Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Moving applications between 2 macs???

Moving applications between 2 macs???
Hani
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 2, 2005, 12:08 PM

hello all
im still new on the mac scene, just got my new powerbook 3 weeks ago
my brother came to visit and he forgot his software cd wallet back home with all the apps i want (photoshop cs, and office 2k4). but he has them installed on his powerbook, how can i install them on mine without the cd, throught his computer? can i repackage the apps, or just move them from his application folders and put them on cd/dvd?
any insigh on whether this is possible?
thanks

Hi I'm Ben
Mac Elite
Apr 2, 2005, 12:28 PM

Not the best place to ask this question. Illegal things do not go over well here.

albook
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 2, 2005, 01:57 PM

Bad boy!
Please go somewhere else with your Warez talk.

Hani  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 2, 2005, 03:03 PM

this is no way about warez
we purchased the software with our laptops
we are one household with 2 computers
i dont mean of it that way
im sorry if i said something wrong
what if this question was about any free application, im just wandering if this could be done, but this is a 100% legal purchased software from hardworking money
thanks anyways

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Apr 2, 2005, 03:38 PM

With free apps, you would just drag and drop. But Photoshop has a load of configuration and license files, so that wouldn't work. You'd need to track all that crap down and transfer it too.

And just because your brother paid for software doesn't give you a license to use it. One license is one license. (Honestly, with programs like Photoshop, I really don't care that much since home users aren't their bread and butter anyway, but I'm just sayin'.)
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

Hani  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 2, 2005, 04:36 PM

ah ok
thanks a bunch

CaptainHaddock
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 2, 2005, 08:46 PM

I imagine that for complex apps, if you copied over the additional files in ~/Library/Application Support/Adobe and ~/Library/Preferences/ plus the app bundle, it would work.

Angus_D
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 2, 2005, 09:11 PM

Originally posted by Hani:
we purchased the software with our laptops
we are one household with 2 computers
If both you and your brother want to use the software at the same time, you're probably required to buy two licenses.

larkost
Mac Elite
Apr 2, 2005, 09:43 PM

In addition to the whole legality/morality part, Adobe apps also write their registrations to a proprietary binary file. In my tests it was computer specific (but I also made a potential mistake in transit).

Executive summary: you need the installer program... oh... and a valid license...

CaptainHaddock
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 2, 2005, 11:40 PM

Originally posted by larkost:
In addition to the whole legality/morality part, Adobe apps also write their registrations to a proprietary binary file. In my tests it was computer specific (but I also made a potential mistake in transit).
Does that mean the setup tool that transfers your settings and applications when you get a new Mac doesn't work with Adobe apps? That would suck.

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Apr 2, 2005, 11:50 PM

Originally posted by CaptainHaddock:
I imagine that for complex apps, if you copied over the additional files in ~/Library/Application Support/Adobe and ~/Library/Preferences/ plus the app bundle, it would work.
Not really. Many apps that are copy protected (like Photoshop) try all sorts of things to make it hard for you to do this, like hiding information in an invisible file, making the files computer-specific, or doing something else you may not expect.

For freeware/shareware stuff, though, yes, it'll just be drag-and-drop most of the time.

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Apr 3, 2005, 02:22 AM

Originally posted by CaptainHaddock:
Does that mean the setup tool that transfers your settings and applications when you get a new Mac doesn't work with Adobe apps? That would suck.
I bet it does. I have some friends (no, really � I've got my own legit copy) who have...erm...transferred Photoshop. A total copy of all the config folders should work.
Chuck
___

Sharky K.
Mac Elite
Apr 3, 2005, 07:10 AM

common, this is why photoshop is populair, everyone is using it also for non-professional use.
Good OS X applications should just be installed by dragging one app file to your application directory but a lot of developers don't get that sadly.
An installer is a real negative point in my book for buying software.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Apr 3, 2005, 12:24 PM

Originally posted by Sharky K.:
common, this is why photoshop is populair, everyone is using it also for non-professional use.
No, Photoshop was quite popular back when many people didn't even use PCs. It's popular because it's a high-quality, professional-grade program that no others come even close to touching, and thus it's the industry standard.

Good OS X applications should just be installed by dragging one app file to your application directory but a lot of developers don't get that sadly.
An installer is a real negative point in my book for buying software.
Normal apps can be installed just by drag-and-drop, but Photoshop is more than that. In order to do what it does, you cannot install it just by "dragging one app file to your application directory."
Chuck
___

Sharky K.
Mac Elite
Apr 3, 2005, 06:38 PM

Originally posted by Chuckit:
No, Photoshop was quite popular back when many people didn't even use PCs. It's popular because it's a high-quality, professional-grade program that no others come even close to touching, and thus it's the industry standard.

