Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Alternative Operating Systems > About to intall Vista via Boot Camp...

About to intall Vista via Boot Camp...
m i k e
Jan 17, 2008, 12:07 AM

I am about to install Vista through Boot Camp and I would like to know if there are any concerns I should take into account? Is there anything I should do pre-installation? Is the process pretty straight forward?

Thanks.

ghporter
Administrator
Jan 17, 2008, 09:31 AM

Have your product key AT YOUR SIDE before you start. Be aware that at some point in the installation process the computer will restart-and you'll probably get a "press any key to boot from CD" type prompt; once you've gotten started, NEVER choose to boot from the CD. This is one of the biggest PITAs in installing XP, and it may have been left in Vista. Be prepared to keep yourself hydrated-this process could take a while. Oh, and make sure you have the driver disc (with Leopard that's the Leopard install disc) handy for when the basic installation finishes-it's quite possible that not much will work without those drivers.

You don't mention what Mac you're installing this on. Make sure you don't have anything plugged into the computer except your keyboard and mouse-NOTHING ELSE AT ALL. And I mean a wired, USB keyboard and mouse, too. Wireless keyboards and mice are supported, but not during installation, since they need drivers themselves.

Enjoy "the dark side" but come up for air and back to OS X now and then, ok?

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Forum Links
Forum Rules