Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Which car do I buy? (SUV)

Which car do I buy? (SUV)
pheonixash
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 14, 2006, 02:06 PM

Hi,

Needed recommendations for my next set of wheels! I was looking at buying an SUV, with a budget of say 20-25k dollars. The last car I bought was over 6 years ago, and that was a sedan, so I have no idea about prices and the like of SUV's. I am of course gonna research and start looking, but I wanted to know your thoughts!

P.S. Probably not the best forum for car recommendations, but since we're all Mac users, I was hoping I would get suggestions from like-minded people! (Read: With a perception for top-quality!!)

hayesk
Oct 14, 2006, 02:34 PM

If you want to buy an SUV, fine. But can you explain to me the appeal of an SUV?

They get crappy mileage, have less cargo area than a pickup or minivan, and the safety factor is just a myth.

What's the appeal?

Railroader
Banned
Oct 14, 2006, 03:09 PM

I'll have to repeat part of haysek's post. Why an SUV? I debated between an SUV and a mini-van during my last purchase and decided on the van. Image means nothing to me and a van fit my needs better.

What are you requirements for the vehicle?

Buckaroo
Professional Poster
Oct 14, 2006, 03:39 PM

The Toyota Prius

His Dudeness
Mac Elite
Oct 14, 2006, 03:39 PM

During Tropical Storm Ernesto, my Durango went 30 mph through the streets that all you tree huggers with Hondas were floating in. My wake pushed them aside. I made it home. The tree huggers did not.

I paid 29k for my Durango, new. So you might check out one that is one or two years old.

pheonixash  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 14, 2006, 03:54 PM

Well I'm going to be in Dubai for two years which is where I will be purchasing this car. The firm I will be working with there recommended I purchase a 4WD vehicle, to facilitate travel on the sand dunes and the like during site visits.

Railroader
Banned
Oct 14, 2006, 03:55 PM

Originally Posted by His Dudeness
During Tropical Storm Ernesto, my Durango went 30 mph through the streets that all you tree huggers with Hondas were floating in. My wake pushed them aside. I made it home. The tree huggers did not.

I paid 29k for my Durango, new. So you might check out one that is one or two years old.
God for you.

Maybe he won't have the hurricane/tropical storm aspect to worry about like you do though.

Railroader
Banned
Oct 14, 2006, 03:56 PM

Originally Posted by pheonixash
Well I'm going to be in Dubai for two years which is where I will be purchasing this car. The firm I will be working with there recommended I purchase a 4WD vehicle, to facilitate travel on the sand dunes and the like during site visits.
Isn't a Range Rover ideally suited for this kind of environment?

Railroader
Banned
Oct 14, 2006, 03:57 PM

Looks like a Range rover Sport would be ideal.

2006 Range Rover Sport - Previews - Car and Driver - June�2005

His Dudeness
Mac Elite
Oct 14, 2006, 03:57 PM

Dubai is beautiful. Been there twice, very nice place. I'm sure you can find a good Land Cruiser over there.

Nexus5
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 14, 2006, 04:00 PM

During Tropical Storm Ernesto, my Durango went 30 mph through the streets that all you tree huggers with Hondas were floating in. My wake pushed them aside.
Wow! This is so cool!
I made it home.
Yea, home sweet home
The tree huggers did not.

Buying a SUV to be prepared for the next tropical storm is a great idea.

Only in America!

nexus5.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Oct 14, 2006, 04:08 PM

Which car do I buy? (SUV)
Ask Cash.

-t

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Oct 14, 2006, 05:05 PM

If it's Dubai dunes you're after there's only one choice: Toyota Landcruiser.

Do not buy a Range Rover - they're still too unreliable to contemplate in a dune-ridden hostile environment. The only Land Rover to consider in such an environment is an enthusiast-rebuilt (i.e. modified) Defender 110 (or 130), preferably using a 300 TDi or V8 engine (avoid the modern Landy engines like the plague).

Just get a Landcruiser and you won't go far wrong. Don't forget the snorkel.

His Dudeness
Mac Elite
Oct 14, 2006, 05:33 PM

Originally Posted by Nexus5
Wow! This is so cool!

Yea, home sweet home

Buying a SUV to be prepared for the next tropical storm is a great idea.

Only in America!

nexus5.
Wow, your wit and the time it took to type ****ing gibberish astounds me. And yes, in America. The free country where people can buy what the **** they want.

Railroader
Banned
Oct 14, 2006, 05:38 PM

Originally Posted by Doofy

Do not buy a Range Rover - they're still too unreliable to contemplate in a dune-ridden hostile environment. The only Land Rover to consider in such an environment is an enthusiast-rebuilt (i.e. modified) Defender 110 (or 130), preferably using a 300 TDi or V8 engine (avoid the modern Landy engines like the plague).

What he said. Ignore my recommendations. I was simply pointing towards the car and driver article.

His Dudeness
Mac Elite
Oct 14, 2006, 05:41 PM

Speaking of Landcruiser, you guys like the new FJ? Kind of cool I think. Not too expensive.

