Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Panther DP1, from installation to day to day use

Panther DP1, from installation to day to day use (Page 4)
Logic
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 26, 2003, 10:41 AM

Originally posted by - - e r i k - -:

Expos� Extreme!
Hmmmm, serial box. Tsk tsk

"If Bush says we hate freedom, let him tell us why we didn't attack Sweden, for example. OBL 29th oct

Lew
Senior User
Jun 26, 2003, 10:43 AM

Originally posted by kman42:
Just to clarify: you mean you can choose NOT to log out, but go to the login screen, thus leaving everything in your account running?

kman
Correct.
Nice! Finally an equivalent to Windows' "Lock Workstation"

- - e r i k - -  (op)
Posting Junkie
Jun 26, 2003, 10:47 AM

Originally posted by Logic:
Hmmmm, serial box. Tsk tsk

Uhm...yeah... that's where I store my serials. Nice interface too

[ fb ] [ flickr ] [] [scl] [ last ] [ plaxo ]

Taipan
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 26, 2003, 11:18 AM

Hi!

jguidroz , did you have any problems installing on the G3? We tried it on a G4 accalerated one, but booting the CD stopped with a panic, the error message said something like "unknown Powermac 1,1". I wonder if the G4 changes the Macs ID to something the installer doesn't recognize (yet).

b3b0p
Forum Regular
Jun 26, 2003, 11:36 AM

Panther sounds awesome and all but there is still one question that I have unanswered.

Does finder still deposit .DS_Store files every where? I love how it leaves a trail of these nasty buggers on shares across the network. The developers and sysadmins love it

Surely I am not the only person wanting a fix for this?

Chris

raharaha
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 26, 2003, 12:20 PM

erik does your illuminated keyboard on your powerbook work, the checkbox on mine is not in the keyboard and mouse settings panel?? please reply

- - e r i k - -  (op)
Posting Junkie
Jun 26, 2003, 12:31 PM

Originally posted by raharaha:
erik does your illuminated keyboard on your powerbook work, the checkbox on mine is not in the keyboard and mouse settings panel?? please reply
Yes, it works and it's in Keyboard and Mouse-panel. But I think now that was what caused the insane flickering, cause it's gone after I turned it off.

Mrjinglesusa
Professional Poster
Jun 26, 2003, 12:34 PM

Not sure if this has been mentioned yet but there is an option in the Classic preference to show Classic status in menu bar. When you do, it is greyed out if not active. The "9" flashes red when starting up and the "9" in the dock icon goes from grey to "filling" yellow. The "9" in the menu bar turns yellow when Classic is running. Better yet, clicking the menu bar icon brings the option to view the OS 9 Apple Menu Items! Sweeeeet....

- - e r i k - -  (op)
Posting Junkie
Jun 26, 2003, 12:37 PM

Originally posted by Mrjinglesusa:
Not sure if this has been mentioned yet but there is an option in the Classic preference to show Classic status in menu bar. When you do, it is greyed out if not active. The "9" flashes red when starting up and the "9" in the dock icon goes from grey to "filling" yellow. The "9" in the menu bar turns yellow when Classic is running. Better yet, clicking the menu bar icon brings the option to view the OS 9 Apple Menu Items! Sweeeeet....
Yeah, I've noticed that. But as I'm not using classic that much I haven't mentioned here yet.

raharaha
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 26, 2003, 12:38 PM

um erik question where is it in the keyboard and mouse panel, i'm looking and all i've got is key repeat rate, delay until repeat, and show eject in menu bar under the keybard tab??

lookmark
Mac Elite
Jun 26, 2003, 12:38 PM

Very nice.

It looks like Apple has been looking at a bunch of the best 3rd-party system add-ons (LiteSwitch, ClassicSpy menu extra, etc), improved 'em, and absorbed them into the mothership.

Mithras
Professional Poster
Jun 26, 2003, 12:43 PM

Erik, do you want to give a try at my question in the other thread (here)?

I'd love to see simultaneous VNC or screencapture use...

King Bob On The Cob
Mac Elite
Jun 26, 2003, 12:53 PM

Open/Save dialogs are STILL different between Cocoa and Carbon. Want proof? Select the box with the folders in in in Carbon and hit a letter on the keyboard. Then do the same with Cocoa.
ME--> <--Apple

benb
Jun 26, 2003, 12:54 PM

Originally posted by Mrjinglesusa:
Wow. I might have to re-install classic and QXP4 to check it out. That and the now double buffering of classic windows sounds great. What a geek I am, that I would install classic and QXP even though I have no use for them.