Normal apps can be installed just by drag-and-drop, but Photoshop is more than that. In order to do what it does, you cannot install it just by "dragging one app file to your application directory."
I use Photoshop professionally (I own a copy) but I have to disagree, I think it is a horrible(!) designed application that gets the job done.
So what if it is a industry standard, I soooo do not care.
Photoshop is also a normal application that could be drag-dropped, again bad designed application that does not follow the HIG.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Apr 3, 2005, 08:19 PM

I use Photoshop professionally (I own a copy) but I have to disagree, I think it is a horrible(!) designed application that gets the job done.
So what if it is a industry standard, I soooo do not care.
Then show me a better program with the same or more capabilities.

Photoshop is a program that is where it is because it rocks so hard. Contrast this with QuarkXpress, which is the industry standard because many people are too lazy to learn anything else, but is still being quickly overtaken by InDesign.

Photoshop is also a normal application that could be drag-dropped, again bad designed application that does not follow the HIG.
Photoshop installs several required Adobe fonts into /Library/Fonts. This would not have worked with a drag-and-drop installation. It also installs a shitload more components, though I'm too lazy to go through the trouble of checking how many of these could have been consolidated. Suffice it to say that Photoshop needs to put things in the Library folder, and an installer is the logical way to do this.
Chuck
___

Sharky K.
Mac Elite
Apr 4, 2005, 05:10 AM

Then show me a better program with the same or more capabilities.
This is a nonsense argument, how good a program is has absolutely nothing to do with alternatives.

Photoshop is a program that is where it is because it rocks so hard. Contrast this with QuarkXpress, which is the industry standard because many people are too lazy to learn anything else, but is still being quickly overtaken by InDesign.

Photoshop installs several required Adobe fonts into /Library/Fonts. This would not have worked with a drag-and-drop installation. It also installs a shitload more components, though I'm too lazy to go through the trouble of checking how many of these could have been consolidated. Suffice it to say that Photoshop needs to put things in the Library folder, and an installer is the logical way to do this. [/B]
Photoshop doesn't install that much components really.
Fonts should be in a directory on the cd so people can choose which fonts to install and which not to install and where to install (user/computer). Again if Photoshop requires some fonts that has to be installed it is a bad designed application.
All normal OS X apps copies application support files on startup of the application and there should be no more.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Apr 4, 2005, 05:44 AM

This is a nonsense argument, how good a program is has absolutely nothing to do with alternatives.
Since my original assertion was that Photoshop's popularity arises from the fact that there is no other app anywhere near as good as it, I think you have just conceded the point.

All normal OS X apps copies application support files on startup of the application and there should be no more.
Now, THIS is a nonsense argument, given that most of the standard OS X apps (or any of Apple's, really) are not installed through drag-and-drop. Safari, iTunes, iLife, iWork, Final Cut Pro � it appears you're inventing some standard for OS X apps that Apple itself is unaware of. In other words, you're expressing a personal preference.
Chuck
___

CaptainHaddock
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 4, 2005, 05:44 AM

Photoshop installs several required Adobe fonts into /Library/Fonts.
If it does, it shouldn't. Adobe applications have their own application font directories inside the app bundles.

Looking at my ~/Library, I don't see any Adobe stuff besides the preferences. I see nothing that requires an installer.

Personally, I think it's just the Windows mentality of taking control away from the user that prompts big companies like Adobe to write unnecessary installers. Anyway, judging from the decision to put product activation into CS2, Adobe is not really interested in what its customers want, but merely with what its customers will put up with.

Sharky K.
Mac Elite
Apr 4, 2005, 06:24 AM

Since my original assertion was that Photoshop's popularity arises from the fact that there is no other app anywhere near as good as it, I think you have just conceded the point.

Now, THIS is a nonsense argument, given that most of the standard OS X apps (or any of Apple's, really) are not installed through drag-and-drop. Safari, iTunes, iLife, iWork, Final Cut Pro � it appears you're inventing some standard for OS X apps that Apple itself is unaware of. In other words, you're expressing a personal preference.
In Mac OS classic it was a great application but that is not the way Mac OS X works and looks.
Apple doesn't follow its own rules very well such as we have seen with the updaters that require Pages and Keynote 2 to be in the iWork directory for example and change the permissions of that directory.

Forum Links
Forum Rules