Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Hyundai Genesis Coupe

Hyundai Genesis Coupe (Page 2)
sek929
Posting Junkie
Mar 27, 2008, 07:21 PM

Not to mention she's got 4 doors.

That's one ballsy little V6, how's the gas mileage? I'm not interested in the BS EPA estimates, just your real-world experience.

I can honestly say I'm very interested in this little car of yours, maybe find a mint one for myself in the future.

rickey939
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 27, 2008, 07:44 PM

Neat.

imitchellg5  (op)
Posting Junkie
Mar 27, 2008, 08:53 PM

Originally Posted by rickey939 View Post
Neat.
Proud of you®.

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Mar 27, 2008, 09:18 PM

My Toyota pickup does a 1/4 mile in 9.8 minutes.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Mar 27, 2008, 10:21 PM

Originally Posted by sek929 View Post
Not to mention she's got 4 doors.

That's one ballsy little V6, how's the gas mileage? I'm not interested in the BS EPA estimates, just your real-world experience.

I can honestly say I'm very interested in this little car of yours, maybe find a mint one for myself in the future.
Keep in mind I had a Taurus 3.0 swapped in place of the 2.5. WIth my old engine, I managed to pull 32mpg driving on the highway with the cruise set at the speed limit, and 20-24mpg with mixed driving, which always included some tearing around town.

With my 3.0, I got 28mpg on my last trip to Iowa (3.5 hours) with the cruise set at 75-78 the whole way. I get about 19-20 with mixed driving and about 15 if I do nothing but tear around town, which has happened a couple times. I could see it getting 30 if I had the patience to keep the cruise at 65-70 on the interstate. Keep in mind it requires premium gas, though.

If you look at the dyno chart again, the blue line is a different SVT running the 2.5 with an intake and full catback. You can see the torque advantage the 3.0 has...about 40 lb-ft.

You can pick up a pretty good example with a low mileage 3.0 already swapped in for less than $5000. With a full cat-back (right now I just have headers and a y-pipe and it's LOUD) and an '04-'05 upper intake manifold I could easily see 210- 215hp at the wheels.

Like this one: 1998 T-Red 3L SVT in AL - CEG Forums
( Last edited by Laminar; Mar 27, 2008 at 10:31 PM. Reason: link)

Railroader
Banned
Mar 27, 2008, 11:38 PM

Originally Posted by olePigeon View Post
My Toyota pickup does a 1/4 mile in 9.8 minutes.
You should see what my 2000 Dodge 15-passenger van will do it in. You can use a sun dial and also about 1.2 gallons of gas.

Dakar the Fourth
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 27, 2008, 11:49 PM

You're hilarious.

The 2000 model didn't come with the sundial.

xi_hyperon
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 28, 2008, 12:08 AM

I've never understood the fascination with straight-line times. There's much more fun to be had with a car by its overall fun-to-drive agility on public roads (racing on public roads = dumb). Unless your thing is going to the track every weekend, there's not much point in 1/4 mile times. I'll take a light-weight car that's a little slower off the line and can handle the twisties gracefully than one that weights 3000+ lbs and can do a 1/4 mile at break-neck speeds.

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Mar 28, 2008, 02:28 AM

Why would you make your car LOUDer?

[ fb ] [ flickr ] [] [scl] [ last ] [ plaxo ]

Cipher13
Mar 28, 2008, 02:57 AM

It's a Hyundai. Enough said, no?

If they seriously want to get into anything other than the piece-of-****, sub-twelve-grand first-car market, they need to introduce those cars as anything BUT Hyundai models.

They shot themselves in the foot in that respect with the eXcel (in Australia, anyway).

greenamp
Mac Elite
Mar 28, 2008, 03:17 AM

Originally Posted by Laminar View Post
And your butt provides a numeric readout of performance? This site lists the 2005 as running a 5.1/13.8 and Motor Trend recorded a 5.1/13.5. But hey, you've driven one, so what do all of those numbers mean anyway?

It all depends on what you want in a car. If your thing is having some fun from stoplight to stoplight then "drag bench times" wouldn't be "retarded."
Fanboy much? All that nerd angst and yet you didn't even read your own expert google links. Every GT in both of the lists you linked ran a 14.1+ except for one convertible that ran a 13.7 out of like a dozen others. What you saw running consistent 13s was a Mustang Cobra or Mach 1 which is not the same as a GT. Surely you know that.