- - e r i k - -  (op)
Posting Junkie
Jun 26, 2003, 01:03 PM

Originally posted by Mithras:
Erik, do you want to give a try at my question in the other thread (here)?

I'd love to see simultaneous VNC or screencapture use...
Well, I don't really know how to use VPN. Would I need two macs for that? Or could I just connect with any VPN-client?

Anyways, here's a bunch of new screenshots:

GUI for VPN in Internet Connect

Airport Internet Connect

Reserve Battery

Disk Utility S.M.A.R.T. - Like DW3, DU can read the disk's S.M.A.R.T.-info.

DU Journaling - Turn on and off Disk Journaling in Disk Utility

DU Image - Work with images in Disk Utility, include burn

Raharaha, here it is:

Keyboard Illumination

- - e r i k - -  (op)
Posting Junkie
Jun 26, 2003, 01:07 PM

Originally posted by King Bob On The Cob:
Open/Save dialogs are STILL different between Cocoa and Carbon. Want proof? Select the box with the folders in in in Carbon and hit a letter on the keyboard. Then do the same with Cocoa.
ME--> <--Apple
True dat. Stupid Apple

Benb: Yeah, who'd thunk that Apple actually would bother to IMPROVE classic in Panther?

Mithras
Professional Poster
Jun 26, 2003, 01:14 PM

Well, I don't really know how to use VPN. Would I need two macs for that? Or could I just connect with any VPN-client?
Try the second test, it involves no software installation:

1. Log in as one user (say, user1). Set the desktop to something distinctive.
2. 'Fast Switch' to a different user (user2).
3. Turn on the SSH server in Sharing preferences if you haven't already.
4. Open the Terminal as user2. Type
ssh user1@localhost
Type
screencapture /Users/Shared/mydesk.pdf

Now open up this file (in /Users/Shared/), and see what it contains. Did screencapture run at all? Does the file contain user1's desktop?

If it does, hooray!.

raharaha
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 26, 2003, 01:15 PM

uh oh time to reinstall panther, i don't have that section

raharaha
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 26, 2003, 01:36 PM

it might not be there because i archived and installed not upgrade, i'll upgrade now

- - e r i k - -  (op)
Posting Junkie
Jun 26, 2003, 01:44 PM

Now open up this file (in /Users/Shared/), and see what it contains. Did screencapture run at all? Does the file contain user1's desktop?

If it does, hooray!.
Well it doesn't. Myscreen.pdf is a 0 KB file

wulf
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 26, 2003, 01:49 PM

Try the second test, it involves no software installation:

1. Log in as one user (say, user1). Set the desktop to something distinctive.
2. 'Fast Switch' to a different user (user2).
3. Turn on the SSH server in Sharing preferences if you haven't already.
4. Open the Terminal as user2. Type
ssh user1@localhost
Type
screencapture /Users/Shared/mydesk.pdf

The command runs, doesn't return any errors, but the resulting PDF is blank

- - e r i k - -  (op)
Posting Junkie
Jun 26, 2003, 01:53 PM

Originally posted by raharaha:
it might not be there because i archived and installed not upgrade, i'll upgrade now
I did too and I still have it. I just can't seem to find any way to fix the display preferences though. I have to re-install as well

moki
Ambrosia - el Presidente
Jun 26, 2003, 02:34 PM

In an experiment with making Panther work with day to day work I've installed it for one of our Art Directors who had yet to switch to OS X. (Only one left here now).
So let me get this straight... you're taking a pre-release version of Panther that you obtained illegally, installed it on your computer and are posting reviews/pictures of it here. In addition you're installing it on other people's machines in a corporate environment?

I understand your excitement and enthusiasm, and it is certainly true that people want to read information like this, but installing it on other people's machines in a corporate environment is unwise, and also...

It is just this kind of activity that is going to cause Apple to be reticent to give out developmental copies of their OS to the developers who really need it. That you have Serial Box too... sigh.
Andrew Welch / el Presidente / Ambrosia Software, Inc.

conny
Forum Regular
Jun 26, 2003, 02:47 PM

Thanks for all the great screenshots Erik. I still have a question that nobody has answered yet. Can you share an addressbook between multiple users? In jaguar you can set the addressbook location using the defaults command. The problem is that when you make changes to the addressbook it set you as the owner and nobody else have any access (not even read). So you need to run a little script when you login to set yourself as the owner of the addressbook. And it's important this happens before you open Mail otherwise Mail won't be able to read your addresses to execute the rules. This all works but is not really an elegant solution.
This will not work in Panther anymore since two users can be logged in at the same time and you can't do the login trick.
So my question is how can you share an addressbok between two users in Panther?

