot of USB devices try disconnecting them and connect the iPod to a USB on the computer rather than the keyboard or the monitor. It took my iPod about a half hour of charging before it showed up....

rkv
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 20, 2006, 11:09 AM

In my case it is not a charging problem. I've left it on its firewire connector for days, and it will stay on in Disk Mode for hours.

Basically, matters degenerated in that while it was not recognized by iTunes or Finder it would play music and otherwise work. However, after repeated tries at mounting it I probably messed something up, in that it now only displays the folder with exclamation point iCon. I've tried resetting it. I've even tried switching it to disk mode, which it appears to do correctly. While in disk mode I try to run iPodUpdater and it will only allow a reset which then fails because the disk is not recognized. I've also tried DiskUtility to format the disk without any luck.

Is there some magic really hard reset which puts it into a mode of simply wanting to reload it's software. It does not appear that the Play + Menu reset does this nor putting it in Disk Mode.

I've seen some postings which indicate one should hit the unit because the disk is stuck. I hear the disk head moving and don't believe that is the issue. I believe my problem is a software problem.

I'm on the verge of buying a new iPod. My 2nd Gen is a little dated and relatively big. However, even if I buy a new one, I would still like to use this.

hrubin1000
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 20, 2006, 04:55 PM

I've got a similar problem with my 1st generation iPod. After updating my iMac G5 to OS 10.4.4 and iTunes 6.0.2, it mounts for a few seconds then unmounts, then mounts, then unmounts, etc. I hooked it up to my G4 desktop running iTunes 5 and OS 10.3.9 and ran the new iPod updater and while the iPod continues to run reliably on the OS 10.3.9 G4, it still will not run reliably on the 10.4.4 iMac G5.

hrubin1000
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 21, 2006, 12:47 PM

I did a restore from the updater menu on my G4 (10.3.9) and now the unit works with my iMac G5 (10.4.4). Of course, I had to reload all my music onto the iPod.

willed
Professional Poster
Mar 1, 2006, 08:06 PM

I'm having similar probs with a 3G iPod and the latest OS upgrade - there must be a bug in the System software. Send feedback to Apple.
My iPod displays the 'do not disconnect' icon like it's in disk mode, but nothing appears in the Finder/iTunes. Frustrating.

rkv
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 1, 2006, 08:18 PM

I would advise you to be very careful about disconnecting your iPod when in this mode. I was having the problem and simply unplugged it. After many attempts I completely hosed my iPod. Apple's probably happy that this resulted in my buying a new iPod Video. However, I'm still planning on sending my 2nd Gen iPod off to ipodresq.com to see if they can revive it rather than tossing it.

My recommendation would be to power down the computer to which the iPod is attached before physically unplugging it. I'll do a final post if I ever get it revived. Good luck.

willed
Professional Poster
Mar 2, 2006, 04:12 AM

I'm going to restore OSX 10.4 on my Mac to make sure that it's the OS that is the problem. I'll let you know how it goes.

Forum Links
Forum Rules