Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > 10.5.7 is out

10.5.7 is out
Matthew Attoe
Mac Enthusiast
May 12, 2009, 04:23 PM

Just appeared in my Software Update - 286MB. Although I'm gonna grab the combo.
Early 2008 Mac Pro (8 x 2.8), original Core Duo 2.0GHz MacBook Pro

seanc
Moderator Emeritus
May 12, 2009, 04:42 PM

"Network issues" stand in my way =/

fisherKing
Professional Poster
May 12, 2009, 04:53 PM

449 mb here...! (aluminum macbook)... just installed. same as it ever was...
"At first, there was Nothing. Then Nothing inverted itself and became Something.
And that is what you all are: inverted Nothings...with potential" (Sun Ra)

Salty
Professional Poster
May 12, 2009, 05:09 PM

Is it snappy?

larkost
Mac Elite
May 12, 2009, 05:20 PM

Mathew, could you tell me what hardware you are running, and what OS you were coming from? I am trying to gather some evidence for a presentation that I will be giving at a presentation in September (and might be reprising at MacWorld in February).

Matthew Attoe  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
May 12, 2009, 05:24 PM

Originally Posted by larkost View Post
Mathew, could you tell me what hardware you are running, and what OS you were coming from? I am trying to gather some evidence for a presentation that I will be giving at a presentation in September (and might be reprising at MacWorld in February).
Hi,

MBP Core Duo 2.0GHz going from 10.5.6 to 10.5.7 using the combo updater.
Early 2008 Mac Pro (8 x 2.8), original Core Duo 2.0GHz MacBook Pro

larkost
Mac Elite
May 12, 2009, 05:35 PM

Originally Posted by Matthew Attoe View Post
MBP Core Duo 2.0GHz going from 10.5.6 to 10.5.7 using the combo updater.
Thanks for the responce, but I assume that you were going from 10.5.6 to 10.5.7 using Software Update and thus a "custom delta" rather than a combo updater.

tonewheel
Mac Enthusiast
May 12, 2009, 06:24 PM

...still not fixed.

moep
Senior User
May 12, 2009, 06:44 PM

The Software Updater in 10.6 needs to utilize the Bittorrent Protocol.

That’s all I can say while this 443MB update comes down my 20 Mbit line at a whooping 7.3 KB per second.
"The road to success is dotted with the most tempting parking spaces."

Art Vandelay
Professional Poster
May 12, 2009, 06:53 PM

Something is screwy with the SU servers today. Just download it manually from Apple's website.
Vandelay Industries

TheoCryst
Mac Elite
May 12, 2009, 07:09 PM

Originally Posted by Art Vandelay View Post
Something is screwy with the SU servers today. Just download it manually from Apple's website.
Seconded. SU estimated ~6 hours to download, while the one from Apple's support website should be done in about a half hour.

Any ramblings are entirely my own, and do not represent those of my employers, coworkers, friends, or species

CIA
Mac Elite
May 12, 2009, 07:09 PM

I downloaded the combo updater, ran it on my 8x3.2 MacPro. Update seemed to go ok. The machine restarted, long pause (several minutes) and it restarted again. Most updates seem to do this so I didn't worry. Anyway, after the second restart it sat on a gray screen. I figured it would take awhile to sort things out, and I've learned to be patient. This machine has a FW DV Deck hooked to a PCIe Firewire Card, 4 internal drives, 4 external firewire drives hooked to the built in FW 400 port, 8 other drives (two 4 drive RAID 0's) hooked up to a Sonnet eSATA PCIe card via 2 port multipliers and finally a single eSATA drive hooked up to one of the unused motherboard DVD SATA ports via a PCI slot adaptor. Plus a zillion USB things hooked up. Needless to say even normal restarts take unusually long as the computer sorts out what's hooked up to it.
After about 15 minutes my grey screen turned into grey screen with a blinking 2D folder on it. Never seen that before.
Manual power off, power on and it booted fine. Repaired disk permissions (which was done also before I updated) and a billion things popped up. Updated Safari Beta, Restarted, re-repaired permissions (another billion things, odd.) and everything seems to be running ok.
I guess patience is critical.
Work: 2008 8x3.2 MacPro, 8800GT, 16GB ram, zillions of HDs. (video editing)
Home: 2008 24" 2.8 iMac, 2TB Int, 4GB ram.
Road: 2009 13" 2.26 Macbook Pro, 8GB ram & 640GB WD blue internal
Retired to BOINC only: My trusty never-gonna-die 12" iBook G4 1.25

ibook_steve
May 12, 2009, 07:50 PM

I think it's usually recommended to disconnect all peripherals when updating the OS.

