Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > GUI Customization > Icon programs

Icon programs
chrisdisregard
Dec 27, 2006, 01:39 PM

( Last edited by chrisdisregard; Nov 23, 2019 at 06:15 PM. )

Mac_X
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 27, 2006, 03:12 PM

I am totally with you on this. I would like to make my own icons, but I'm too cheap and not desperate enough pay for them. I thought photoshop could make them, but I get the icon I made inside a white square... regardlessly if i make background transparent or not.

So I have no answer for you... just have the same request.

©öñFü$íóÑ
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 3, 2007, 06:07 AM

try Iconographer. I've used it back on the old Mac OS 8.x/9.x whenever i wanted to make icons for those old systems AND whenever I wanted to try making Mac OS X icons. I believe it's around $15 dollars (shareware).

In my opinion, it's by far the best and easiest program to use to make icons these days. All you have to do is cut the graphics and their associated 8-bit masks from Photoshop and paste them into Iconographer. Select "Complete Icon", save, and boom... you're done. I like this program because it lets you directly edit the masks while in the program itself..... helps a LOT with translucent glass-like icons.

Mscape Software - Products - Iconographer

Don't bully me, I got an Uzi... HOO-HAH!

eyevaan
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 3, 2007, 10:27 AM

try Iconverter it can take a PSD file and create an icon in the desired format based on its visible layers. Drag and Drop, pretty basic.

chrisdisregard  (op)
Jan 4, 2007, 04:49 PM

( Last edited by chrisdisregard; Nov 23, 2019 at 06:15 PM. )

Forum Links
Forum Rules