Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > When is a disk full and what can one do?

When is a disk full and what can one do?
Podolsky
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 17, 2006, 05:57 PM

My PowerBook 80 GB drive has 5.6 GB available. Is this enough for OSX? How much "room" do I have left if any? I have dumped so old large files and backed everything up...... And while I would love a larger HD I haven't really looked into swapping out the 80 for what a 100 or 120 GB? Not exactly sure what my question is but I welcome any answers!!!

mduell
Posting Junkie
Mar 17, 2006, 06:06 PM

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Mar 17, 2006, 06:21 PM

And you're going to install them free of charge in our iBooks and PowerBooks? Where do we sign up?

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

rjenkinson
Professional Poster
Mar 17, 2006, 06:42 PM

you can also look into removing the localization files for languages you don't actually use. one of these programs will do it for you: monolingual, language cleaner or delocalizer.

another way to regain space on your hard drive is to remove the printer drivers for printers you don't use.

-r.

OreoCookie
Mar 17, 2006, 06:49 PM

It is enough. I currently have also just 3-6 GB available. Things can get a bit tight if you have less than 1 GB of space available.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

himself
Mac Elite
Mar 17, 2006, 07:38 PM

Originally Posted by OreoCookie
It is enough. I currently have also just 3-6 GB available. Things can get a bit tight if you have less than 1 GB of space available.
I have observed, anecdotally, that you need around twice as much free disk space as RAM, with a 1GB free disk space minimum. So, if you have 512MB of ram or less, you need at least 1GB of disk space free (probably more if you have less that 512MB ram)... if you have 2GB of ram, you need at least 4GB of disk space. I guess this really only applies if you are hitting VM a lot.

Also, try whatsize out to find what files are taking up the most disk space.
"Bill Gates can't guarantee Windows... how can you guarantee my safety?"
-John Crichton

Podolsky  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 19, 2006, 03:11 PM

Thanks to all who chimed in. I would love a 160 in my 17 incher. If I had that, I wouldn't need another computer for years! I use my 17" with a 23" monitor and it works great for me right now. I want to wait till MacTels have been out and revised for at least 12-18 months before upgrading.

Thank you

Forum Links
Forum Rules