Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > American flag randomly appearing in menu bar

American flag randomly appearing in menu bar
m i k e
Nov 25, 2007, 05:54 AM

I noticed today that the American flag (international symbol) randomly appeared in my menu bar. I was able to disable by going into the "International" settings but I don't like the idea that things are going on in Leopard without me doing anything. I feel like this happens periodically. The only thing I can think of is that maybe I hit a shortcut but I don't even think there is a shortcut to make the flag appear. Has anyone experienced the same thing or know why that may have happened? Thanks. I know it's not a huge deal but it's slightly annoying.

Kevin
Baninated
Nov 25, 2007, 07:16 AM

My dock settings keeps getting reverted back. So I had the "size" locked, but the animation amount keeps changing. Esp when I log out or reboot.

It did that in 10.0 too. 10.5 has issues with preferences it seems.

analogika
Posting Junkie
Nov 25, 2007, 08:50 AM

Always so quick to blame Leopard...

Certain applications have ****ed with the input settings since the days of 10.0 - Corel Graphics Suite, notably.

Microsoft Office won't respect the system's input settings, either.

Watch when exactly that flag appears and see if you can tie it to certain applications being open or active in the foreground.

Jacke
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 25, 2007, 09:34 AM

The shortcut for changing input method is Cmd-Space; I often activate the Japanese input by mistake. Unless it's an app that's doing it, I'm guessing you're just hitting it by mistake.

Kevin
Baninated
Nov 25, 2007, 09:42 AM

Originally Posted by analogika View Post
Always so quick to blame Leopard...
I wasn't blaming anyone per-say. I was saying that *I too* have preference saving problems with 10.5. That mine ARE 10.5 specific. That this could be very well the case with his problem. My post wasn't overtly negative against 10.5 to the point it warranted such a reply.

ghporter
Administrator
Nov 25, 2007, 10:20 AM

Do you have a problem with the flag itself, or that it shows up intermittently? The flag is just an indicator of your keyboard/input layout, and the U.S. layout is very different from other English layouts, so it's kind of important that you know what you'll get when you hit "shift-4" for example. In Tiger, the International Preferences pane's Input Menu tab gives you a check box to select whether or not you'll see what your selected input layout is. It takes some sort of action to change that-either your own actions to manually select the input layout, or some application changing it for you.

So, now that you're paying attention to the menu bar, is the input icon actually showing up randomly? If it is, do you have any apps that might change this for you? I doubt Leopard just gets a wild hair and changes it for the fun of watching your startled expression.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 25, 2007, 02:22 PM

The flag is visible when there is more than one input method or the character palette selected in the input methods section of the international preferences. Turn all off except one input method (in your case US english) and it disappears.

Unfortunately that means that it will always reappear when you open the character palette from the command in the Edit menu. There is no way to avoid this afaik. This has been the case in Tiger already, so it's not a new Leopard issue.

.Neo
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 25, 2007, 02:37 PM

Originally Posted by TETENAL View Post
The flag is visible when there is more than one input method or the character palette selected in the input methods section of the international preferences. Turn all off except one input method (in your case US english) and it disappears.

Unfortunately that means that it will always reappear when you open the character palette from the command in the Edit menu. There is no way to avoid this afaik. This has been the case in Tiger already, so it's not a new Leopard issue.
It doesn't appear here when going to Special Characters.

Professional Poster
Nov 25, 2007, 10:29 PM

I got Airport preference problems... but thats a whole nother can o worms.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Nov 25, 2007, 11:03 PM

Originally Posted by Jacke View Post
The shortcut for changing input method is Cmd-Space; I often activate the Japanese input by mistake. Unless it's an app that's doing it, I'm guessing you're just hitting it by mistake.
Command-Space is set by default to bring up Spotlight, not input.

hempcamp
Forum Regular
Nov 26, 2007, 12:07 AM

Originally Posted by m i k e View Post
I noticed today that the American flag (international symbol) randomly appeared in my menu bar.
New requirement of the Patriot Act.

Just kidding. Hmm... I think Command+Space (which usually brings up Spotlight) for some reason brought up that for you instead, as mentioned above. It's rather funny that Apple clearly writes in the Help section that there is a conflict between the two keyboard shortcuts! (Check it out.)

See if it happens again randomly and check back in with what programs you were running at the time.

--Chris
Current: iMac 20" 2.4/4/320 / iMac G4 800
Portable: iPhone 3G White/16 / 12" PowerBook 1.5/1.25/80
Former: PowerMac G5 Dual 1.8 / iBook G3 700 / PM 7500, 3G iPod 10GB, 5.5G iPod 30GB

Jacke
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 27, 2007, 07:45 AM

Originally Posted by imitchellg5 View Post
Command-Space is set by default to bring up Spotlight, not input.
Heh, still on 10.3 here... What's the new shortcut for changing input in 10.4+?

Forum Links
Forum Rules