Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iOS Apps > Change file names of photos in iOS 6

Change file names of photos in iOS 6
phkc070408
Oct 14, 2012, 01:20 AM

I am looking to be able to change the file names of my photos on my iPad. My wife and I are going to Japan next year, and I bought the iPad camera card reader. It's a long flight, and I was hoping to process some of my pictures on the flight on our way home.

If possible, I would like to be able to access photo stream as well. That way, once I rename my pictures, I can transfer them to my home computer when I get a Wifi connection. Also, I may process a few pictures in the hotel at night, so I will have WiFi as well.

PS, I realize I will not have WiFi on the plane, and will not be ale to access my photo stream then. I'm thinking that the Photo Stream will be handy in the future though.

I currently have iPhoto and Photoshop, but am willing to download something else.

Please advise. Thanks all

Cashfan
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 15, 2012, 02:46 PM

are you certain you won't have wifi during your flight? many airlines are implementing wifi solutions during flight, usually for a fee. airplanes on trans-oceanic flights are usually the first in the fleets to be retrofit with the capability. if you haven't already checked with your airline, it would be worth doing so you are sure of all your options.
Jeff

phkc070408  (op)
Oct 15, 2012, 03:49 PM

Even if I do have WiFi on the plane, I still need to know how to change file names of pictures in iOS, whether it be on photo stream or not.

abbaZaba
Mac Elite
Oct 15, 2012, 06:25 PM

get a free dropbox account, open the Dropbox iOS client (which syncs to them your desktop) and rename them from the Finder

phkc070408  (op)
Oct 16, 2012, 03:17 AM

No, I want to rename them on my iPad. I won't have my computer with me.

DarkStarRed
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 16, 2012, 05:10 AM

I'm not sure if there is a free app but you can do it with iPhoto $4.99 for iPad or https://itunes.apple.com/app/photo-manager-pro/id393858562?mt=8
going for $2.99. I couldn't find a way of doing it with the built in Photos.

phkc070408  (op)
Oct 16, 2012, 02:08 PM

I downloaded iPhoto, and can't find out how to do it in there. Can anyone help me out please?

DarkStarRed
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 17, 2012, 10:25 AM

Originally Posted by phkc070408 View Post
I downloaded iPhoto, and can't find out how to do it in there. Can anyone help me out please?
Umm I checked through again & it seems you can add Captions to your photos also name Albums but not individual photos!
You would have to wait until you sync back to iPhoto desktop.

Apple isn't very clear in their advertisement nor their PDF file: http://manuals.info.apple.com/en_US/ipad_user_guide.pdf
that is iOS5 couldn't get iOS6 but it states renaming photo, album which wasn't included in the final version of iOS5.

phkc070408  (op)
Oct 17, 2012, 11:33 AM

I wonder if I can add the captions, and then use my mac, using iPhoto or Apperture, batch process to save copies with the new file name being the caption. I will try this later today or tomorrow, and report back.

phkc070408  (op)
Jan 19, 2013, 02:40 AM

Sorry it took so long for me to get back. Unfortunately, that didn't work. Does anyone else have any ideas?

Forum Links
Forum Rules