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Oct 14, 2006, 06:16 PM

Originally Posted by Railroader
What he said. Ignore my recommendations. I was simply pointing towards the car and driver article.
Don't get me wrong... ...I like the Range Rover (well, the mk1, mk2 and the current Sport) but I seriously wouldn't want to drive one beyond the reach of a tow truck. Well, not unless it'd been prepped by these guys anyways.

Goldfinger
Professional Poster
Oct 14, 2006, 06:42 PM

Originally Posted by Railroader
Looks like a Range rover Sport would be ideal.

2006 Range Rover Sport - Previews - Car and Driver - June�2005
Yep and it's only 3x his budget ! And the sport sucks, you'll want the normal Range.

I third the Landcruiser. Don't know if you can get a new one in for that kind of money though.

iMac 20" C2D 2.16 | Acer Aspire One | Flickr

Railroader
Banned
Oct 14, 2006, 07:27 PM

Originally Posted by Goldfinger
Yep and it's only 3x his budget ! And the sport sucks, you'll want the normal Range.

I third the Landcruiser. Don't know if you can get a new one in for that kind of money though.
Buy used

Buckaroo
Professional Poster
Oct 14, 2006, 10:42 PM

Out here in California, whenever you see an SUV that has been in an accident, it is always upside down. I believe the missnamed it. It should have been named AUV for Accident Upsidedown Vehicle.

cSurfr
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 14, 2006, 11:03 PM

Must be the drivers in CA. Here in NJ I rarely see them flipped over. Maybe 2-3 times in 7 years. Of course, if you drive it like an idiot, you'll probably end up on your roof.
-How pumped would you be driving home from work, knowing someplace in your house there's a monkey you're gonna battle?

pheonixash  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 15, 2006, 12:39 AM

What 'bout the new Audi, Q7 is it? I'm not sure about the off-roading capabilities of the car though. I was also looking at the BMW X5. I could probably adjust the budget to accommodate these cars if they are the correct choice.

I'll look into the Landcruiser though. That seems to be the most popular recommendation.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Oct 15, 2006, 01:11 AM

Yeah, everybody should buy an SUV, because you never know when you'll be stuck in a tropical storm... especially if you live in a land locked area.

His Dudeness
Mac Elite
Oct 15, 2006, 07:46 AM

Mastrap
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 15, 2006, 08:32 AM

The Toyota Landcruiser is a good choice. Even I, a dye in the wool Land Rover fan, is forced to admit that.
( Last edited by Mastrap; Oct 15, 2006 at 09:24 AM. )

RAILhead
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 15, 2006, 09:17 AM

Landcruiser
Toyota
"Everything's so clear to me now: I'm the keeper of the cheese and you're the lemon merchant. Get it? And he knows it.
That's why he's gonna kill us. So we got to beat it. Yeah. Before he let's loose the marmosets on us."
my band • my web site • my guitar effects • my photos • facebook • brightpoint

Trygve
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 15, 2006, 10:36 AM

I live in Dubai - Range Rovers, Land Cruiser and Nissan Patrols are popular here - easy to buy something when you arrive - used ones are listed on the boards at Choithrams and Spinneys (grocery stores) all the time.

Are you really going to drive on dunes or just sand? 99% of the SUVs here only drive on Sheikh Zayed Road (the main highway).

Buckaroo
Professional Poster
Oct 15, 2006, 12:05 PM

Originally Posted by besson3c
Yeah, everybody should buy an SUV, because you never know when you'll be stuck in a tropical storm... especially if you live in a land locked area.

Ouch.

The Mick
Senior User
Oct 16, 2006, 01:10 AM

Also consider the Land Rover LR3. Has more ground clearance and better approach and departure angles than a Land Crusier.

I'm not going to call an ambulance this time because then you won't learn anything.

©öñFü$íóÑ
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 16, 2006, 04:04 AM

i'm waiting for the Honda CR-V Hybrid (2007/2008 i think...)

Don't bully me, I got an Uzi... HOO-HAH!

Goldfinger
Professional Poster
Oct 16, 2006, 04:18 AM

nm.

His Dudeness
Mac Elite
Oct 16, 2006, 05:05 AM

I'm waiting for the Durango SRT-8.

Goldfinger
Professional Poster
Oct 16, 2006, 05:13 AM

What 'bout the new Audi, Q7 is it? I'm not sure about the off-roading capabilities of the car though. I was also looking at the BMW X5. I could probably adjust the budget to accommodate these cars if they are the correct choice.

I'll look into the Landcruiser though. That seems to be the most popular recommendation.
They aren't horrible off road but not really meant to go off road. The Q7 appears to be a bit better off road than the X5. But it's an Audi *pukes*.

Keep in mind that you're talking 3x-4x your budget here. Unless you go used.

