Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Apple Card

Apple Card
turtle777
Clinically Insane
Aug 15, 2019, 08:26 PM

Ok, got it.

+ easy & hassle free signup (took only 2 minutes)
+ nice details on spending
+ 2% spending on Apple Pay purchase

- No access to spending data (download as CSV or any other format that could be imported into financial software like Quicken)

The last point is a deal breaker for me.
I’m not going to use it until I can import into Quicken.

-t

mindwaves
Aug 16, 2019, 12:21 AM

How did you get it? Special email link or something?

I use my capital one Venture card which is essentially two percent back on anything. I like it because I get to get account credit the moment something posts. But Apple Card may be better because can get cash back the second you use it, no need to wait for it to post, or so I’m told.

Has neat security tricks also which may be useful considering the massive data hack of CapitalOne earlier.

turtle777  (op)
Clinically Insane
Aug 16, 2019, 01:03 AM

Originally Posted by mindwaves View Post
How did you get it? Special email link or something?
Signed up about a week ago ("Notify me"), and got an invitation email a few days later.

You are right that 2% can be had on other cards. I like the security aspect of the physical card not showing the card#, but if you use the physical card, you only get 1% cash back. Meh.

OTOH, no foreign transaction fees is great.

Still, until I can import into Quicken, I'm gonna stick with my other cards.

-t

mindwaves
Aug 16, 2019, 12:01 PM

I will sign up and use it for some transactions (daily Starbucks fix), pending acceptance.

But will continue to use my CapitalOne Venture card as I travel a lot and get 10% hotels.com using it + normal 2% off.

Probably use the Apple card for about 10% (in dollar value) for all my monthly transactions.

mindwaves
Aug 20, 2019, 08:39 PM

Finally got the Apple Card. I guess it was when it was available for anyone despite me clicking the "Notify Me" link. I opted not for the titanium card as I don't really care about a physical card and is something else for me to potentially lose, and I will just use my CapitalOne Venture card if needed (2% back in travel points, essentially cash). I also like the option of not actually getting the card instead of being pushed to me as a default option like when I recently signed up for a Schwab bank account and a Visa card got sent to my house automatically (I emailed Schwab no, but they said nothing they can do about it and told me to shred it).

What is surprising, but in a good way, was my credit limit. Surprising because everyone online was complaining about getting a low credit limit despite having a purported high credit score.

Made the Apple Card my default card. The main thing that persuaded me to get it is to use my Apple cash to pay for subsequent items. It is kind of the same thing as my Venture card, just done in a different way. Probably will use it at Starbucks later today. Will still use my Venture card, but less and less.
( Last edited by mindwaves; Aug 20, 2019 at 09:17 PM. )

turtle777  (op)
Clinically Insane
Aug 20, 2019, 11:46 PM

I too got a higher credit limit than I expected.
It’s the highest I had gotten for any initial card sign up.

Well, not going to use it much, but the additional credit limit is good because it counts towards my credit card utilization.

(Not so fun fact - even if you pay off your cards in full every month, the credit reporting agencies still report a balance all the time because they randomly pull the balance at any point in time. Once My testing got dinged for high credit card utilization, even though I never carry a balance.)

-t

mindwaves
Sep 10, 2019, 05:35 AM

I did the Apple Cash card thing and accumulated $9 on it. I thought that I could select it when making an Apple Pay transaction and deduct the price of the goods bought from my Apple Cash card balance. Nope. The NFC reader got an error and I had to Apple Pay using my Apple card instead.

I just transferred the $9 to my Schwab account instead.

Forum Links
Forum Rules