I almost didn't even reply to you b/c I've been to tracks countless times and never seen a stock GT do anything better than a 14. I don't really care if it could run a 10 or a 20 I'm just stating a fact that I have seen with my own eyes many times. Some minimal mods like a new set of headers and an exhaust can open one up to do a 13.5ish, but stock they are 14s. End of story.

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Mar 28, 2008, 06:30 AM

Originally Posted by - - e r i k - - View Post
Ownership of testicles.
Been inclined to wander... off the beaten track.
That's where there's thunder... and the wind shouts back.

villalobos
Mac Elite
Mar 28, 2008, 07:45 AM

Old age. Due to hearing decreasing.

imitchellg5  (op)
Posting Junkie
Mar 28, 2008, 11:13 AM

Originally Posted by Cipher13 View Post
It's a Hyundai. Enough said, no?

If they seriously want to get into anything other than the piece-of-****, sub-twelve-grand first-car market, they need to introduce those cars as anything BUT Hyundai models.

They shot themselves in the foot in that respect with the eXcel (in Australia, anyway).
Actually they are doing just that overseas and possibly here as well. Sort of following Toyota and Lexus.

Railroader
Banned
Mar 28, 2008, 11:44 AM

Mufflers restrict the volume of the exhaust, but they also create a lot of back pressure. Pistons have to overcome that back pressure in the combustion chamber, and that decreases efficiency. Reduce back pressure and the pistons can operate more efficiently and give you more power and better fuel economy.

A lot of farmers put an exhaust by-pass in their exhaust tubes that they can switch back and forth. That way they can switch over to zero muffler when they need an extra boost towing something or while using their trucks out in the fields.

TheWOAT
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 28, 2008, 12:34 PM

Originally Posted by greenamp View Post
Fanboy much? All that nerd angst and yet you didn't even read your own expert google links. Every GT in both of the lists you linked ran a 14.1+ except for one convertible that ran a 13.7 out of like a dozen others. What you saw running consistent 13s was a Mustang Cobra or Mach 1 which is not the same as a GT. Surely you know that.

I almost didn't even reply to you b/c I've been to tracks countless times and never seen a stock GT do anything better than a 14. I don't really care if it could run a 10 or a 20 I'm just stating a fact that I have seen with my own eyes many times. Some minimal mods like a new set of headers and an exhaust can open one up to do a 13.5ish, but stock they are 14s. End of story.
I dont believe MotorTrend #s too much, but its possible they got a 13.5 if the weather was right, the track was in great shape, and the stock tires werent stock, or maybe they just made a guess based on HP numbers. If you are at the track alot, I wont argue your observations, but I do believe you can get under 14 (not 13.5, but 13.7) with a good driver and favorable conditions.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Mar 28, 2008, 05:47 PM

The stock SVT Contour has a single resonator halfway through the exhaust system and dual mufflers at the rear. The previous owner cut out the resonator and replaced it with a straight pipe, which does little more than make the car louder. At that point it sounded pretty good. But when I had the new engine put in, I threw in headers and a y-pipe, which are where real gains are seen (~15-20 whp on this car), but it made it quite a bit louder. It's currently too loud in my opinion, and I plan on either getting a new resonator to replace the one that was cut out or getting a full cat-back system with 2.5" pipe all the way back to both increase performance and quiet the car down.

Originally Posted by greenamp View Post
False.

Originally Posted by the first link
2005 Ford Mustang GT 5.1 13.80
Originally Posted by the second link
2005 Ford Mustang GT 4.6L V8 5.1 13.5 (MT Jan 05)
Neither of those is a Cobra, Mach 1, Bullitt, etc. Surely you know that.

Except that you've made it quite clear that you DO care what they run. And I can assure you that the number of tracks that you've been to has absolutely no bearing on the capabilities of any car. The numbers speak for themselves, and I don't understand why you're so dead set on disagreeing with them. I may be a bit of a Ford fanboy, but I'm not an idiot. There isn't a car that Ford makes today that I'd choose to drive, including the Mustang, but I have no valid reason to disbelieve that experienced drivers are capable of the numbers recorded for this car. Give me a good reason not to trust them.

imitchellg5  (op)
Posting Junkie
Mar 28, 2008, 06:23 PM

I saw a Genesis and Genesis coupe today at the Denver show. Very slick cars. They wouldn't let anyone sit in either, but they looked awesome. The coupe's interior looks a lot better in person than in photos too. It is a bit smaller in person too than it looks, not a ton bigger than the Tib.

Forum Links
Forum Rules