Steve
Celebrating 10 years and 4000 posts on MacNN!

Rumor
May 12, 2009, 08:05 PM

Originally Posted by tonewheel View Post
...still not fixed.
What isn't?

Originally Posted by moep View Post
The Software Updater in 10.6 needs to utilize the Bittorrent Protocol.

That’s all I can say while this 443MB update comes down my 20 Mbit line at a whooping 7.3 KB per second.
Not really feasible since some companies (Comcast) throttle BT traffic. There isn't a way to determine what is legitimate and what isn't, so until then it couldn't work.
I like my water with hops, malt, hops, yeast, and hops.

Cold Warrior
May 12, 2009, 08:22 PM

Originally Posted by Rumor View Post
Not really feasible since some companies (Comcast) throttle BT traffic. There isn't a way to determine what is legitimate and what isn't, so until then it couldn't work.
Comcast should not be throttling torrent traffic anymore.

ghporter
Administrator
May 12, 2009, 08:59 PM

I tried to download the update through Software Update, and it went slowly and stalled often. I gave up after a short while-I'm really used to SU being a lot faster than that. I've come back now, about 2 hours later and SU is even very slow checking for updates. I think I'm gonna hit the main Apple site for this.

No wait...SU is actually going faster than downloading from Support.apple.com.

Later... It took a while, but the 443MB updater from support.apple.com actually downloaded. SU choked and said that the download was corrupted or something...
( Last edited by ghporter; May 12, 2009 at 09:21 PM. )

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

ghporter
Administrator
May 12, 2009, 09:47 PM

Interestingly, it seems that having a second monitor connected to my aluminum iMac made the update hang up after the first reboot. I turned the machine off, disconnected the second monitor, and restarted, and the process went fine-though long.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
May 12, 2009, 10:37 PM

How come nobody has written "downloading now" yet?

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
May 12, 2009, 11:05 PM

What would be the reasons to download 10.5.7?

frdmfghtr
Senior User
May 12, 2009, 11:24 PM

Originally Posted by ghporter View Post
Interestingly, it seems that having a second monitor connected to my aluminum iMac made the update hang up after the first reboot. I turned the machine off, disconnected the second monitor, and restarted, and the process went fine-though long.
Are you sure it was the second monitor? Mine hung after the first reboot as well, but I rebooted with the second monitor still attached--and all seems to be OK now.

msuper69
Professional Poster
May 12, 2009, 11:44 PM

Originally Posted by ghporter View Post
Later... It took a while, but the 443MB updater from support.apple.com actually downloaded. SU choked and said that the download was corrupted or something...
Updated 2nd gen MBA via SU. First attempt resulted in the same error message you got.
I just did it again and all's well.

(U-Verse broadband is flakey sometimes)

jay3ld
Senior User
May 13, 2009, 12:00 AM

Originally Posted by ibook_steve View Post
I think it's usually recommended to disconnect all peripherals when updating the OS.

Steve
Who listens to recommendations these days?

I did my towers via remote desktop and will do mine shortly.
You shouldn't make fun of nerds... you'll be working for one some day.

shrugs*
May 13, 2009, 12:26 AM

Just updated my MBP from 10.5.6 while in clamshell, no problems.. Although after restarting the OS X Welcome video & registration prompt came up (??).

Download was pretty quick for me, I guess all of you early birds are done
Macbook Pro + Sawtooth

MacTheRiverRat
Forum Regular
May 13, 2009, 03:18 AM

Updated done on Aluminum MB. 1 hr and 10 min using Verizon Nationwide wireless access.

All is well!
Life of working on a Mississippi River Towboat
Apple 2, Apple 2e, Mac 128-k , PowerPC 6115, Imac 233, ibook 900 Mhz
Now an Aluminum 13" 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4GB SDRAM

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
May 13, 2009, 03:27 AM

Originally Posted by Wiskedjak View Post
What would be the reasons to download 10.5.7?
http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3194
What's new in this update?

