Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Equation editor for Pages?

Equation editor for Pages?
Sharky K.
Mac Elite
Mar 1, 2005, 04:57 AM

I know there is a latex editor than can export to pdf in a document but is there also an other option for people that don't want to get into latex?

skipjack
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 1, 2005, 05:14 AM

Originally posted by Sharky K.:
I know there is a latex editor than can export to pdf in a document but is there also an other option for people that don't want to get into latex?
I haven't yet used Pages, so I'm not sure what you want to do.

One of my favorite equation editors is MathMagic. I like it because you can set up a custom toolbar for commonly used symbols and/or templates, and you also have keyboard shortcuts to all those items.

However, I don't export to pdf. I usually just copy and paste.

jdogg99
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 1, 2005, 09:47 AM

I too am interested in equation editing in both Pages and Keynote. I've looked around a bit, and it seems the only current solution is to use Latex. Everybody who uses Latex loves it, but I don't really have time to play with it and figure it out; this seems like the perfect opportunity for a shareware developer...

JKT
Professional Poster
Mar 1, 2005, 12:19 PM

You are thinking of Equation Service. If you want a quicker/easier means of learning to typeset in LaTeX, you could combine Eq Service with TeXFoG which provides a GUI for generating LaTeX code.

Another alternative is Equation Editor. It to is another LaTeX dependent app, though.

Mac Hammer Fan
Forum Regular
Feb 8, 2008, 01:52 PM

Mathtype works with Pages. Not as good as with Word 2004 where you can use an insert equation command, but better than with Word 2008, where an equation object from MathType, after pasting in a Word document turns into PICT so you can't edit it afterwards in MathType.
If you past a Math Type equation in Pages, you can copy it afterwards and paste again in a Math type window to edit it.
MacPro SixCore 3.33 Westmere - MacBook SR 2.2 Ghz - PowerMac Dual G5 2.3
Besides Macs, I love Gothic Horror Films

TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 8, 2008, 02:07 PM

Why not simply use Grapher from your Utilities folder?

Mac Hammer Fan
Forum Regular
Feb 8, 2008, 02:54 PM

Math Type is much more powerful
MacPro SixCore 3.33 Westmere - MacBook SR 2.2 Ghz - PowerMac Dual G5 2.3
Besides Macs, I love Gothic Horror Films

ptrlbg
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 24, 2008, 04:53 PM

If you have appleworks on your mac you can use the equation editor inside the Carbon-folder and copy-paste into Pages. It will be a vectorgraphic so you can control the size. You can copy-paste back into EE to edit the equation.

Forum Links
Forum Rules