- - e r i k - -  (op)
Posting Junkie
Jun 26, 2003, 02:57 PM

Originally posted by moki:
It is just this kind of activity that is going to cause Apple to be reticent to give out developmental copies of their OS to the developers who really need it. That you have Serial Box too... sigh.
So, let me get this straight, I have Serial Box and you automaticly assume I'm a pirate? Why don't you just check up on me in your registration database and find that I'm a registered user of a EV Nova.

I'm a big supporter of shareware and I register all software I use and like. I'm a registered user of VersionTracker, SE Clicker, Proteus (in a few days), DragThing, PlayerPRO and even several OS 9 utilities and games I don't use anymore. I have legitimate copies of the complete Adobe-line, Dreamweaver, Microsoft Office and BBEdit. I also have ADToolkit, Graphic Converter and your very own Snapz Pro X through bundles.

So why do I have SB? For stuff that has unnessecarily crippling demos and when I need to evaluate a product longer than the defined period. Sometimes I open stuff, forget about it and when I want to try it again it has expired.

Yeah I installed Panther on a production machine. There's zero chance of lost data since everything is saved on a server (with daily backups) and I can easily boot it back to OS 9 should it mess up. It's time for the whole department to switch over and Panther needs a guniea pig. And so far it's working out much better than Jaguar for a novice X user, so why not?

ckohler
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 26, 2003, 03:00 PM

Work with images in Disk Utility, include burn
Thank you Eric. I was wondering where the ability to burn disk images had gone now that Disc Copy has been removed from the OS.

lookmark
Mac Elite
Jun 26, 2003, 03:01 PM

Originally posted by moki:
So let me get this straight... you're taking a pre-release version of Panther that you obtained illegally, installed it on your computer and are posting reviews/pictures of it here. In addition you're installing it on other people's machines in a corporate environment?
I coun't help but blink at that one as well. I appreciate the review -- it's great -- but I'm not sure that installing Panther in a work environment is all that wise.

I hope at least your art director understands what you're doing, and what she's working with...

- - e r i k - -  (op)
Posting Junkie
Jun 26, 2003, 03:01 PM

Originally posted by conny:
Thanks for all the great screenshots Erik. I still have a question that nobody has answered yet. Can you share an addressbook between multiple users?
No easy way as I can see right now. But I'll definitly investigate possibilities. Can't you just set the database so that everybody has read/write access?

gthyb
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 26, 2003, 03:13 PM

erik, does "check spelling as i type" work in ichat? i get an error.

milfli
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 26, 2003, 03:16 PM

Can you see if the finder records script actions now

go to Applescript Editor click on record, then do something such as open and shut a folder window, then click stop did it type anything in the applescript editor window?
It just works so I don't have to
;-)

Krypton
Mac Elite
Jun 26, 2003, 03:42 PM

Erik, is there anything that makes file sharing more accessible to the average user? I mean as opposed to using drop boxes etc.

- - e r i k - -  (op)
Posting Junkie
Jun 26, 2003, 03:49 PM

Originally posted by milfli:
Can you see if the finder records script actions now

go to Applescript Editor click on record, then do something such as open and shut a folder window, then click stop did it type anything in the applescript editor window?
Yup. Already tested this and it works

- - e r i k - -  (op)
Posting Junkie
Jun 26, 2003, 03:58 PM

Originally posted by Krypton:
Erik, is there anything that makes file sharing more accessible to the average user? I mean as opposed to using drop boxes etc.
I can't see anything obviously new. You can set permissions on any folder you own though.

Deestar
Jun 26, 2003, 04:31 PM

Has the Finder got auto refresh of files or does it still require a click in the window to refresh?
Where there's a will
there's a way..

BZ
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 26, 2003, 04:42 PM

What about iDisk syncing?

Nobody is talking about it but to me, that is one killer option.

BZ

Betox
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 26, 2003, 04:47 PM

Is Brushed Metal the only theme for Mac OS windows???