Address Book

Improves reliability of Address Book syncing with iPhone and other devices and applications.
AirPort

Improves the reliability of AirPort connections, including improvements when roaming in large wireless networks with an Intel-based Mac.
Client management

Improves reliability of synchronizing files on a portable home directory.
Fixes an issue in Mac OS X 10.5.4 and 10.5.5 in which managed users may not see printers that use the Generic PPD.
Client computers that use UUID-based ByHost preferences now respect managed Screen Saver settings.
iChat

Addresses an issue that could cause an encryption alert to appear in the chat window.
Setting your iChat status to "invisible" via AppleScript no longer logs you out of iChat.
Resolves an issue in which pasting text from a Microsoft Office document could insert an image rather than text.
Graphics

Includes general improvements to gaming performance.
Includes graphics improvements for iChat, Cover Flow, Aperture, and iTunes.
Includes fixes for possible graphics distortion issues with certain ATI graphics cards.
Mail

Includes overall performance and reliability fixes.
Improves Connection Doctor accuracy.
Fixes an issue that could cause messages identified as junk to remain in the inbox.
Fixes an issue that could cause Mail to append a character to the file extension of an attachment.
Addresses an issue that could prevent Mail from quitting.
Improves reliability when printing PDF attachments.
MobileMe

Contacts, calendars, and bookmarks on a Mac automatically sync within a minute of the change being made on the computer, another device, or the web at me.com.
Networking

Improves Apple File Service performance, especially when using a home directory hosted on an AFP server. Important: If you are using Mac OS X 10.5.6 (client) to connect to a Mac OS X Server 10.4-based server, it is strongly recommended that you update the server to Mac OS X Server version 10.4.11.
Improves the performance and reliability of TCP connections.
Improves reliability and performance for AT&T 3G cards.
Updates the ssh Terminal command for compatibility with more ssh servers.
Printing

Improves printing for the Adobe CS3 application suite.
Improves printing for USB-based Brother and Canon printers.
Parental Controls

Addresses an issue in which a parentally-controlled account could be unable to access the iTunes Store.
Includes general fixes for time limits.
Resolves an issue that prevented adding allowed websites from Safari via drag and drop.
Time Machine

Fixes issues that could cause Time Machine to state the backup volume could not be found.
Improves Time Machine reliability with Time Capsule.
Safari

Improves compatibility with web proxy servers.

General

Includes Mac OS X security improvements. See this website for more information.
Addresses inaccuracies with Calculator when the Mac OS X language is set to German or Swiss German.
Improves the performance and reliability of Chess.
Improves DVD Player performance and reliability.
Performance improvements for iCal are included.
Fixes an issue when running the New iCal Events Automator action as an applet.
Adds a Trackpad System Preference pane for portable Macs.
Improves compatibility with smart cards such as the U.S. Department of Defense Common Access Card.
Updates time zone data and Daylight Saving Time rules for several countries.
The Chess improvements won me over.

Really tie the update together.

Simon
Posting Junkie
May 13, 2009, 03:28 AM

Download and install went fast. I saw ~3MB/s. No problems (as usual).

DarkStarRed
Dedicated MacNNer
May 13, 2009, 04:33 AM

I too got 449, transition was smooth & fast only took 8 minutes altogether didn't have to disconnect any peripherals (Canon printer, TM-HD etc. I did uninstall my iChat mod & theme Caesar haven't loaded it back-up yet to see if any bugs to the theme.

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
May 13, 2009, 05:13 AM

Originally Posted by Spheric Harlot View Post
http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3194

The Chess improvements won me over.

Really tie the update together.
*cough* That's the 10.5.6 update notes.

Originally Posted by About the Mac OS X 10.5.7 Update
What's included?

General
Includes latest security fixes.
Includes additional RAW image support for several third-party cameras.
Improves performance of video playback and cursor movements for recent Macs with NVIDIA graphics.
Resolves an issue with Dvorak keyboard layout in Mac OS X 10.5.6.
Improves the reliability and accuracy of Unit Converter, Stocks, Weather and Movies Dashboard widgets.
Addresses a situation that may cause issues when logging into Gmail.
Improves reliability when syncing contacts with Yahoo!.
Expansion Slot Utility for Mac Pro now reports the correct PCIe slot configuration.
Improves network performance when connected to certain Ethernet switches that have Flow Control enabled.
Improves stability for network home directories hosted by Mac OS X Server v10.4.
Improves Finder search results for network volumes that may not support Spotlight searching, such as Mac OS X Server v10.4, Time Capsule, and third-party AFP servers.
Includes several improvements to Directory Service and Client Management.

iCal
Improves overall reliability with CalDav.
Improves reliability when automatically syncing with MobileMe.