Goldfinger
Professional Poster
Oct 16, 2006, 05:13 AM

hm double post. weird.

iREZ
Professional Poster
Oct 16, 2006, 05:40 PM

Toyota FJ or Nissan Xterra are the two choices im debating over...

i used to hate the idea of an SUV, but being 6'4 makes it hell to get into a small car. i borrowed a relatives montero for a week and fell in love with sitting high and not squatting to get into the vehicle. their gas mileage isnt that bad unless you get an 8 cylinder beast, but if you get a 6cyl SUV...MPG is usually on par with a 6cyl auto.
NOW YOU SEE ME! 2.4 MBP and 2.0 MBP (running ubuntu)

His Dudeness
Mac Elite
Oct 17, 2006, 04:47 AM

How DARE you suggest than an SUV has on-par mpg rating a car! How DARE you, sir!

Sayf-Allah
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 17, 2006, 06:18 AM

Originally Posted by Doofy View Post

And I recommend you talk to these guys about any modifications.

Arctic Trucks

I'm not sure they could sell you the car but at least they'd be able to give you some good information about what modifications to do.

"Learn to swim"

powerbook867
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 17, 2006, 08:10 AM

FJ cruiser is a great vehicle.
Joe

sek929
Posting Junkie
Oct 17, 2006, 12:50 PM

Originally Posted by His Dudeness View Post

Ummmmmm, 30 MPH in 2 feet of water is not only dumb, it's impossible. Also, why must anyone with a Honda be a tree-hugger? Maybe they just wanted a commuter car. Also, Durangos are UGLY now, and the SRT-8 is no exception.

I'd get a Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, or a mid-70's 4x4 Dodge PowerWagon, those things are indestructable. In fact, I'd get a pickup over an SUV for weight reasons.

voodoo
Posting Junkie
Oct 17, 2006, 12:53 PM

I'd recommend the diesel engine Honda CRV. Damn fine car. Damn fine engine.

V
I could take Sean Connery in a fight... I could definitely take him.

Rumor
Oct 17, 2006, 01:05 PM

Suziki Samurai. When done right, these things are unstoppable.
I like my water with hops, malt, hops, yeast, and hops.

Gossamer
Professional Poster
Oct 17, 2006, 01:08 PM

Originally Posted by sek929 View Post
Ummmmmm, 30 MPH in 2 feet of water is not only dumb, it's impossible. Also, why must anyone with a Honda be a tree-hugger? Maybe they just wanted a commuter car. Also, Durangos are UGLY now, and the SRT-8 is no exception.
Um...who said two feet of water?

sek929
Posting Junkie
Oct 17, 2006, 04:32 PM

He said Hondas were floating.

So, I assumed, that if Hondas were unable to move at all in water, it would need to be at least up past the air intake, probably about 1.5-2 feet deep then.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Oct 17, 2006, 04:43 PM

Even going 30 MPH in 6 inches of water would be retarded. Basically I am calling him out on B.S.

He probably did pass many Hondas on his way to safety, but I'm sure he was traveling at a much less ludicrous speed.

His Dudeness
Mac Elite
Oct 18, 2006, 04:42 AM

Yeah, I might have been going 15 to 20. And yes, all these Hot Wheel cars were stalled out and floating.

Gossamer
Professional Poster
Oct 18, 2006, 12:23 PM

All it took was me driving 15-20 in less than six inches of water for my power steering to go out, it really wouldn't take that much to incapacitate my car, so I believe him.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Oct 18, 2006, 12:25 PM

It's not about incapacitating a car, hydroplaning can occur with less than one inch of rain (much less) so If there was 6" of water on a roadway I wouldn't go any faster than +5 MPH over idle speed, even in my 4x4 truck. Any more is just tempting fate.

Then again I have to drive in snow a lot, so I am a very good foul-weather driver.

Podolsky
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 16, 2006, 09:15 PM

My 3 kids grew our of your Prius which I have owned for 5 years (two different models) so this month I bought the fj Cruiser and really love it. Sure, I pay more, a lot more, for gas but I can haul kids, bikes, skis, boats, canoes and it is so fun to drive! The Prius was great and I am glad I drove them for so long but they kind of rip the soul out of driving. Now I have a 6 speed manual gear box and all kinds of torque. I have always loved cars and SUV, the right ones, are good, safe vehicles. I suggest you go test drive the Fj. It isn't for everyone both from style and drive experience standpoint. But you know right away after test driving one and walking around it. It either grabs you or it won't.

powerbook867
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 16, 2006, 09:35 PM

There's quite the cult following out there:

Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum - Powered by vBulletin

I have never been an SUV guy at all, but the form factor (not too big, but a very capable off road vehicle), not horrifically bad gas mileage, and a really fun to drive vehicle brought me over the evil SUV loving side of the fence!!

Also, if you ever need it go camping and you think you might need emergency shelter, the seats that flip up toward the front seat unbolt out and get the bed to go down flat!

Me and the girls out having fun...

Joe

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Nov 16, 2006, 10:37 PM

My parents have a 2005 Nissan Xterra Off Road. It's very nice. We have about 17,500 miles on it so far. No problems at all. It's never been back to the dealer. The 4.0 VQ V6 is a beauty of an engine. But don't expect steller MPG, the best we've gotten is 20 MPG, normally around town we get is 15-16 MPG, but my parents drive it pretty hard. It was originally $29,000 but with a ton of haggling we got it for a stellar $23,000.

Forum Links
Forum Rules