Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > It's about time for iChat 2

It's about time for iChat 2
Miniryu
Mac Elite
May 7, 2003, 09:58 PM

...or at least another update. The original iChat was received so well because everyone was under the impression that more features would be added later. As an IM client (which is the only real use for it for most people) it sucks. You can't even take people off of you buddy list! Am I griping or do people feel Apple's other projects deserve more attention from the developers?

"Sing it again, rookie beyach."
My website

gorickey
Posting Junkie
May 7, 2003, 10:09 PM

Can't take people off your buddy list? Ummm, yes you can...it's very easy.

Your update will come with Panther, 10.3!

DrSpookles
May 7, 2003, 10:32 PM

Something I've been hoping for at the very least is the ability to group buddies in the buddy list. Why this was not included in version 1.0 I will never know..
iChat/AOL: DJTcl

snerdini
Senior User
May 7, 2003, 11:42 PM

Originally posted by Miniryu:
You can't even take people off of you buddy list!
1) Click buddy in buddy list
2) Press delete button

But yes, I'm ready for an update too...iChat is pretty buggy.

zachs
Mac Elite
May 8, 2003, 01:24 AM

Besides the much-anticipated video conferencing, I'm hoping for:

- Buddy List groups (hopefully it will be able to use the ones that are already on the AIM server)

- Easier adding of buddies (rather than the current three-click process)

- Better Dock and/or menu notification!

- Animated buddy icons (it's against the HIG, but Apple hasn't exactly stuck to them recently, have they? )

Miniryu  (op)
Mac Elite
May 8, 2003, 01:47 AM

Originally posted by snerdini:
1) Click buddy in buddy list
2) Press delete button

But yes, I'm ready for an update too...iChat is pretty buggy.
2) Edit --->Delete will also work, I have discovered.

"Sing it again, rookie beyach."
My website

DaedalusDX
Mac Enthusiast
May 8, 2003, 02:11 AM

iChat is seriously lacking as a pure IM client in many many ways... The way the buddy list decides to organize itself and reshuffle the names is mind boggling. Its really a horrible buddy list. I go to click on a name, and they shuffle around so fast sometimes that i completely miss it...

Plus, there is no way to group buddies in the buddy list, and the address book integration is a curse sometimes... adding buddies is more difficult than it has to be because one has to associate a buddy with an address book entry.

Away messages don't really work, as in there is no auto-response when i'm in away mode..

And no tabbed window mode! (learn from Safari! use tabs!)

And iChat can get so SLOW too when my system is taxed with other things...

iChat really needs alot of work to become my chat client of choice... but i could still imagine where it would be good and simple for new users... and rendezvous is a good touch, along with file transfers...

All things considered, iChat 1.0 is a mixed bag. Lots of bad, but some good... I'm sure iChat 2.0 will also be a mixed bag, with alot of my concerns gone completely unanswered ( for the sake of simplicity ) but with a bunch of neat new features too... Sigh. At least I still have Adium... version 2.0 in its alpha stages actually integrates with the iChat background client, which is COOL, and gives hope for really decent interface and file transfers to boot... that gives me hope.

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
May 8, 2003, 09:07 AM

Originally posted by DaedalusDX:
iChat is seriously lacking as a pure IM client in many many ways... The way the buddy list decides to organize itself and reshuffle the names is mind boggling. Its really a horrible buddy list. I go to click on a name, and they shuffle around so fast sometimes that i completely miss it...

Plus, there is no way to group buddies in the buddy list, and the address book integration is a curse sometimes... adding buddies is more difficult than it has to be because one has to associate a buddy with an address book entry.

Away messages don't really work, as in there is no auto-response when i'm in away mode..

And no tabbed window mode! (learn from Safari! use tabs!)

And iChat can get so SLOW too when my system is taxed with other things...

I have just the opposite to say about iChat. I think tabbed browsing is LAME, but if you need it, I guess they should give it as an OPTION!!! Sure iChat could use improvement but what application can't. Yes, it is annoying when trying to organize friends (it should be just like iPhoto and iTunes regarding friends). You should be able to make a folder called WORK and one called FRIENDS and display them when at the different locations.

All in all, I consider it a great application with room for improvement. Sure a few features are missing, but what do you expect for a 1.0 application.

Things I would like to see in 2.0
- Video
- Audio
- A Library (like in iTunes and iPhoto)
- Use less resources
- Refine the UI (add more options)
- Away from computer auto reply
- better integration with Mail.app

I'm sure I'm missing a bunch.

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
May 8, 2003, 09:30 AM

Apple sure has a lot to catch up to:

Proteus

[ fb ] [ flickr ] [♬] [scl] [ last ] [ plaxo ]

kman42
Professional Poster
May 8, 2003, 09:34 AM

How about integration with iTunes. I'd love to meet some of the people who are sharing their music on my LAN. Some of their collections kick ass!

kman

Mohammed Al-Sabah
Mac Enthusiast
May 8, 2003, 09:47 AM

never knew click Del deletes contacts thx for da info

xmacintosh
Dedicated MacNNer
May 8, 2003, 10:55 AM

I would like to see an ICQ compatibility!!!

gorickey
Posting Junkie
May 8, 2003, 11:14 AM

Originally posted by mitchell_pgh:
I'm sure I'm missing a bunch.
The only thing I would is a:

Logging Viewer: Blame Adium for getting me hooked on this, but man...it's very essential. The current "save logs" idea in iChat is nice, but when you actually try to go back and find a specific chat, it sucks hardcore! It needs to have a viewer, with built-in searching, just like Adium if you ask me.

anoetic
May 8, 2003, 12:36 PM

I'd like to see buddies in the list seperated by their account. If someone has two or more (work/home) accounts you can't easily see which one they are using or choose which one you want to chat with.

proxyma
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 8, 2003, 10:46 PM

If ichat is already my favorite app, what will be next version ? amazing ?
Virtually yours.

iChat dedicated website :

http://www.ichatmasters.net/

wtmcgee
Mac Enthusiast
May 8, 2003, 10:49 PM

i'm still suprised apple has done nothing to add functionality to iChat over the past year, but as long as they do something really nice with panther, i'll be okay with that.

it just sucks that what i could consider a beta release of a program was one of the big selling points of jaguar (okay, not a big one, but definately one they push a lot). it doesn't seem to be 1.0 quality, with the complete lack of features.

Superchicken
Addicted to MacNN
May 9, 2003, 12:19 AM

Apple should just take proteus's message center interface, but put your whole buddy list in the side, that way to switch between buddies you just click that buddy's name... then agian it might work better to have a left and right column and messages in the center.

either way proteus = awsome aside from a few buggy things about it.

Zimphire
Baninated
May 9, 2003, 11:52 AM

I've been using the iChat/ICQ combo for awhile. I LOVE iChat. But I hate that it can't connect to any other IM networks. At least AIM can connect to ICQ now,

I've been using Fire lately again. It's file transfer ability convinced me. It looks real nice now. They have done a good job.

A few days I'll download the new build source and compile it.

And it's free.

Forum Links
Forum Rules