Mail
Addresses reliability and sync issues with Notes.
Addresses an issue that may cause the BCC field to populate incorrectly when redirecting a message from the Sent mailbox.

Parental Controls
Improves consistency with Parental Controls and application restrictions.
Addresses an issue in which time limits may not work properly with full-screen games and Fast User Switching.

Printing
Resolves an issue that may cause certain third-party printers to print to the incorrect paper tray.
Non-admin user accounts can now be allowed to add and remove printers by enabling Parental Controls and selecting "Can administer printers".
Includes other printing reliability and stability improvements.
http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3397

[ fb ] [ flickr ] [] [scl] [ last ] [ plaxo ]

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
May 13, 2009, 05:23 AM

I could *swear* that I posted the page linked from Apple's 10.5.7 update page:
http://support.apple.com/downloads/M..._10_5_7_Update

Maybe they fixed the link in the meantime; maybe I just ****ed up.

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
May 13, 2009, 06:18 AM

Minor grip, VMware listed Boot Camp twice after the update…

cgc
Professional Poster
May 13, 2009, 09:19 AM

After mine 10.5.7 finished installing, I clicked "restart now" in the installaer window and the button grayed out but nothing happened. I waited a while before manually restarting. Everything works just a weird quirk.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
May 13, 2009, 10:08 AM

I'll always remember a bit of Eddie Izzard's regarding these software updates (and it sounded like he was referring specifically to Apple's software updates)...

He remarked how he's addicted to software updates and checks for updates every day, and the second one comes up he installs it without hesitation out of conditioning, and after all of that time and reboot he restarts his computer to find out that nothing has changed. That doesn't deter him from going through this same process after the next update is released though

The excitement over these point updates seems to go back to the origins of OS X, if not earlier

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
May 13, 2009, 10:13 AM

Originally Posted by besson3c View Post
I'll always remember a bit of Eddie Izzard's regarding these software updates (and it sounded like he was referring specifically to Apple's software updates)...

He remarked how he's addicted to software updates and checks for updates every day, and the second one comes up he installs it without hesitation out of conditioning, and after all of that time and reboot he restarts his computer to find out that nothing has changed. That doesn't deter him from going through this same process after the next update is released though

The excitement over these point updates seems to go back to the origins of OS X, if not earlier
I think it's just a burning desire to get a new Apple thing, even if it's just an update.

Personally, my MacBook is still at 10.5.4. I haven't seen anything in the last 3 updates that I felt were worth the possibility of Apple's shoddy QA having missed something.

ghporter
Administrator
May 13, 2009, 10:19 AM

Originally Posted by frdmfghtr View Post
Are you sure it was the second monitor? Mine hung after the first reboot as well, but I rebooted with the second monitor still attached--and all seems to be OK now.
No, I'm not at all sure it was the second monitor, but while I was waiting for the thing to work, it would brighten the main screen, then the secondary screen, and the pinwheel would show up on one then the other... It sort of made me believe that the update couldn't figure out what to do with both screens. Either way, it took longer than I'd like, but it's done.

papworth
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 13, 2009, 11:29 AM

…the update ran fine, but now indesign (cs3) is like frozen treacle - lots of spinning rainbow death.
Activity monitor shows no odd hd activity or swapping, it just seems to be indesign.
Weird.
firebook 12" rev A 1.25GB ram 120GB hd 10.4.11
MacBook Pro 15.4" 2.5 4GB ram 250GB hd 10.5.5

besson3c
Clinically Insane
May 13, 2009, 12:22 PM

I feel fortunate I've never been burnt installing an update, but I never understood why Apple doesn't have some sort of rollback (other than Time Machine). I hate the idea of installing an update I don't even need the vast majority of the time just because it's in Software Update and simply hoping for the best.

pat++
Mac Elite
May 13, 2009, 02:06 PM

I'm running 10.5.6 on a 2.2ghz MacBook Pro, but software update doesn't show any available update??? any idea why?

osiris
Addicted to MacNN
May 13, 2009, 02:06 PM

I didn't apply the update to my main machine, but on a surrogate iMac everything seems peachy.