Can you move the shortcuts on the left of the window: Aplications, Documents, Home, etc. to the top like in Jaguar?
--
QuickSilver 800 Mhz / iBook 500 Mhz / Original 5GB iPod / iPod Shuffle 512 / Mac OS X 10.4 Tiger >> And it IS snappy!

bamburg dunes
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 26, 2003, 04:53 PM

Apache? version 2? anyone? is it?
PIXAR Animation Studios

- - e r i k - -  (op)
Posting Junkie
Jun 26, 2003, 05:07 PM

Originally posted by Deestar:
Has the Finder got auto refresh of files or does it still require a click in the window to refresh?
I'm happy to say that it auto-refreshes the instant you add a file. When I downloaded it showed up simultaneously in Finder and in Safaris download-window

- - e r i k - -  (op)
Posting Junkie
Jun 26, 2003, 05:10 PM

Originally posted by bamburg dunes:
Apache? version 2? anyone? is it?
Documentation says 1.3 still

- - e r i k - -  (op)
Posting Junkie
Jun 26, 2003, 05:14 PM

Originally posted by Betox:
Is Brushed Metal the only theme for Mac OS windows???

Can you move the shortcuts on the left of the window: Aplications, Documents, Home, etc. to the top like in Jaguar?
Yes and Yes. The last has been demonstrated in earlier screenshots in this thread.

Deestar
Jun 26, 2003, 05:19 PM

I'm happy to say that it auto-refreshes the instant you add a file. When I downloaded it showed up simultaneously in Finder and in Safaris download-window
Thanks Erik, it's a huge annoyance with the current finder.
Where there's a will
there's a way..

- - e r i k - -  (op)
Posting Junkie
Jun 26, 2003, 05:21 PM

Originally posted by BZ:
What about iDisk syncing?

Nobody is talking about it but to me, that is one killer option.

BZ
iDisk-syncing I only got to try out once. Browsing was really like browsing my local hard drive both before I synced and after (naturally). But a after that a bug said that the size differed from the local copy and I couldn't access it anymore.

Trying it out now (after turning off syncing) shows that it has erased my entire content. Crap Oh well, live by the alpha, die by the alpha. This is why they call it the bleeding edge.

bamburg dunes
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 26, 2003, 05:34 PM

Documentation says 1.3 still
Cheers erik, you must be knackered after all these posts, but thanks for the updates.
PIXAR Animation Studios

OwlBoy
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 26, 2003, 05:50 PM

Originally posted by lookmark:
I coun't help but blink at that one as well. I appreciate the review -- it's great -- but I'm not sure that installing Panther in a work environment is all that wise.

I hope at least your art director understands what you're doing, and what she's working with...
Yeah, I mean its one thing, to poke at it at home. But its another to use it in a workplace like that, even if it is beta/alpha/whatever. Your company could get it a lot of trouble.

-Owl

Michael_Jackson
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 26, 2003, 06:22 PM

Erik, or anyone else...

is Disc 2 necessary for installation?

Mac Elite
Jun 26, 2003, 06:31 PM

How do you get the fast switching between users working? I couldn't figure that out..

Panther is a nice OS, needs LOTS of work though (it definetely feels like a beta).
( Last edited by 11011001; Jun 26, 2003 at 06:37 PM. )

Mac Elite
Jun 26, 2003, 06:39 PM

Originally posted by Michael_Jackson:
Erik, or anyone else...

is Disc 2 necessary for installation?
eh??

well, you might be able to unselect an options related to it.. like extra applications, printer drivers, extra language support..

foobars
Mac Elite
Jun 26, 2003, 06:55 PM

I dont know if this has been mentioned, but one REALLY cool think I've noticed is the improvement of the Installer.app.

Now, you can open multiple packages while they are installing and they will open in seperate windows, once you get to the install part and another install is going, the install will queue up and wait until the other installs are done... VERY cool.

jasong
Mac Elite
Jun 26, 2003, 07:06 PM

I also noticed that you can also turn off the Preview Pane in Column View now (completely off, as in it doesn't slide over to show anything).

DrSpookles
Jun 26, 2003, 07:12 PM

Originally posted by bamburg dunes:
Cheers erik, you must be knackered after all these posts, but thanks for the updates.
This can't be said enough. I am loving this thread, and can't wait for Panther to come out based on the information here. Thanks very much.
iChat/AOL: DJTcl

Forum Links
Forum Rules