Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > Network Time Error on iMac 350

Network Time Error on iMac 350
furbawl
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 16, 2002, 05:49 PM

This has probably been covered in past topics (I just can't seem to find a relevant one...soooo many topics!!) but I do have a minor "problem" every time I start up. Using OS 9.2.2 (recently installed) by the way.

Basically, I get an annoying window seconds after the desktop icons and control strip pop-up.

"Network Time Error.
Your macintosh's clock is set to a year before 1973.
This may cause certain applications to behave erratically.
Please use the Date & Time control panel to set the clock automatically."

Well, I have adjusted the clock several times, rebooted to find that damn Network Time Error window flipping me the bird. The clock, too, also resets to Midnight.

It hasn't, yet, caused programs to "behave erratically" (my Toast app fails to recognize my plugged-in USB CD-RW drive, yet Silverlining Pro says it's there...however, I doubt this has anything to do with the clock...or maybe it does). The Network Time Error window is getting on my nerves.

A little help?

sek929
Posting Junkie
Feb 16, 2002, 06:44 PM

Try deleting Date and Time preference file in the preferences folder.....see if that helps. Even try zapping the pram after deleting the file (holding down p+r+alt+apple).

Cipher13
Feb 16, 2002, 09:13 PM

Delete the "Time Synchroniser" extension or whatever its called.

It's quite useless.

Also, reset the clock then zap your PRAM, as above.

posthumanus
Senior User
Feb 17, 2002, 01:29 AM

hi furbawl:

other than the above probs, how did your install go?

hope whatever advice i could offer worked (not having dealt with 9.2.2 before).

posthumanus.

JoNoiD
Forum Regular
Feb 17, 2002, 01:57 AM

if none of the above solutions work, then it could be your pram battery. it is highly unlikely that it would run out that quickly (couple years) but it could have been defective battery. replace it and see what happens (only if above solutions do not work).

furbawl  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 17, 2002, 02:37 AM

Originally posted by posthumanus:
[QB]hi furbawl:

other than the above probs, how did your install go?[QB]
Sorry I didn't send you an email after installation (as promised). Yeah, the install went as expected...flawlessly. Thanks for dumbing down those install instructions. You da man!!

Oh, one more thing before I start deleting preference files, trashing "Time Synchroniser" extensions and zappiing prams ... I forgot to mention that I also received that "Network Time Error" window while was using OS9 (before I erased the hard drive and installed OS9.2.2).

I think I'll hold out one more day for any more advice before I start deleting and zapping things.

Sweet Zombie Jesus

Cipher13
Feb 19, 2002, 04:32 AM

Originally posted by furbawl:
<STRONG>

Sorry I didn't send you an email after installation (as promised). Yeah, the install went as expected...flawlessly. Thanks for dumbing down those install instructions. You da man!!

Oh, one more thing before I start deleting preference files, trashing "Time Synchroniser" extensions and zappiing prams ... I forgot to mention that I also received that "Network Time Error" window while was using OS9 (before I erased the hard drive and installed OS9.2.2).

I think I'll hold out one more day for any more advice before I start deleting and zapping things.

Sweet Zombie Jesus</STRONG>
No problemo. Zapping the PRAM and deleting that file are no big deal at all.

Boot the computer holding Apple-Option-P-R and wait until the third chime, then let go and let it finish booting.

PRAM reset.

Now, delete Time Synchroniser extension from your Extensions folder (hard drive : System Folder : Extensions : Time Synchroniser).

I think thats its name... might be Network TIme Extension or something. I'm 99% sure its Time Synchroniser... I can't check, cause I deleted it off all my systems.

Forum Links
Forum Rules