I've been scarred in the past with liberally applied updates, so diligence is key here.
"Faster, faster! 'Till the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death." - HST

dzp111
Senior User
May 13, 2009, 03:51 PM

This has probably been asked before.

Is it a good idea to repair permissions at some point with updates such as this? I heard that some people repair permissions before and/or after updating..
.................................................. .................................................. ..................................www.DNCH.com

.................................................. .................................................. .......................www.daniel.poirier.com

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
May 13, 2009, 03:57 PM

I heard the installer does that itself.

AKcrab
Moderator Emeritus
May 13, 2009, 04:02 PM

Originally Posted by dzp111 View Post
I heard that some people repair permissions before and/or after updating..
Don't waste your time.

dzp111
Senior User
May 13, 2009, 05:05 PM

Is it a good idea to repair permissions at some point with updates such as this? I heard that some people repair permissions before and/or after updating..

Originally Posted by angelmb View Post
I heard the installer does that itself.
Originally Posted by AKcrab View Post
Don't waste your time.
Okay, thanks. It is time consuming..
.................................................. .................................................. ..................................www.DNCH.com

.................................................. .................................................. .......................www.daniel.poirier.com

Gankdawg
Professional Poster
May 13, 2009, 10:46 PM

Originally Posted by papworth View Post
is like frozen treacle
Had to google that! Now I know.

JKT
Professional Poster
May 14, 2009, 05:42 AM

I think it's just a burning desire to get a new Apple thing, even if it's just an update.
For me it is a burning desire to see if they have bothered to fix any of the truly annoying issues I have with Leopard... reading the release notes, the answer appears to be no (with the exception of the security content).

On this occasion I will wait until I have time to troubleshoot should anything go wrong which, I've just realised, is a sad indictment of the horribly poor quality of Leopard for me. I have so little confidence in this version of OS X that it will all "just work" when I use it, whereas I never hesitated once to update earlier versions... sigh.

DCJ001
Dedicated MacNNer
May 14, 2009, 03:43 PM

Personally, my MacBook is still at 10.5.4. I haven't seen anything in the last 3 updates that I felt were worth the possibility of Apple's shoddy QA having missed something.
Maybe "Apple's shoddy QA" missed something with 10.5.4, and 10.5.5, 10.5.6, & 10.5.7 updates have fixed the errors?

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
May 14, 2009, 04:02 PM

Originally Posted by Cold Warrior View Post
Comcast should not be throttling torrent traffic anymore.
They still do. They just told the court their "intent to stop." That doesn't mean they'll stop.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
May 14, 2009, 04:05 PM

Printing
Resolves an issue that may cause certain third-party printers to print to the incorrect paper tray.
Non-admin user accounts can now be allowed to add and remove printers by enabling Parental Controls and selecting "Can administer printers".
Includes other printing reliability and stability improvements.
Yay! I don't need a hack anymore to let non-admins administer printers.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

Simon
Posting Junkie
May 15, 2009, 02:45 AM

Originally Posted by Rumor View Post
Not really feasible since some companies (Comcast) throttle BT traffic.
How efficient is their method? Does switching on RC4 encryption in your BT client not simply circumvent their measures?

I experienced traffic shaping with a cable provider abroad. Speeds dropped from ~1MB/s to ~10KB/s. But as soon as I switched to using encrypted BT I was back up to the original speeds.

Maflynn
Professional Poster
May 15, 2009, 07:05 AM

I'm holding off for a bit, there were reports some folk's MB[P]s where running hotter after the update and other people had issues with updating it, i.e., hanging at the reboot, losing native screen resolution on displays etc.

Not really good news given the time apple had to test and fix these issues.
~Mike

Simon
Posting Junkie
May 15, 2009, 07:31 AM

I can only report that on my main 2.4 GHz MBP (Crestline, not the 9400M model) temperatures have not at all changed since the update.

As usual the update itself caused some load and after the reboot there's the usual caching etc. going on that also creates some load, but once that was over my MBP was behaving just like before. Temps certainly didn't change.

Forum Links
Forum Rules